Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
if you look a couple of inches up or to the left on this page you should see an add for THE FLEDA system. I believe it's 99% similar. with the USD exchange rate these days, I'm sure it's probably cheaper than in the UK...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nice looking kit.. it looks like it shaves about $175 off the FLEDA system and plate bracket, but I wonder if it's bright enough that it wouldn't give an excuse for a traffic stop and a ticket?

...edited to add that if you go through bing.com then you save 8% off the ebay purchase, so that would put it under $300.

P

·
0 Posts
Nice looking kit.. it looks like it shaves about $175 off the FLEDA system and plate bracket, but I wonder if it's bright enough that it wouldn't give an excuse for a traffic stop and a ticket?

...edited to add that if you go through bing.com then you save 8% off the ebay purchase, so that would put it under $300.
Lots of "apples & oranges" here......

The "Tail Tidy" system
shown on eBay has a lot fewer flexible LEDs then any of the FLEDA Systems.

This "Tail Tidy" system uses about 30 LEDs for the brake and tail light functions and 15 LEDs on each side for the turn signal functions.

The FLEDA-NX-SR (next generation single row system) uses a total of 100 LEDs for the brake and tail light functions and 35 LEDs on each side for the turn signal functions. The FLEDA-NX-SR uses "dual element" LEDs where each individual LED has TWO emitters, one RED and one AMBER.
This system sells for $399 USD.

The FLEDA-DR-WD & FLEDA-DR-WD-GT Systems have two rows of RED 100 LEDs for brake and tail light functions. This is a total of 200 LEDS!!! Both these systems use the very bright Watsen Design 3 watt LED turn signals.
These systems sell for $349 USD.

The PAK BIKES under FLEDA or under seat license plate brackets with black illuminated frame was selling for $99. Price has just been reduced to $69 USD.

Shipping and handling on any FLEDA System with either license plate setup is $19 USD. International sale vary depending on destination but it typically runs about $65 USD for US Postal Service's Express Mail Service.

"Tail Tidy" system observations and comments:

#1 Where wires pass through the metal plate there should be grommets or some other protection so the wiring doesn't get damaged by the vibration of the bike.

#2 It is not apparent to me that the license plate bracket would be easily adaptable to the standard US plate. I have the same issue with international customers BUT have a pretty good work around. I don't supply the illuminated frame but I install a illuminated bar across the top of the license plate bracket.

#3. I am not sure why the posting on eBay for the "Tail Tidy" system is showing a photo of the stock Ducati tail light harness. I have been able to "source" the stock connectors and have incorporated them them in all FLEDA Systems so it is truly "plug & play" systems.

You can do the math.... ;)

Thanks
Phil

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Phil -

When I first saw this, I had a sense that eiher it was a rip-off or a cheap knock-off. I guess #2 is the right answer (pun intended). :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Phil - The number of LEDs is nearly irrelevant since there are so many different type of LEDs on the market. A good example of this: your SR kits use 35 LEDs on each side for turn signals, but your DR systems only use 1 LED on each side for turn signals. It doesn't mean your DR system puts out less light (I'd bet that 3 watt LED puts out more light than the 35 standard LEDs..). If you and the other manufacturers would provide the number of lumens your LEDs put out it would help compare.. but from looking at most other LED kits for other bikes most people buy into the "more LEDs = better" marketing thing and don't question the quality of the LEDs used so the manufacturers just provide the number of LEDs.. .

And agreed, comparing your kits to this tidy kit is apples to oranges. Also, with the realization that the shipping to the US for that tail tidy kit is $71 and the drop in price for your tag bracket the difference in price drops to about $75.

To me the price isn't as important as the safety factor and the "hassle" factor of something like this attracting the attention of the cops (who then ask if it's DOT legal, etc). The tail tidy kit just seems so small, with such a small number of LEDs, that it might be nearly invisible during the day (when I ride the most) and so wouldn't be as safe as the stock lights and would be a good excuse for the cops to pull me over. But... you're using single 3 watt LEDs for turn signals and it seems pretty effective.

P

·
0 Posts
Phil -

When I first saw this, I had a sense that eiher it was a rip-off or a cheap knock-off. I guess #2 is the right answer (pun intended). :D
Hey Gary...

Actually I like the way the sheet metal is designed. It really is a pretty good setup. I have to believe the guy when he states "...at this cost, barley cover the materials used in production."

I just don't think there is enough "light" from the limited number of LEDs to function effectively.

Interesting that he states he is getting his flexible arrays from Custom Dynamics. Custom Dynamics hasn't sold these types of flexible LEDs for a long time now..... The flexible LED array(s) used in the "Tail Tidy" look identical to the one I use in the FLEDA System. I get mine from Radiantz Hardcore Lighting here in Oregon. Radiantz is the manufacturer and only supplier I am aware of right now. Custom Dynamics did get these from Radiantz but that's no longer the case. I am guessing this guy bought some old stock at one's quantity pricing hence his issue with cost.

Not sure I would call the "Tail Tidy" a cheap knock off but it certainly is a expensive "knock off" of the PAK BIKES FLEDA SYSTEMS. :think:

I tried to patent the FLEDA design BUT ran into all kinds of complications related to patenting a motorcycle tail light system. The US Patent Office thinks a tail light is a tail light is a tail light.... There has to be something functionally unique about the design. The FLEDA Systems are more of unique application of existing components. The flexible arrays are patented by Radiantz.

Most folks trying to come up with a design for this sort of product soon realize there are LOTS of hidden costs associated not only with the product itself but LOTS of hidden costs associated with running a business.
Trust me! ;)

P

·
0 Posts
Phil - The number of LEDs is nearly irrelevant since there are so many different type of LEDs on the market. A good example of this: your SR kits use 35 LEDs on each side for turn signals, but your DR systems only use 1 LED on each side for turn signals. It doesn't mean your DR system puts out less light (I'd bet that 3 watt LED puts out more light than the 35 standard LEDs..). If you and the other manufacturers would provide the number of lumens your LEDs put out it would help compare.. but from looking at most other LED kits for other bikes most people buy into the "more LEDs = better" marketing thing and don't question the quality of the LEDs used so the manufacturers just provide the number of LEDs.. .

And agreed, comparing your kits to this tidy kit is apples to oranges. Also, with the realization that the shipping to the US for that tail tidy kit is $71 and the drop in price for your tag bracket the difference in price drops to about $75.

To me the price isn't as important as the safety factor and the "hassle" factor of something like this attracting the attention of the cops (who then ask if it's DOT legal, etc). The tail tidy kit just seems so small, with such a small number of LEDs, that it might be nearly invisible during the day (when I ride the most) and so wouldn't be as safe as the stock lights and would be a good excuse for the cops to pull me over. But... you're using single 3 watt LEDs for turn signals and it seems pretty effective.

You are spot on about brightness vs number of LEDs....

The Watsen Design 3 watt LEDs are very bright. I tell folks if they ever get "pulled over" for not having turn signals just point them out and when the officer leans over to get a close look turn on the turn signals. Experience has shown you have about 15 seconds to make a clean get away.

I should market these things as "Tactical Turn Signals".:rolleyes:

Roger Watsen is using OSRAM Golden Dragon Plus LEDs in his Sport Classic products. These are the same LEDs Audi is using for their daytime eyebrow running lights. Roger "drives" these LEDs pretty hard so they are very bright.

As a side note: Not only is light out important when making comparisons between LEDs but also color is very important. OSRAM states their RED Golden Dragon Plus LEDs are about 30% brighter then their AMBER units. Roger thinks in actual application they are about twice a bright. I am guessing that Roger figure takes into account that the human eye may perceive red better then amber and OSRAM is using a much less subjective approach.

So if you can use rear facing RED colored turn signals then you might consider these. I can build the FLEDA-DR-WD Systems with RED winkers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts