Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Can the GT1000 handle the track? I mean are parts going to be dragging all over?

If you could post your track experience with your GT I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Remove your kickstand

First of all, hang off as much as possible. It is very easy to drag the kickstand on lefthand turns on the GT.

I don't mind dragging hard parts, and I dragged it through turn 11 at Thunderhill for about 12 laps a couple weeks ago. Then I had a very scary moment in turn 11 later in the day. I was leaned over, dragging kickstand, when suddenly the kickstand levered the rear of the bike up and away from the ground. For a split second my rear tire popped off the ground and my rear end was sliding on the kickstand and the left Termi.

Somehow I got righted and went right into the pit and pulled the kickstand off. That was the scariest moment I've *ever* had on a bike, and I commuted across the Bay Bridge for 3 years on a 500cc Interceptor...

Point is, take your kickstand off and you'll be fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
GT can be a good track bike

I have done a lot of track miles on a GT. I live close to a track and love that type of riding. Once you have made your mind up and get out there you will be surprised how good they are.

The pegs and header pipe used to grind away when I first started. After a while I had to get the adjustable pegs and adjusted riding style to avoid wearing a hole in the front header pipe.

Good suspension $ and set up is the key to maintaining corner speed and beating the clock. The brakes are good.

My engine and transmission have taken a trashing and are still in excellent condition. These bikes turn slow and are hard work with no fairing. I am physically buggered the next day. I have recently fitted custom clip ons and the WASP power kit. This has added a new dimension to the bike. A few unschedualled events! End of the day this bike has got good respect at the track because the lap times are good and she never brakes down or dumps oil.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

That's the info I need to know. I wish there was a way to put rear sets on and off this bike easily without changing so many parts.

You see this bike is my do it all and I still need to ride 2up every once in a while. But I digress, I will remove the stand for sure when I get out there.

Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not yet man, hopefully by the end of the month. But once I do I will give a full report.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You will have to hang off significantly in hard corners to keep from dragging stuff. Get a good aftermarket rear shock or bump up the preload to max if running the stocker. Other than that, it's a blast! I've run mine a couple times in the B group at Loudon NH, which is tight but fairly slow track. It performs well enough for that.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Thanks guys,

That's the info I need to know. I wish there was a way to put rear sets on and off this bike easily without changing so many parts.

You see this bike is my do it all and I still need to ride 2up every once in a while. But I digress, I will remove the stand for sure when I get out there.

Thanks
Dietrich has a set of adjustable pegs. You should do a search for his post on them. Not the same adjustability as proper rear sets, but you should be able to raise them up a little for the track and lower them for the street pretty easily.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dietrich makes these pegs? Thanks

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Here's the thread on the pegs I mounted. They are working great, no more vibrations than stock, and the riding position feels much more balanced from where I was at. Only issue is the reach to the shift lever (brake lever is not a problem at all). I put eccentric lever tips on, but the adjustment is not quite enough to get them in a sweet spot. They work fine for me as it though. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=69960&highlight=man's+rearsets

PS - I did touch the adjustable peg down still before hanging off more, as evident in this vid. One of the first passes you can hear it scrape, and I hang off more on passes after that to prevent it: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=70798&highlight=saddle+tramps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts