Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gearing up for a trip and need a little more space then the little side bags provide. Anyone have any luck with a tail bag or similar set up to carry camping gear?

Thanks
t_bare

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hey Todd.................

...........check out the Moto Fizz bags sold by Aerostich. I have the small one & like it alot. Many compartments & a lot of nice features & expandable. I got some Sniders Paint Guard from Aerostich to protect the paint on my tail section where the straps rub. The small bag isn't going to hold much gear but there are 2 bigger sizes. (The large one must be HUGE!)
RKA (www.rka-luggage.com) has some seat bags that look interesting. They have a pad that straps to your seat & the bag attaches to that. Never saw one in person- just on thier web-site. I do have 2 RKA tankbags & they make a great product.
Hey, we're practically neighbors! Hope this helps.
Gregg

The picture is of the Moto Fizz, but not real good. I just remembered I have a Nelson Rigg seat bag that you could borrow if you wanted (or I'd let it go cheap). Let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Ventura rack and bags work for me when I need more space either alone or with the wife. Typically with my set up I have room for two sleeping bags and self-inflating mattresses, tent, wet weather gear, tinned and packaged food for a day or two, and other misc items. If I need more then I'll use my tank bag.

I actually tend to use the Ventura bags more than the Ducati ones.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I just purchased the RKA tank and tail bag and completed a 2000 mile trip with them. Though I wasn't camping, I found them very functional and easy to use.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Be sure you aren't taking too much stuff. Most people do. I prefer packing a different way rather than adding another bag. Check out:
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Helen_Twowheels_Bags_and_Straps
Scroll down to the pdf of the super packing system. Everything fits nicely across the seat and on top of the hard bags. Very secure and accessible.
agreed. I normally don't take the seat bag but I wanted to bring my laptop this trip and it fit nicely in there along with a pouch of chargers, extra face shield and a few small odds and ends. I can fit all my clothes in one side case, and the other has tools, extra liners (heated and cooling), extra gloves, rain gear and spray polish and chain lube. It's snug but everything I needed for a week long tour fit in both side cases. of course I was hotel'ing and not camping, but these old bones want a soft bed and a hot shower every night. :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Just like his post says...............

It looks like you have a rack under that pack. Will you share the brand and source?
............it's a Ventura rack system. I would imagine you could do a Google search for a source.
Gregg

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the replies and great photos, I am really getting jazzed about my trip. I found a water proof dry bag from West Marine that I will strap across the rear seat. I just needed something for my tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad. I ended up buying all new camping gear that is smaller and lighter.

Cheers,
t_bare

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have the ventura rack and bag on my 03 R1 and partner has the same set up on her MV, most of them fit without any modification and take plenty of gear, do tend to be more top heavy than saddle bags but don't have the towing an anchor effect of the saddle bag air brake dilemma

·
Registered
273 Posts
+1 on the Ventura pack. Very convenient!!!

And its a nice smaller rack when you need a round town place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts