Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My SB6 came already loaded with lots of aftermarket parts. Like most bikes originally brought in by Bob Smith, it got the full treatment. Moto Corse parts including the full ti exhaust, billet rearsets, billet upper fairing stay, c/f clip-ons, lightweight sprocket, titanium rear brake mount, even the titanium sidestand. Also has the Brembo GP billet brake master cylinder, billet clutch cylinder, GP Calipers, and GP Race levers, billet shock resevour clamp, Paioli titanium fork tubes kit, jet kit, Bimota ram air cold air kit, Mansson Titanium fasteners everywhere, just everything.

I've never put it on a scale or dyno but according to the first owner it weighed 396# with oil and gas and made 156 rwhp. Not sure if that's accurate or not but it does rip - I've had some fast bikes in my time including a built 900RR and this Bimota is easily the fastest.

I really can't leave anything alone though, so since picking it up from Bimota Spirit last summer I've done a few (cosmetic) things to it.
Touched up the (few) rock chips, they were already hard to notice, now next to impossible.
Bimota Corse wheel stickers from a guy on eBay. They actually look pretty good.
Trimmed rear fender so it looks like a US-based bike instead of Euro.
Re-upholstered seat in black alcantara suede with embroidered Bimota "b" logo in red/white on the back pad.
I even had Rob at tapeworks send me a red/white "b" logo sticker for the carbon rear fender because I saw an old Cycle World road test from 1995 and that bike had one. Yeah it's under the license plate but I know it's there.

I know, sick.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Which version do you have ?

( Undertail exhaust , '95 to '96 or side pipe '97 to '98 version )

Having both, I would guess weight to be at least 50 Lbs higher.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1995. I have the undertail version, two pipes exiting above the taillight. Not sure the weight savings, but it's a full ti system and I've been told that it's A LOT lighter than stock.

Nobody else wants to talk about their bikes?????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey. I am new to the Bimota thing. '96 SB6. I did not know all of the accessories on your bike were ever available. I would love to see some pictures of your bike!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, my first post here- I own a '84 SB4S. I spent 20 years trying to find an early Bimota. Its loaded with options: pearl paint, twin pot redline brembos,Camponola rims. It has the original "origin of vechicle" papers and custom order papers from MotoSports with under 10,000 miles. It is a beautiful bike but its got a full race riding position and I dont really like to ride it much- so It sits in the garage looking good most of the day. I need to find out how to post pics and I will post a few. regards dave (ohio-USA)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi, my first post here- I own a '84 SB4S. I spent 20 years trying to find an early Bimota. It is a beautiful bike but its got a full race riding position and I dont really like to ride it much- so It sits in the garage looking good most of the day. I need to find out how to post pics and I will post a few. regards dave (ohio-USA)
Well I think you shoud ride it, that's why the build them.
The DB2 I have is the only one here in BC but I ride it as much as I can. It has had a lot of changes done to it over the years. The first owner in Germany wanted FI so he had it shipped to the factory and it is now an SR. The second owner liked to play also and he did most of the work(Then he had it the longest). Mag wheels, Brembo full float brakes, SB6 46mm forks for which he had special parts made. I am going through it every winter to take care of any issues that are or could be a problem. Last year was tires, bearings, a new Speedcell battery(still working perfectly) This year I want to redo all the wire connections with more modern waterproof type connectors and check the charging system. Then there is the weight reduction plan and a new body kit that will need to be painted. I will then have both body styles.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
281 Posts
You tickled a nerve. I like to talk about my DB2, one of my most favorite possessions.

It's a '94 and came from Bob Smith's distributorship with red frame and red, purple and white full fairing with carbs from the factory. As I recall, most in this color combo were FI. Early on, I added the factory carbon twin cans and more recently, due to a broken cylinder stud, upgraded the engine with a 944 kit, higher compression pistons and Keihen 41mm flatslides with K&Ns. I also got rid of the coffin style hydraulic reservoirs in favor of the 916 variety with accompaning perches and levers and GP calipers...much tastier IMHO. Its now got 6,000 miles as I only ride it about once every other month. But it sits with a fully charged battery, pointed out the garage door with a cover, ready to give me another big grin every time. I've several other rides that are more replaceable, should the worst happen, so I do go light on the DBWorm. But even among my 916, 907ie, Hyper S, Beemer K1200S and a multitude of singles, it's still a terrific rush every time I mount up and enjoy the power-ride-sound quaity combo.

Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL

·
Registered
4 Posts
greetings from down under.... ok, I'm obviously outnumbered by the SB's and DB's, but I have a Japanese spec YB8 EXUP, wearing Dieci bodywork.

I've read a few positive and a few negative stories on the YB series, but mine is pretty well sorted except for a few minor issues (fuel pump replaced, new rear disc, and looking for fork bushes at the moment). Here's some shots.

I've owned a few special bikes over the years (Ducati MHR 1000, Triumph Speed Triple, Yamaha RD 350LC, Honda CB1100RC, worked GSXR 750's etc etc) but this thing is amazing. It truly was years ahead of its time when released.

Future plans ? - not much really. Maybe a new end can to provide some acoustic warning and extra safety when closing on the tin tops, but apart from that I'll be focussing on getting the suspension freshened and tuned properly.

Its great to see others with a passion for the unusual. Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey. I am new to the Bimota thing. '96 SB6. I did not know all of the accessories on your bike were ever available. I would love to see some pictures of your bike!
Thanks. Yeah there are lots of accessories for these bikes. Mine has one of just about everything. I really enjoy it.

Here are a couple pics.

Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi CBT that is a fine looking bike you have, will keep my eyes open for you in Perth, think I might have even seen you around ocean reef road few weekends ago :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi CBT that is a fine looking bike you have, will keep my eyes open for you in Perth, think I might have even seen you around ocean reef road few weekends ago :)
LOL - What a small world. But no, mine has been off the road for a few weeks with the forks in bits looking for new bushes. Maybe I've seen your avatar on the PSB forum?

:D

cheers

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
CBT said:
.... I've owned a .... Ducati MHR 1000 ....
English is not my first language, but I'm afraid that you are indeed saying that you sold the Hailwood Replica?? :eek: Shame on you

Isn't it a shame that we can't keep all our (old) bikes? I don't think that I've yet let go of a special bike, but sure wish that I still had my little CB400FII, the R75/7, ......

Nice bike you have and welcome on the forum.

RonB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts