Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Ducati and am very nervous about buying due to the cost and all the tech that can go wrong. I usually stick to the KISS method but this bike is so awesome I really want one. I've researched all I can on the interweb at this point and have come to the conclusion that most problems are small and fixable, and some of the other problems look like the tech didn't know what they were doing, and this bike should always be under warranty due to the repair costs. I can deal with all of that.

Here is what I don't know

1, has the wobble that people complain about on the 1200 been fixed with the 1260?
2, have the rear brakes/bleeding been fixed, I see so many posts on this and can't imagine this should still be a problem however the one I test rode seemed like the rear brakes were weak but at the time I didn't think anything of it for some reason.

Other than that this is the time to talk me out of this bike. I know this is a Ducati forum so there will be some bias but I really want to know the BS now. Have you ever bought a new bike and the very second you own it someone comes up and tells you some nasty thing about your bike thats true that you wish you would have known prior to buying LOL.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
I’ve never had a problem with a wobble. However, I am a heavy guy and have a small Pikes Peak windscreen. My rear brake is definitely crap, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a 1200 dvt, never had a wobble, and every Ducati has shitty rear brakes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really, so whats the deal with the brakes, never mind, I'll do a search but that really sucks.

Anyone have more info on the wobble?

Ha ha, funny video but that is not me at all, well sort of LOL. The multi fits me and all other bikes in this category are too Fing tall. If they weren't I would consider one so do another video of me keep saying over and over that its too tall, its too tall, its too tall. >:)

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't have a pre-18 to compare it to, but IIRC one of the improvements on the 1260 was a redesigned seat that is narrower in the middle, which helps with getting your feet down flat.

The geometry of the 1260 was lengthened both at the fork and the swingarm, in an effort to reduce wobble/instability. Some people claim it slowed the handling down. Gone largely unnoticed, is that Ducati made a similar change to the Panigale V4, didn't hear any complaints about slower handling on that bike.

If you're only considering a 1260, you're in the wrong place to get talked out of a Multistrada. :) If you're also considering an older model, it's a value proposition; how much value do you place on the QS/Cruise/better fueling/nicer dash display? The 1260 is not a revolutionary design change, it's an evolution of the 2015. If you like one, you'll probably like the other.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'll chime in that my '16 has never had any wobble. Even with all three bags in place at speeds well in excess of the limit printed on the sticker.

Back brake is crap. My dealer (who I have no complaints with) just basically said, "It is what it is."

• The ABS unit is the high point of the rear brake system. Any bubbles that get up there are massively difficult to get out.
  • The bleeder on the rear caliper is the low point of the system. Only way to get bubbles out of the caliper are to dismount the wheel, unbolt the caliper, turn it upside down and raise it as high as the tubing allows.
  • The rear master cylinder is near the catalytic converter and bakes the everloving shit out of the fluid, compounding the first two bullets.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 2011 and its my fav bike ive ever owned...

-Never had any Wobble, and i ride very spirited/sport ride.
-I basically dont have a rear brake, but im used to it by now.

I chose the 2011 because i didnt want all the electronic stuff and also the bike has a more "raw" feel to than the newer ones. (not saying anything bad about the new ones) just my preference.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Really, so whats the deal with the brakes, never mind, I'll do a search but that really sucks.

Anyone have more info on the wobble?

Ha ha, funny video but that is not me at all, well sort of LOL. The multi fits me and all other bikes in this category are too Fing tall. If they weren't I would consider one so do another video of me keep saying over and over that its too tall, its too tall, its too tall. >:)
I have both a Panigale and a Monster and relative to those two, yes, it feels tall and heavy.
However, the Multistrada gets a lot smaller once you're moving. In fact, it gets smaller the faster you go. Very impressive bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just bought a 1260 and now have about 3500 miles on it. The good: awesome bike, great handling, no wobble that notice, great technology.
The bad: dealer network is slim, too many things are "normal". Ie leaking front brake reservoir, front brake pads dragging below 5 mph, and oil consumption. I am up in western north Carolina at the moment and ride the bike pretty hard all day through the tail and cherhola skyway etc. Pre ride check showed engine oil full. 200 miles of riding through the mtns at a brisk pace, the oil level is below the low level line. It isn't leaking anywhere, so it must have burned it. I cant find a shop up here that carries the 15-50 oil it needs, so rather than enjoy the rest of my vacation riding here, I'll go home and drop the bike off at the dealer.
That is something I wish I knew before I bought it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pre ride check showed engine oil full. 200 miles of riding through the mtns at a brisk pace, the oil level is below the low level line. It isn't leaking anywhere, so it must have burned it.
Obviously you have your bike and you checked it, but I am HIGHLY skeptical that you "burned" that much oil on a 200 mile ride. I have 6 Ducati's ranging from 1965 to 2016 and have never seen such a thing. I also rode a 1260 in Europe last month over 1000 miles and the oil didn't move a noticeable amount from start to finish.

How long are you leaving it to "settle" to check your post-ride level? Need more than an hour IMO.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I've had mine 5 weeks/1600 miles. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I had a 2011 before, so already familiar with the platform. My rear brake on the 1260 continues to be fine. My 2011 effectively had no rear brake. My understanding is the problem is resolved by now on the DVTs. No oil consumption on my 1260, never had any consumption on the 2011 either (or any Ducati). Go get a Multi and enjoy it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks for all the replies but you all failed to talk me out of getting one so you loose and I win at least when I pick one up. Now I have to decide to get one now or wait until next summer and get a 2019, hmmm, what to do, what to do?

·
Registered
70 Posts
No, definitely don't get it. Its the best bike ever, you'd hate it.

Its my first ducati also, and all my worries are gone after riding it. The clutch takes a bit to get used to, I killed the engine quite a few times, and I also dropped it the first day I had it. Dropped it because my foot slipped in wet gravel and I wasn't used to the height or weight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bummer you dropped yours, how tall are you? I'm 5' 8" and fit really good on this bike with the seat set on low. The first time I took off on one I killed it too but after that I thought the clutch/throttle was really easy once I got the feel of it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had had my 1260 S about a month and at 900 miles the bike stared to misfire. Took it into the dealer and there were no codes showing so they stared to work with Italy. Took almost 3 weeks but turned out to be something very like way to much ease in the spark plug boots. New wires (took a week to get here) and plugs and bike is running great. But the Rox adjustable risers on it and simply wonderful getting the heigh and pull back. Only downside is if the windshield is in the low position a bit hard to lock the forks
as I also had 20mm cut off the bars which brings my hand in a bit more narrow and gave me the extra cable length. Tomorrow getting the seat worked on as I truly have the way I slide on the seat even in a level position. Spend 16 days in the Alps recently with this model bike so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. So much lighter and more agile than my FJR so overall very happy with the bike and the dealer I purchased it from.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bummer you dropped yours, how tall are you? I'm 5' 8" and fit really good on this bike with the seat set on low. The first time I took off on one I killed it too but after that I thought the clutch/throttle was really easy once I got the feel of it.
I'm 5'9", 31" inside leg. With or without a passenger I found the rental bike I had on my 2-week Norway tour to be surprisingly low (i.e. flat-footing or knees bent when moving around the parking lot, rather than being on tippy-toes all the time), but I asked Edelweiss for the low seat!

I also stalled a few times through the tour, but usually at the start of the day, and only until it had really warmed up and I got more used to the clutch vs. my FJR or VFR... You just have to handle her properly. :wink2:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just some food for thought on the buy now/later issue. As the 1260 was just released in 2018, I wouldn't expect anything new, other than a color on the 2019's. That said, you're coming into a very good time to buy depending on where you live as the temps are coming down. If you wait much past mid-February dealers will start getting ready for the summer sales rush and likely won't discount as much.

Having said all that, I just rode a 1200S and a 1260S last week and actually preferred the 1200. At 5'11" with a 31" inseam, the 1200 was more comfortable to me. While the fueling was nicer on the 1260, I didn't find it to be so superior that I couldn't enjoy owning a 1200 and will be picking one up over the winter. The point being, if you haven't already, and money is an issue, you can save a lot if you like the 1200S. If you haven't ridden a 2015-2017 1200 yet, you might wanna try one.

Enjoy whatever you decide on and ride safe...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts