Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Did you break your bike in with Synthetic or Non-Synthetic Oil?

  • Synthetic

    Votes: 34 63.0%
  • Non-Synthetic

    Votes: 20 37.0%

  • Total voters
    54
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been talked about over and over again but I wanted to take a poll on the matter as I am still deciding on what will be best for my 1098.

Thanks.
Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
VisitorQ said:
I know this has been talked about over and over again but I wanted to take a poll on the matter as I am still deciding on what will be best for my 1098.

Thanks.
Jason
You don't have the bike yet and your being anal already :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
If it's anything like my Duc 916 the warranty would be void if you didn't run "AGIP 4T" full synthetic. I personally think that it should not be a synthetic that is used for break-in - but run what the service manual states or risk the consequences...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
853MACHINE said:
It is going to be full of fluids when you get it so use the oil that is in it.
That oil is Synthetic as far as I know.

Nightshade said:
Why is this an issue? Ducati puts oil in it for break-in so this shouldn't even be a consideration.
Because I was told that synthetic oil was too slick and not good for ring seal.

cachee0 said:
You don't have the bike yet and your being anal already :p
I take extremely good care of the stuff I own (ask anyone who knows me). I only want what is best for the bike. I want to break it in the correct way, yeilding the most HP from the motor and best/ proper ring seal.

I mean I know this topic has been beat into the ground so I figured I would stick up a poll so people could just click rather than discuss what has already been talked about.

I am not sure how many other bikes come with synthetic oil in them but Ducati is the first I have heard of...

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
You again???:) Are you even going to be satisfied with the answer this time when it's overwhelming to use synthetic, or are you going to start something else until you get the answer you want?? Man, I bet this is going to drive you completely BONKERS if it ends up being 50/50!!:) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
The oil that comes stock from the dealer is fully synn already...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I just purchased a new '06 ST3, waiting for it to be shipped as we speak. When I get it I am going to drain the oil, replace the filter and fill it with 10W-40 Valvoline non-synthetic.

I am then going to break it in per mototune's recommendation, the street method. After 20 miles I will drain the oil and replace the filter with the same as above and probably run that for 1,000 to 1,500 miles. From that point forward I will use a synthetic but same weight, preferable for twins.

I have never done it like this before so this is a first. I really won't know if its better than the "recommended" method but if it blows up, burns oil, runs bad etc I will post it here.

This is an endless debate with great points on both sides. Since I have tried the other approach (with no adverse results that I know of) I want to try this approach. I typically have not kept my bikes very long but that has changed so I don't have a good long history with the recommended break in. It was a Honda though and I personally think they are the best built bikes in the world, just everyone has one.

For what its worth, this will be my approach. Hell it might be wrong but damit I will do something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
galaxy said:
You again???:) Are you even going to be satisfied with the answer this time when it's overwhelming to use synthetic, or are you going to start something else until you get the answer you want?? Man, I bet this is going to drive you completely BONKERS if it ends up being 50/50!!:) :)
Yeah I all know we want to hear what we want. I am just trying to make sure ya know and that is why I put the poll. Like I said, to just get a strait yes or no answer so I would not get blasted for touching this topic again. =]

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pyrate said:
I just purchased a new '06 ST3, waiting for it to be shipped as we speak. When I get it I am going to drain the oil, replace the filter and fill it with 10W-40 Valvoline non-synthetic.

I am then going to break it in per mototune's recommendation, the street method. After 20 miles I will drain the oil and replace the filter with the same as above and probably run that for 1,000 to 1,500 miles. From that point forward I will use a synthetic but same weight, preferable for twins.

I have never done it like this before so this is a first. I really won't know if its better than the "recommended" method but if it blows up, burns oil, runs bad etc I will post it here.

This is an endless debate with great points on both sides. Since I have tried the other approach (with no adverse results that I know of) I want to try this approach. I typically have not kept my bikes very long but that has changed so I don't have a good long history with the recommended break in. It was a Honda though and I personally think they are the best built bikes in the world, just everyone has one.

For what its worth, this will be my approach. Hell it might be wrong but damit I will do something.
This is exactly how I broke in my Honda, 0 problems but the thing that get's me with Ducati is they ship with synthetic oil, Honda's don't. If Ducati shipped with non-synthetic oil I would not even think twice about this subject and break the bike in just like I did with my Honda... Exactly the method you posted above.

Jason
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
579 Posts
Ok I go by the school of thought of breaking a motor in with regular oil...but WHY ON EARTH would ducati ship all the new 1098's with synthetic if it was in question?!!! They have TONS of money tied up in this bike, how well it does, it's longevity. Why would they risk damage to the bike or break in problems by putting MORE expensive oil in instead of regular oil?! Modern motorcycle and car engines for that matter are made of completely different metals, alloys...etc...and have coatings that didn't exist even 2 years ago. Using regular oil to break in an engine is a leftover trend from old cast iron block engines and whatnot. The ONLY reason I still break motors in with regular oil is because it's cheaper. If i'm only using it to flush out the assembly lube and whatnot I'm not using 9 dollar a quart oil. The rings will seat fine, the bearings will seat just fine with synthetic oil.

Despite whether you agree with my engine break in logic as far as modern engines...at the least I'm hoping people can understand that Ducati wouldn't risk shipping their brand new bike to use synthetic oil from the get go. My M3 came with synthetic from the factory, I race it HARD and have never used anything but synthetic from the get go...no issues. When I tore the engine down to put higher comp pistons in at 90k, everything still looked brand spanking new...So do what you want, but realize that this poll is probably just going to yield a fairly even spread on both sides...I'd stick with the factory stuff rather than risk voiding a warrantee by putting regular oil in it.

Ok i'm finished...sorry i'll go now lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,642 Posts
I broke my 749 in with the Shell Advance it shipped with, and have not used anything but full-syn in it... including ester based Motul at 500 miles. AF1 Racing was actually impressed with the numbers it put down on the dyno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
ColinMc said:
Ok I go by the school of thought of breaking a motor in with regular oil...but WHY ON EARTH would ducati ship all the new 1098's with synthetic if it was in question?!!! They have TONS of money tied up in this bike, how well it does, it's longevity. Why would they risk damage to the bike or break in problems by putting MORE expensive oil in instead of regular oil?! Modern motorcycle and car engines for that matter are made of completely different metals, alloys...etc...and have coatings that didn't exist even 2 years ago. Using regular oil to break in an engine is a leftover trend from old cast iron block engines and whatnot. The ONLY reason I still break motors in with regular oil is because it's cheaper. If i'm only using it to flush out the assembly lube and whatnot I'm not using 9 dollar a quart oil. The rings will seat fine, the bearings will seat just fine with synthetic oil.

Despite whether you agree with my engine break in logic as far as modern engines...at the least I'm hoping people can understand that Ducati wouldn't risk shipping their brand new bike to use synthetic oil from the get go. My M3 came with synthetic from the factory, I race it HARD and have never used anything but synthetic from the get go...no issues. When I tore the engine down to put higher comp pistons in at 90k, everything still looked brand spanking new...So do what you want, but realize that this poll is probably just going to yield a fairly even spread on both sides...I'd stick with the factory stuff rather than risk voiding a warrantee by putting regular oil in it.

Ok i'm finished...sorry i'll go now lol
Beautiful...Perfect write up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ColinMc said:
Ok I go by the school of thought of breaking a motor in with regular oil...but WHY ON EARTH would ducati ship all the new 1098's with synthetic if it was in question?!!! They have TONS of money tied up in this bike, how well it does, it's longevity. Why would they risk damage to the bike or break in problems by putting MORE expensive oil in instead of regular oil?! Modern motorcycle and car engines for that matter are made of completely different metals, alloys...etc...and have coatings that didn't exist even 2 years ago. Using regular oil to break in an engine is a leftover trend from old cast iron block engines and whatnot. The ONLY reason I still break motors in with regular oil is because it's cheaper. If i'm only using it to flush out the assembly lube and whatnot I'm not using 9 dollar a quart oil. The rings will seat fine, the bearings will seat just fine with synthetic oil.

Despite whether you agree with my engine break in logic as far as modern engines...at the least I'm hoping people can understand that Ducati wouldn't risk shipping their brand new bike to use synthetic oil from the get go. My M3 came with synthetic from the factory, I race it HARD and have never used anything but synthetic from the get go...no issues. When I tore the engine down to put higher comp pistons in at 90k, everything still looked brand spanking new...So do what you want, but realize that this poll is probably just going to yield a fairly even spread on both sides...I'd stick with the factory stuff rather than risk voiding a warrantee by putting regular oil in it.

Ok i'm finished...sorry i'll go now lol
I hear what you are saying but just because Ducati ships it with whatever, doesn't mean it is the best. Take for instance Anti-Freeze vs. Engine Ice, totally different subject but if Engine Ice is better than regular anti-freeze (IMO) why wouldn’t Ducati ship their bikes with it in it?

Just because the bike ships with full synthetic in the motor does mean it is the absolute best for break-in' but I do see your point with things possibly changing in the last year as far as oil and construction of engines. Maybe this subject does not matter as much now as it did a few yers back?

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
VisitorQ said:
I hear what you are saying but just because Ducati ships it with whatever, doesn't mean it is the best. Take for instance Anti-Freeze vs. Engine Ice, totally different subject but if Engine Ice is better than regular anti-freeze (IMO) why wouldn’t Ducati ship their bikes with it in it?


Jason
Ummmmm, maybe because not everyone lives in Florida or Southern California??? Just a guess!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
ColinMc said:
Ok I go by the school of thought of breaking a motor in with regular oil...but WHY ON EARTH would ducati ship all the new 1098's with synthetic if it was in question?!!! They have TONS of money tied up in this bike, how well it does, it's longevity. Why would they risk damage to the bike or break in problems by putting MORE expensive oil in instead of regular oil?! Modern motorcycle and car engines for that matter are made of completely different metals, alloys...etc...and have coatings that didn't exist even 2 years ago. Using regular oil to break in an engine is a leftover trend from old cast iron block engines and whatnot. The ONLY reason I still break motors in with regular oil is because it's cheaper. If i'm only using it to flush out the assembly lube and whatnot I'm not using 9 dollar a quart oil. The rings will seat fine, the bearings will seat just fine with synthetic oil.

Despite whether you agree with my engine break in logic as far as modern engines...at the least I'm hoping people can understand that Ducati wouldn't risk shipping their brand new bike to use synthetic oil from the get go. My M3 came with synthetic from the factory, I race it HARD and have never used anything but synthetic from the get go...no issues. When I tore the engine down to put higher comp pistons in at 90k, everything still looked brand spanking new...So do what you want, but realize that this poll is probably just going to yield a fairly even spread on both sides...I'd stick with the factory stuff rather than risk voiding a warrantee by putting regular oil in it.

Ok i'm finished...sorry i'll go now lol
+1
I couldn't have put it better myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
ehhh, OK, I'll ask the obvious question - how do we KNOW the 1098 comes with synth? Has someone actually sent it off for tests to the lab, or do we have positive confirmation from a dealer prep bulletin? (The fact that the manual MAY specify synth (does it? - that'd be a first that I know of!!) - does not in itself mean that they put synth in the bike!!! ;)

EDIT: Just checked the owners manual - it does indeed specify Shell Advance Ultra 4 (which is a synth). Of course, this is typically Ducati, in that a MAJOR market like the USA does not even HAVE this oil :) - and they don't specify that you have to use a synthetic. They do specify the usual oil viscosity ranges for the appropriate temps you ride in, which is fair and normal.

PS. I'd personally switch the oil to dino ASAP and do the Brock Davidson break-in routine http://www.dragbike.com/news/01-99/drbrock-0199.htm which I know results in some very good blowby numbers in leakdown tests - better than 2-3% in many cases. This means the rings are sealing very well, and compression is up there, and there's no leakage/blowby to reduce power. Strong running bikes! YMMV.
 

·
Bobaganoosh
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
There are two rationals on the Dino vs Syn for break in. Both arguments have already been brought up. I personally will break in my 853 with Dino. Then straight to Mobil-1 full syn.

On the other hand I had a friend visit the Porsche factory and every Porsche at the completion of the assembly line gets started, reved and burns rubber coming out the door on its way to the warehouse. My friend asked one of the mechanics why the run it so hard right off the factory line. He said our engines are built with such tight tolerances and quality control. The motor can handle it and high revs breaks it in properly. Porsche, Cadillac, Viper, Vettes and many other high end cars are all factory filled with Mobil-1 Full Syn.

Food for thought. Since custom motors, such as my 853, have much tighter tolerances than originally built at the factory.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top