Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I have a 2001 monster engine on my old SS. Tacho is mechanical and engine is newer. Anyone knows of a converter from mechanical to electric so I can still use my old tacho?
Any other options? (newer tachos from other duc are bigger)
Like this one but the other way around:
Daytona Adapter Speedo Cable 0 19/32in Tachometer Transducer Mechanical Digital | eBay

Thanks.
I like what you are thinking but as it is putting out a digital signal you are going to need a digital tach. There are plenty available aftermarket with a white face dial in the correct size to drop in. I would like to find one with a real pointer instead of an LCD simulated one so let me know if you find a digital gauge like that.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I doubt you'll find any adapter like that, not practical in these days of electronics. A company named Speedhut.com can custom make most any tach/speedo face you desire in a 3 3/8" or 4" unit. I got one for my race bike when I switched to a later cyl. head. Has worked great for years and wasn't that expensive.

·
Registered
746 Posts
In a different setting, I had a tach in my vintage triumph sports car converted to a digital tach. They replaced all the guts of my old tach with new internals, so it still looks the same as my other gauges, but i works with my new fuel injection/ignition system. Perhaps you can find someone to do that for you.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,317 Posts
Any other options?
As wdietz186 suggested take a look at the product line from Speedhut.

Below is a pic of the gauge set that I got from Speedhut a coupla years ago for my 900SS. Pretty much every aspect of these gauges was fully customizable. Background color,background logo,type font,needle color,needle shape,bezel color,etc. These things look for all the world like the original mechanical ones but they're actually slimline electronic.

The speedo gauge that I chose is GPS,there's a small remote antenna module that you have to mount somewhere on the bike facing upward so that the gauge can pick up the satellite signal.

The speedo gauge also has a small LCD display built into it that you can toggle between 8 different function screens.

The tach is fully electronic,completely eliminates the stock mechanical cable. Fully customizable just like the speedo gauge. Look closely at my first pic and you'll see that there are 3 led lights built into the tach on the right side of the gauge. Those lights can be programmed for shift points and redline.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Or stay on the lookout for the optional monster gauge cluster which includes a tach taking it s signal from the ignition box. Like this one, quite damaged unfortunately, but that would be another option if you find one in decent shape.

·
Registered
2009 M1100S, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
576 Posts
I have a 2001 monster engine on my old SS. Tacho is mechanical and engine is newer. Anyone knows of a converter from mechanical to electric so I can still use my old tacho?
I did the same conversion and used a TACHO from A Guzzi V1100 Sport (I think). It uses the same ECU as the (15M) as the 900Sie bikes and looks identical and is the same size to the carbed bikes TACHO. Plug n Play!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for the info! I will check Speedhut.com first. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts