Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not crazy about Panniers and I am thinking either a tank bag or tail bag? Any suggestions ? I think The bike rides better without panniers

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am not crazy about Panniers and I am thinking either a tank bag or tail bag? Any suggestions ? I think The bike rides better without panniers
When just for local riding I use a a Twisted Throttle 10l tail bag.
For traveling there are some really nice wp dry bags, check Givi.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Personally I hate tail bags because they make it harder to swing my leg over the bike, tank bags have their downsides too (mainly having to move them out of the way to refuel), but overall I prefer them (and when I had sportier bikes, they provided a nice place to lay down on longer highway commutes :)

·
22 Posts
Keep the center of gravity down! These bikes are already top heavy. Fill up a tall tail bag and it is not only difficult to mount, it is difficult to low speed turn.

I use a bag that collapses down. Easy to fill up for a 1 or 2 night out ride. Only use the panniers when I'm out for 3 or 4 nights. Mine is a little saggy, but being old, I'm used to that😁

·
Registered
224 Posts
As mentioned previously tank bags are a pain for refueling.
I commute with a rear box (large, dry, lockable, no impediment to mounting). It looks daft, but is super practical. I've never noticed low speed maneuverability issues.
I prefer the look of panniers, but only use for week trips. Also not noticed speed issues. Ridden over 120mph with both.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I have an axio, i believe now goes under a different name since it was bought out, i've had this on my 1198, sfs and 2 multistradas, for what i need it, it works fantastic.
I added straps and snaps so it's solid and the straps that comes with don't rub the paint off.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bolted on a Pelican case.

·
Registered
934 Posts
As others have posted, you weren't specific on size / capacity.
Although I have the OEM panniers, I've only used them once for an overnight stay.
I wanted something small with some expansion if needed. Moreover, I don't like tank bags.
I also did not intend to keep it on the bike permanently. I got this and it's perfect for me.
It's more or less flat but will fit a raincoat if needed. I gambled $20 with low expectations but turned-out the quality was good and much better than I expected.

·
Registered
700 Posts
After using a tail bag, I ended up making a rack and bolting a Pelican case to it. My rack can be moved forward/back by two inches, depending on which Pelican case I’m using: the 1500, which is normally on, or the big 1550, which I use for trips of 7-14 days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why not make your choice multi use? Something that can be used for either tank or tail.......
This is a tank bag from my old ST4s. I have still
got a full pannier set but I use this instead of a backpack for blast days.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Get both? I wouldn't be without either one, as they serve very different purposes.

A small tank bag is a great place to put wallet/sunglasses/maps/etc. With power running to the inside, it's where I store and charge my phone while riding.

Tail bag/box is for bulky, lightweight stuff such as a jacket or change of clothes, or rain gear.

I have other bikes I ride for short trips, so it's rare for me to take the MTS out without both of those. The saddlebags, OTOH, see less frequent use, generally only if I'm going to be gone for multiple days.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use in the same way of post #5 and #7 (below pictures, look at the red Multi).

Use it to carry a bunch of "stuff" that my help in case of an emergency: axle nut, first aid kit, rescue knife, small duck tape roll, allen wrench kit, tire pressure gauge, etc. If I remove all the crap and open the expansion ziper it fits my full face helmet on it.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
tank bag is great for daily use, but if you get one big ehough to use as luggage for a weekend ride it's kind of impractical. For trips a tailbag like the one pictured in the post above is what I used before the multistrada. To tankbags the givilok and tank bag combo in whatever size you like is excellent.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Why not make your choice multi use? Something that can be used for either tank or tail.......
This is a tank bag from my old ST4s. I have still View attachment 986679 got a full pannier set but I use this instead of a backpack for blast days.
What tank bag is that, and how does it attach? That's exactly what I'm looking for for days when I don't want the top case on, just a little extra storage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also... Be careful with tank bags damaging the paint. I've had magnetic ones with what LOOKED like nice soft contact patches, scratch and dull the finish on several different bikes. I usually use a tail bag with a nice piece of wool or soft cloth between it and the bike. That trick doesn't seem to work as well at protecting tank paint. For long trips when I want to carry extra crap, I use a strap-on tank bag as well as the tail bag. (And sometimes a back-pack too).

Seems like the rack-mounted cases are the best bet. Might make mounting/ dismounting a little clumsy but they won't affect the handling unless you're carrying gold bullion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts