Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's after 2am and I can't sleep. I'm leaving at 7am to go look at and hopefully come home with a pretty cherry 1996 900 CR. Less than 18k miles, garaged, maintenance documentation. 5 hour round trip from where I live to where the bike is.

The only ~bummer~ I can see from the pictures of it is that it has the dreaded chrome-colored head studs. Semi-bummer is the non-Showa forks. Both bummers are not the end of the world, however.

Needs the usuals ... new belts, carb rebuild, throttle cables, twist throttle is wonky (I'll probably go FCR41 kit though which typically include new Motion Pro cables/twist throttle and K&N filter). Being 23 years old I'll put stainless braided hydraulic lines all 'round.

Recent work done by a pro mechanic:
** New tapered bearings in the steering head.
** New brake pads front and rear.
** New starter.
** New battery.
** Oil and filter changed.
** New chain.

Problems claimed:
** Carbs are gunked, owner stored the bike in garage unridden for over 1.5 years.
** Wonky twist throttle.
** The new starter remains engaged after the engine fires (could be just the start switch, or the starter relay .. both easy fixes).
** Belts need replacing.

Good Stuffs:
** Zero rust inside of steel fuel tank (huge plus!).
** Paint is friggin excellent.
** Plastics are friggin excellent.
** Never been down or even dropped in the garage.
** Owned by a pedantic rider in his 40s ... no wheelie king/wannabe GP squid.
** Windshield is flawless.
** What look to me like Termignoni mufflers (stock headers).
** Seat is excellent, no rips, no tears.
** Zero UV/Sun damage.
** New Pirelli rubber front and rear ... by the looks of them they appear to have less than 100 miles on them (less than two years old as well).

I'll post pics and reveal the amount I paid for it after I get it back home tomorrow afternoon.

My last motorcycle was in 1990, this Ducati will be my 17th bike. I am SO FLIPPIN' HURTIN' AND READY TO GET BACK ON TWO WHEELS!!!!!!!!

L8R SK8RS !!

:smile2:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
keep looking ,,lot of time and money to make a good street bike out of that thing
... it takes a lot of time and money to make a "good streetbike" out of just about any of the '90s aircooled ~SS~ models. One just has to pick their battles .. what do you want to have to deal with? Rust? Years of abuse? Squid previous owners? Exposure to the weather? Mechanical issues? Age?

:eek::eek::eek:

Liftoff in T-Minus 27 minutes.

:yeah:

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
You’ll love it once you’ve got it ship shape. Wmfleet2 has probably not owned one before. They are great bikes, one of my favorites, and I’ve owned a lot of bikes. IMO well worth putting the time and money into it .

·
Registered
206 Posts
... it takes a lot of time and money to make a "good streetbike" out of just about any of the '90s aircooled ~SS~ models. One just has to pick their battles .. what do you want to have to deal with? Rust? Years of abuse? Squid previous owners? Exposure to the weather? Mechanical issues? Age?

:eek::eek::eek:

Liftoff in T-Minus 27 minutes.

:yeah:
Damn Im almost as excited as you are....go check the 'what did you do with your bike today'...I just did the nearly the same thing this Feb!

Yes the goods out-weigh the bads on this one. You will be fine, especially with the help on this forum. My big issue was rust in the tank and carbs. Good to hear your tank looks fine.

I now have a beautiful, near mint example of a vintage Duc.

I cant wait to see pics...hopefully tonight when I get home from work.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Have fun with it. I still miss my carby SS and will likely own another one someday. As for the Marzocci forks, they can give a nice ride with good front-end feel if set up properly. There's only preload adjustment, so you need to mess around with springs, oil viscosity and oil height to get them to do what you want. The Showa ones, people seem to drool over them, but most SS/SP years that they went into there was a design defect that linked the compression and rebound circuits which made them damn near impossible to properly adjust... you need a lot of patience because adjusting compression also affected rebound and vice versa.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check the frame for cracks. Otherwise it sounds like a great project. Looking forward to seeing you progress with it.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I don’t think the Marzocchi forks are bad at all. When I first bought my bike people on the forum talked me into believing I had to swap them out for adjustable forks. I eventually did, but before that I added quite a bit of preload to get the sag on the soft side of okay, new seals, and ATF with the level a little higher than the spec. The improvement was noticeable, though I think I should have used a lighter weight fork oil. It cost less than $30 to do that much, and would have been half that if I didn’t need seals. That’s the low buck version.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We just got home. Long day, especially the last 150 miles .... loooong straight highway staring at the Sun all the way home. Everything went especially well. The seller is easily the single most thorough person I've dealt with. We even went to a notary public to get the (clear) title, bill of sale, and release of liability form signed and notarized. He took us to a nearby bike shop and he paid for one of those tie down socks thingies. He also paid for all of the notarizing as well. I may have paid a little more for this bike than I could have ... but to be honest, I've never trusted a seller as much as I trust this fella. It was a very positive experience.

He even gave me a Ducati hat and a wonderful Ducati T-shirt (red with a stitched on Ducati emblem over the left breast) ... and then welcomed me to "the brotherhood". An entire manila folder with service records that go back to the date of purchase. He even gave me the original purchase invoice that he rec'd from the original owner. Service records are very complete, which include work orders and quotes, along with the actual invoices. I also got the original pipes (the bike is outfitted with Termi mufflers), original mirrors, a pretty new battery tender (the connection pigtails are already installed on the bike).

He took us into his home, graciously gave us drinks (non alcohol), hauled us to the bike shop to fetch the tie down "sock" that fits over the grips. He even introduced my wife, my brother, and myself to his entire family. What gracious, respectful, and honorable children, all of them teenagers.

I'll post pictures once I figure out the secret handshake required to post pics in this forum. Best I can tell, you either post them from some sort of host (such as photosuckit) or you attach a thumbnail that may be clicked on and enlarged for viewing. I'm still working on how to do all of that.

We'll unload it a little later, it's still flippin' hot out, and we're all a bit bushed. We may even unload it in the morning while the driveway is still in the shade. In the afternoon it's beat up by the Sun and hot as the hubs of hell. The truck and it's Italian payload is parked in the shade though.

Ok now I'm just rambling. Thanks for the encouraging replies. And count on a project thread! OH! ... btw .... $4k cash.

Peace, love, and understandin' ....

·
Registered
926 Posts
It's cool man. Prices differ around the country based on condition and history. I know of a member here who paid just $3800 for a pristine and well cared for a full fairing 900SS. $4K for something similar is in the same ball park.

Mostly, I'm just tickled by all the carby 900SS love going on here on dot MS at the moment. Just since January there are 3 or 4 new members with carbies which is nothing but goodness in my view. The more of them that get saved the better. Thanks for doing your part........sean

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yeah, all things considered, an Arizona bike with really low miles never downed and decades of service records from probably only one or two mechanics (that I know) - yeah, premium prices on this one even before you add new tires, pads, starter, battery tender, etc and especially head bearings.

We are gonna need some pics when you get it figured out Rex,... don't let the Superbike and SS/SP/SuperLight owners here give you a hard time over the CR - the CR was by far the more popular Ducati in the mid 90's for damm good reasons. So much better that the bike journos of the day actually spent their own money buying a CR despite what they wrote about other bikes!

*Edit - forgot the hat!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Rex, all in all, you've done very well. A conscientious seller with such detailed service records, low miles, garaged, well kept, spares, full legal documentation.......couldn't ask for more in that regard. Such a seller rare these days.

Can't speak for others but my '95 is *by far* my most favorite bike ever, I'll spare the list of Japanese, British bikes I've owned going on 5 decades now. Upon purchase and realization of merits of the SS ...I long ago cleared out my garage of overweight, tall, ill handling, obsolete 80's stuff. No more need for a 1000cc, 550 pound GS1000 truck ....sold, gone without any hesitation.

These SS, whether SL, SP or CR are superb streetbikes, permanent keepers. Enjoy and ride it!

Congrats on your purchase, you'll not be disappointed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Suggest you check the side stand where it attaches to the engine case. I didn't realize this was a serious issue for Ducati as they don't have a bottom frame rail to bolt this to. Three years ago I re-purchased my '95 after finding it in Mesa and completed a major 12,000 inspection in Chicago (where I bought it new back in the day). Didn't get to ride it again after some family issues and sold it to an experienced rider who lives next door. On his first ride he came home with the stand light (orange) on and the front case boss broken off and lost as well.
Going to be quite a trip for him to fix but I'm trying to help find a place that has the experience to do this type of work.
It would be much better if it hadn't happened!
BTW - I did a complete clean-up and didn't realize the chain had made such a mess behind the stand...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good morning to yer faces!

I just got up .. slept like a slab of granite. We're going to unload it from the truck in about an hour (or less) before it get's too hot.

Any help on how to ~attach thumbnails~ would be very appreciated. Do the pictures that are attached as thumbnails require a host, or can I just attach them straight from my computer's hard drive?

Ok, my brother just crawled out of the crypt (he's out of bed). So we'll be unloading it within the hour. I'll shoot some ~Welcome Home~ pics of it as well.

I cannot express how happy I am, especially to have been initiated into "The Brotherhood". Thanks to everyone that has replied with such enthusiasm for this acquisition.

Ok, I'll be back in about an hour after we've unloaded it ... it's a bit tricky but we'll get it done.

Back soon ... Rex.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good morning to yer faces!

I just got up .. slept like a slab of granite. We're going to unload it from the truck in about an hour (or less) before it get's too hot.

Any help on how to ~attach thumbnails~ would be very appreciated. Do the pictures that are attached as thumbnails require a host, or can I just attach them straight from my computer's hard drive?

Ok, my brother just crawled out of the crypt (he's out of bed). So we'll be unloading it within the hour. I'll shoot some ~Welcome Home~ pics of it as well.

I cannot express how happy I am, especially to have been initiated into "The Brotherhood". Thanks to everyone that has replied with such enthusiasm for this acquisition.

Ok, I'll be back in about an hour after we've unloaded it ... it's a bit tricky but we'll get it done.

Back soon ... Rex.
I upload my photos to imgur, they offer a pre-formatted link you can just copy and paste. Just make sure you select a smaller size than the the default (I do large thumbnail) before copying the link, otherwise it takes up the entire screen.

Looking forward to seeing pics!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Me thinks I've worked it out ..... these are pictures that the seller took. More to come.

Here goes nothin' !!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More pics taken by the seller ....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
... and yet more pictures by the seller ....

Next bunch will be pictures I've taken of it once we unload it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts