Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently purchased S2R has a swollen gas tank to the point where the latch will not open. I can get the tank off by releasing the hinge, but what do I do for a long term solution (without replacing the tank)?

Some searching here on the forum suggests re-drilling the latch mounting holes to move the tank rearward.

Any other newer solutions or ideas?

Michael

·
Registered
50 Posts
In the Multistrada world some people have had success removing the tank, gas cap, and fuel pump and storing the tank somewhere dry for a bit. A couple days will help, but a week or two will be most effective. Afterwards try to use ethanol free. This may be difficult but try PureGas. I found a station next to my work and a couple miles from the house. Perfect!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've also heard that storing the tank empty and open will eventually reduce the swelling... don't know if it's more better than filling it with non-eth fuel.

When I bought my 796, it had been parked in the garage for a year with ethanol-blended fuel and had swelled a bit. Since then, I've switched to non-eth exclusively (unless I'm traveling and can't find it on the way) and haven't had any problems. I used to have to drive all the way to OK to get non-eth premium fuel (yes, I love having 15 gallons of gas stored in my garage... not) but more and more places are popping up with non-eth pumps, including one much closer to me than OK. The trick is finding 'non-eth' and 'premium' in the same place... Xyst is right, pure-gas.org is invaluable...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
If you have an off season and can let the tank 'dry out' it should shrink a bit. You may consider getting your tank coated, although I never did.

I can't get E-free gas in Massachusetts. I have a 2007 GT that I had to shim in 2009. Tips for reducing swelling that have helped me is to put Seafoam (the gas treatment, not the ocean scuz) in every tank. Also I only store the bike with enough gas to keep the lower half of the fuel pump submerged.

Also eliminate the charcoal canister and direct vent to eliminate pressure build up.

So far no additional swelling in past 10 years.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I use non ethanol whenever I can. If I have to put ethanol in it’s only a gallon or two until I can get more straight gas. Stations in my area only carry regular, not premium. It runs fine. I too use SeaFoam. My tank was slightly swollen and I emptied it before winter. By spring it appeared to no longer be swollen so I coated it and reinstalled it. So far so good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The hinge for the tank has slots where it mounts to the frame. Just loosen the hinge and slide the tank back a little.

A long term solution is to let it dry and air out completely. It should shrink back down. Then just try and use ethanol free fuel going forward.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All great ideas, thanks.

There is really no 'off season' here in San Diego and AFAIK all of CA gas has ethanol unless I want to buy $11/gallon race fuel.

I already have the slotted hinge pushed all the way back.

This bike sat for months, or longer, before I got it so maybe more frequent riding and some fuel additive such as k100 could help bring it down.

-M

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yikes! Lots of them up north... but you are SOL down in Diego... :(

Sta-Bil makes an ethanol fuel stabilization product, I don't know if it would help your swelling issues or not.

FWIW, I used to drive the 70 miles to Oklahoma to get non-eth fuel... it was a pain, but it was worth it. Granted, I don't pay $10/gal for it, nor is my Ducati a daily driver (since I work from home...) so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the good news is that I have not heard of any catastrophic problems or dangerous issues regarding the expanding tanks. Worst I could find is potential fuel seepage due to the o-ring not sealing at the flange, and much of that could just be an old o-ring.

If so, I can live with that.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
The catastrophic problem is that it can ruin your paint. Though the plastic will expand and contract, your paint won’t necessarily expand and contract at the same rate. This causes bubbling, ripples, paint coming loose. Best to keep it at an absolute minimum. There is a lot of debate on whether coating the inside is going to do any good. I decided to try it, it might help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Current paint issues already where the previous owner removed the center stripe and damaged the clear so if things get worse I can seek getting it dryed and coated.

The catastrophic problem is that it can ruin your paint. Though the plastic will expand and contract, your paint won’t necessarily expand and contract at the same rate. This causes bubbling, ripples, paint coming loose. Best to keep it at an absolute minimum. There is a lot of debate on whether coating the inside is going to do any good. I decided to try it, it might help.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I can tell quickly when mine is starting to swell because the rubber bumpers on the bottom of each side of the tank don’t line up with the frame the u-shape fits onto the frame rail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts