Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little advice. A piece of black synethic material came into contact with with my hot exhaust pipe on my hyper 950sp. Fortunately only a small bit of it burned onto the exhaust. However, I’m not sure the best way to clean it without harming the finish on the exhaust. I attempted to use a paper towel with some rubbing alcohol, but that did nothing. Before I try a bunch of things, I figured I would seek the guidance of those much wiser than I.

Pic below:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
Although I've never tried it, I've often heard Easy-Off works well for that kind of thing. Personally, I'd probably try mineral spirits, lacquer thinner or brake cleaner because I have it on my shelf. Let's see what others suggest..

·
Old Fast Guy
486 Posts
If you try to scrub it off, it will leave a different shaded surface. It's so small, I would just let it turn into carbon and come off by itself. A few WOT trips through the gears will get it hot enough to start the process!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Brake parts cleaner is a favorite of mine when it comes to getting nasty things clean.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,445 Posts
Dolemite , since you saved all your $$$ by not attending various riding events this year, I would suggest it's time for that new full Termi system you've been lusting for! One of us can send a note to the wife explaining the ruined exhaust system and need to console your mental anguish where only a full system will suffice...easy peazy!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
Melted on plastic. That's a tough one. As was already mentioned...no abrasives. I would be tempted to use a plastic scraper (I really like the red ones that look like razor blades!) to see if the stuff can flake off. I too would go for the brake cleaner first. Try it on portion of exhaust that's not visible...just in case!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh wow, many good recommendations. Some better than others...ahem... @flynnmon .

So far I like the idea of seeing what happens after a few heat cycles. If it doesn’t start to sort itself out, then I will have to try one of the many other ideas.

If anyone has any other ideas, keep them rolling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's a neat pattern though...you may want to wrap more of the fabric around the pipe to continue the process. Almost looks like carbon fiber weave. 😉
Just stencil out "DUCATI", heat the pipes up, and rub an old boot over it....lol

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,654 Posts
Acetone should shift it, but first try out on a non visible patch of the can to see it it marks it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've had this happen before to the hot exhaust of my dirt bike ...gym shorts got too close and melted a hole right through my shorts, left a patch of synthetic material on the header pipe. I had already ceramic coated that header but after the brush up, it left a pretty bad spot. I ended up having that pipe re-coated because nothing else would take it off. Looks brand new now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts