Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Me thinks I've worked it out ..... these are pictures that the seller took. More to come.

Here goes nothin' !!
Congrats! Looks really clean. I got zero records with mine...that's really cool. You have a fun day ahead of you...xmas in June.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Suggest you check the side stand where it attaches to the engine case. I didn't realize this was a serious issue for Ducati as they don't have a bottom frame rail to bolt this to. Three years ago I re-purchased my '95 after finding it in Mesa and completed a major 12,000 inspection in Chicago (where I bought it new back in the day). Didn't get to ride it again after some family issues and sold it to an experienced rider who lives next door. On his first ride he came home with the stand light (orange) on and the front case boss broken off and lost as well.
Going to be quite a trip for him to fix but I'm trying to help find a place that has the experience to do this type of work.
It would be much better if it hadn't happened!
BTW - I did a complete clean-up and didn't realize the chain had made such a mess behind the stand...
Is this common on the 750ss? Just how common is this in general? Do you think that he may have hit something?

Mine also had a bunch of gunk that looked like bearing grease under the cover from the previous owner.

·
Registered
206 Posts
These SS, whether SL, SP or CR are superb streetbikes, permanent keepers.
I know what the first three are...can someone explain to a noob what CR stands for? They skip right over that in my Falloon books.

Is only the 900ss considered a CR? My book shows that this classification only for the 900ss.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ooooh, can I ask a dumb question? Is there a seam where the carbon fiber on those pipes wraps over itself (It would be on the bottom) or is it a single piece of carbon? Those look identical to mine except for the badging and I haven't been able to figure out what mine are.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I've always assumed it stood for Cafe Racer, but there are probably some beautiful Italian words for it. Honda thinks it means Competition Racer

And yes, those kickstand bolts vibrate loose and once its just a little bit loose they just fly right out of their holes. Will pogo you right into the ditch on an aggressive left turn!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've always assumed it stood for Cafe Racer, but there are probably some beautiful Italian words for it.

And yes, those kickstand bolts vibrate loose and once its just a little bit loose they just fly right out of their holes. Will pogo you right into the ditch on an aggressive left turn!
That's what Fredsmoot23 told me...I forgot...thanks that makes sense.

Mine feels loose, thanks Ill check it. This one shown in the post was actually broken off...bummer.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Congrats! Looks really clean.
Thank you (I hope I haven't ~over hyped~ it's condition!). I believe it can actually be cleaned up even better. I knew about the surface rust on the stock pipes, but that's such a minor issue. A little steel wool (or the like) to remove the little bits of surface rust, then hit it with high temp exhaust paint (flat black). I'm interested in removing/selling the Termignonis and replacing them with the GPR set in the attached fotos. I realize those pics are of the later model SS/CR (the "Pierre"), but I'll correspond with GPR to see if they'll fit the '96CR or if they offer a set that do. I really like the "S" pipe and how they tuck right up under the stock bodywork. And of course those "DEEP TONE" mufflers are just the shiznik ... made from "INOX" material. I'm guessing that may be an offshoot of Inconel. Stainless "S" pipes as well. The whole set sells new at $600.00 ... right about what used Termis sell for! Sweet.

Also, are there new hose kits for the oil cooler and the other external engine/oil lines? I'd prefer stainless braided. I've been eyeballing "Galfer" stainless braided lines for the fr/rr brakes and the clutch ... maybe they have the other external engine oil lines as well.

??? :confused:

... I got zero records with mine...that's really cool. You have a fun day ahead of you...xmas in June.
There's WAY WAY more docs with it, that one I posted is just the latest service doc. The seller put a lot more info on a thumb drive that he included with the bike. There's the full-on service manual on that thumb drive as well (the actual factory service manual) along with the actual small operator's manuals that fit in side of the storage compartment on the bike. As well as the original purchase invoice (the original owner actually trekked down from Madison Wisconsin to buy the bike brand new from a dealer in Phoenix Az !!!) and of course the Az registration. I'll be attaching pics of all of that now that I know how.

I'll check those tips for that seam as well.

Ok, we're out to unload the new member of the family. I'm dreading that, it's a bit tricky to do, takes three people ... one in the bed of the truck, one guiding it down the ramp and one more as a spotter and anchoring the bottom of the ramp by standing on it to make sure it doesn't slip from the tailgate. We make sure to place the truck ~just so~ to where the end of the ramp sits in an expansion joint in the cement driveway.

Ok, I'm just stalling now! :laugh:

.... more coming in a bit ....

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thank you (I hope I haven't ~over hyped~ it's condition!). I believe it can actually be cleaned up even better. I knew about the surface rust on the stock pipes, but that's such a minor issue. A little steel wool (or the like) to remove the little bits of surface rust, then hit it with high temp exhaust paint (flat black). I'm interested in removing/selling the Termignonis and replacing them with the GPR set in the attached fotos. I realize those pics are of the later model SS/CR (the "Pierre"), but I'll correspond with GPR to see if they'll fit the '96CR or if they offer a set that do. I really like the "S" pipe and how they tuck right up under the stock bodywork. And of course those "DEEP TONE" mufflers are just the shiznik ... made from "INOX" material. I'm guessing that may be an offshoot of Inconel. Stainless "S" pipes as well. The whole set sells new at $600.00 ... right about what used Termis sell for! Sweet.

Also, are there new hose kits for the oil cooler and the other external engine/oil lines? I'd prefer stainless braided. I've been eyeballing "Galfer" stainless braided lines for the fr/rr brakes and the clutch ... maybe they have the other external engine oil lines as well.

??? :confused:
I'd forgo the exhaust paint. The stock header is stainless steel and should clean up nicely. Painting it would just be tacky in my opinion. It's your bike though so my opinion is just that. The Termis are what belong on a Ducati. Again, my opinion. The OEM sweep of the high pipes for the Superlight are perfect. The rest just look........well......aesthically unappealing. At least from the side view. Again, my opinion only.

The oil cooler lines are pretty much OEM or have them custom made at a local hose shop. Probably cheaper at the local. Galfer makes a good product....but they don't really do the larger diameter oil cooler lines. There are a ton of other manufacturers who make stainless lines, almost any of them will do what you want and look good doing it.

................sean

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'd forgo the exhaust paint. The stock header is stainless steel and should clean up nicely.
I was not aware of that. That said, I may end up changing my mind.

Painting it would just be tacky in my opinion.
I suppose everyone has their druthers. I'll be able to make a determination once I've cleaned up the stockers.

The Termis are what belong on a Ducati.
.. so in other words, they're what most folks go with ... said another way .. ~common~. Hmmm ... yea, we'll see where this goes. I mean, for all I know GPR doesn't make any that fit the earlier 90s CRs.

The oil cooler lines are pretty much OEM or have them custom made at a local hose shop. Probably cheaper at the local. Galfer makes a good product....but they don't really do the larger diameter oil cooler lines. There are a ton of other manufacturers who make stainless lines, almost any of them will do what you want and look good doing it.

................sean
Thank you very much for your input!!!! :smile2:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Just to get it said, this is the pedigree of bikes I have ALWAYS loved. Late '70 - early '80s AMA Superbikes ... the welded steel frame, air cooled, no-fairing race bikes that were made from stock bikes off of the dealers' floor. Back when you had to know how to actually build a racebike yourself, rather than just buying one (like today).

The pic of the little kid behind the yellow 1974 Yamaha 175 MX is me. That's the bike I got for Christmas of 1974 (I was 14 yrs old). I began racing it in the 250cc class the spring of '75 against grown men on 250s. Note the laid down rear shocks and extended travel front forks. I did those modifications myself using an oxy-acetylene torch, a hacksaw, and files. Increased rear travel from 3 inches to 6.5 inches, the forks were increased from 5.5 inches to 7 inches. I made the low-pipe expansion chamber with a cone roller in high school machine shop, and welded it up with a oxy-acet torch. Red plate indicates points leader. And those are my trophies from my first few races. The pic of me in the living room with the Christmas tree was taken by my mother. I had gone across the street to give my best friend his Christmas gift on Christmas eve. When I came back home that night, I rounded the corner into the living room, fully surprised at the brand new bike sitting by the tree. It was the only time I ever saw my stepdad cry.

The other pics are examples of the AMA Superbikes I revere so much. My styling preferences align with those bikes of that era.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
... a few more ... night racing at Tucson MX Park, 1975. It was behind the Tucson Dragstrip off of Houghton Road.

I guess my point in posting those old MX pictures is to emphasize my preferences for "one-off" type modifications. I built the BMX bike in that one picture myself out of a stack of tubing ... all nickel/silver alloy brazed up using my oxy-acet torch. I was 16 yrs old in that picture. I took 2nd in the 16 and over Open Expert class at the very first BMX Winternationals held in Chandler Az in 1977. I was up against fully sponsored pretty boys from Southern California on the trickest bikes available .... on a frame and forks I made myself. It took three months of elimination races just to qualify for the Winternats.

So I tend to prefer stylistic expressions that are more unique. That doesn't mean I'm going to take a hacksaw and a torch to my new Ducati .. please know that.

Rex of Earth.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine still sits. Between the cold winter and a temporary move, then busy season at work... yeah. Need to clean out a garage stall and get going on it. Thanks for the attitude bump.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am happy with my custom Galfers lines. They fit like they were made for it, look sweet and improved the performance.

I added the front right rotor and dual brake lines. I also did the rear brake and clutch.

There are recent pics of my bike and upgrades in the 'what did you do with your bike today' section.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Mine still sits. Between the cold winter and a temporary move, then busy season at work... yeah. Need to clean out a garage stall and get going on it. Thanks for the attitude bump.
Sometimes we all need a bit of a foot in the ass to motivate us ... I know I do from time to time. I'm glad to hear reading my (and others') enthusiasm is rubbing off on you a bit. I hope to see you post pics of your forward progress soon!!

I am happy with my custom Galfers lines. They fit like they were made for it, look sweet and improved the performance.

I added the front right rotor and dual brake lines. I also did the rear brake and clutch.

There are recent pics of my bike and upgrades in the 'what did you do with your bike today' section.
So am I seeing a wet clutch on your bike there? Is that why the clutch hydro line enters on what appears to be the right side of your engine?

+1 on the Galfers. That red looks superb!

Nice!

Ooooh, can I ask a dumb question? Is there a seam where the carbon fiber on those pipes wraps over itself (It would be on the bottom) or is it a single piece of carbon? Those look identical to mine except for the badging and I haven't been able to figure out what mine are.
Yes ... there is a defined seam along the bottom of each can. I think you may be the owner of the ~real deal~.

Right on.

·
Registered
924 Posts
.. so in other words, they're what most folks go with ... said another way .. ~common~. Hmmm ... yea, we'll see where this goes. I mean, for all I know GPR doesn't make any that fit the earlier 90s CRs.

Thank you very much for your input!!!! :smile2:
Well you could say that or you could say, Termignoni is what goes on a Ducati. Like Yoshimura is what goes on a Suzuki, or Two Brothers on a Honda....or Vance & Hines on a Yamaha.....or Muzzy on Kawasaki. They just go together...like peas and carrots....ewww, on second thought, more like milk & cookies. :grin2:

GPR exhausts for the later Supersports will fit the earlier bikes without too much fuss. The header didn't change really, other than the addition of the threaded bungs for analyzer probes in the header pipes.

It's your bike so do what make YOU happy. The rest of us are just a peanut gallery. :grin2:

Arrow makes a Ducati exhaust that sounds pretty awesome in its own right....and Arrow can be found on Ducati superbikes of the period. Fast By Ferracci exhausts are great too if they can be found. Forza also, and they made exhausts for Ferracci.

All could be considered period correct for the time the carby Supersports were in production. Personally, it really doesn't matter but originality is kind of a big deal for some. Me, I'm going with alloy Venom or carbon Micron pipes but that's because I don't have a set of Termis in my possession to use. Nor Arrows, Forza or FBF. ......sean

·
Registered
206 Posts
So am I seeing a wet clutch on your bike there? Is that why the clutch hydro line enters on what appears to be the right side of your engine?

+1 on the Galfers. That red looks superb!
Nice!

Yes ... there is a defined seam along the bottom of each can. I think you may be the owner of the ~real deal~.

Right on.
Thanks! Yeah the 750ss has a wet clutch. I wish I had Termi's (or just one actually). Its not my bike, but yeah I would put them on.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well you could say that or you could say, Termignoni is what goes on a Ducati. Like Yoshimura is what goes on a Suzuki, or Two Brothers on a Honda....or Vance & Hines on a Yamaha.....or Muzzy on Kawasaki. They just go together...like peas and carrots....ewww, on second thought, more like milk & cookies. :grin2:

GPR exhausts for the later Supersports will fit the earlier bikes without too much fuss. The header didn't change really, other than the addition of the threaded bungs for analyzer probes in the header pipes.

It's your bike so do what make YOU happy. The rest of us are just a peanut gallery. :grin2:

Arrow makes a Ducati exhaust that sounds pretty awesome in its own right....and Arrow can be found on Ducati superbikes of the period. Fast By Ferracci exhausts are great too if they can be found. Forza also, and they made exhausts for Ferracci.

All could be considered period correct for the time the carby Supersports were in production. Personally, it really doesn't matter but originality is kind of a big deal for some. Me, I'm going with alloy Venom or carbon Micron pipes but that's because I don't have a set of Termis in my possession to use. Nor Arrows, Forza or FBF. ......sean
Hi sean, wow great info here! Thanks. Do you remember or know if this D&D is period correct on this 2-1 conversion? The bike came with a pair of them, so I figured they were from the 90's. I went with it...the length seems correct for that time frame. It needed no jetting changes. Runs like a dream up to red line.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sometimes we all need a bit of a foot in the ass to motivate us ... I know I do from time to time. I'm glad to hear reading my (and others') enthusiasm is rubbing off on you a bit. I hope to see you post pics of your forward progress soon!!
Rex Coil 7, my neighbor had a Yamaha just like yours in the mid 70s. Im just a few years younger than you. It was a street version but it looked the same.

You will be done before you know it! I bought my bike in Feb...looked at it in a heated garage during a snow storm in Jan. It took four months to get it running right due to tank and carb rust. It has been a fun process and well worth it. The total costs of my repairs: $250.00, which included a rebuilt carb bank from a 900ss (thanks FredSmoot23 and Wounded duc) and a few gallons of Evaporust. That's almost free in my book for the performance I have now.

I was lucky to find this forum for sure. A pro jet ski buddy suggested that I join a forum first thing when I told him I bought my first Ducati.

Have you driven a Ducati yet? If not, I am sure you will love it and possibly not look back. I am hooked on the V torque. Its like riding a purring cheetah.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
POSSIBLE OHLINS SHOCK:

Funny story about this shock. About five years ago I ~discovered~ Ducati motorcycles, and I began collecting some parts to begin mockups for a full-on custom street legal track bike. I bought a couple of frames with clear titles included (one SS frame, and one ST2 frame) ... a couple of different stock swingarms, rear suspension linkages, and two rear shocks. Both shocks were purchased at different times from different sellers. I paid $50 bucks for the shock in the picture attached below. It was advertised as a Sachs (if I properly recall). When it arrived, it was instantly apparent that it is an Ohlins! For $50 bucks! Life got in the way ... well, more like the frikkin frackin flippin Veteran's Administration got in the way. Instead of actually providing the proper treatment they prescribed wheelbarrow fulls of pills (combat related PTSD). It took nearly 4 years for them to shit their get together. Anyhow ... here we are today.

This shock is about as close to 12 inches center to center at the eyelets as I can tell.

Does anyone know what the stock shock length is? I can't really measure mine without removing a bunch of stuff to get to those eyes to obtain a measurement.

For obvious reasons I'd like to be able to use this shock if I can. If it's ~GO!~ then the plan is to send it to RaceTech to have them go through it and set it up for my little flat trackin' ass. I'm 5' 7" and 170lbs ... ~ahem~ ... uh ... after I lose about 35 pounds. My "set weight" is 170 ... but a close family member died very unexpectedly in Feb of 2018 .. and I kinda got a little too interested in comfort food during my "pity party" after he died. I'm fine now (emotionally) and I've already lost about 15 pounds. So enough excuses for getting FAT already!!

So anyway .. anyone know what the stock shock length on the 1996 900CR is?

Thankies!

Oh ... and Member *ifly65 ... I'll see you one lazy ass cat and raise you another lazy ass cat ... she's my little feral cat we rescued from feral life ... her name is CooCoo after the way she regularly "coos". She's my little shop buddy. She's a "poly dactyl" cat, otherwise known as a "Hemingway cat". Ernest Hemingway collected poly dactyl cats .. they have more than five toes on each front paw (CooCoo has six toes on each front paw). When Hemingway died, there were over fifty poly dactyl cats in his home, all well taken care of and healthy. A foundation was formed to continue homing poly dactyl cats in the Hemingway home, and today there are over 175 poly dactyl cats in the home, which are taken care of by foundation volunteers. Pretty cool!

:) ;) :rolleyes: Rex.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 57 Posts