Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'd like to install HID lights on my MTS 1200 Touring. Is it as simple as taking the OEM bulbs out, replacing them with HID ones? I've read about this conversion kit, but not being proficient in motorcycle mechanics or electronic systems I couldn't quite make out if this was necessary or not. As I understand, HID lights consume less power so it seems like no power management/adaptation is needed.

Then again, I have no clue! :)

Any and all answers are appreciated - thanks!

s

·
Registered
84 Posts
It isn't technically difficult, but it is not as simple as swaping bulbs. You will need to hook up ballasts for each bulb and wiring for the new bulbs. In a bike as modern as this, its a bit tricky to find the perfect location for these ballasts, but there are quite a few threads on it. I put some on my old bike and they were great, I haven't taken that route yet with the Multi, as the lights are pretty good once adjusted and dont feel like taking the panels off frankly!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great - thanks a lot for the reply! That's very helpful as I have a direction in which to continue looking.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Lots of threads here and on other Ducati formum...and as ever lot's of views!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You change the bulb. You take the red and black wires and plug it into the specified leads. The hardest part is finding a nice place to hide the ballasts and wiring properly.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just put HIDs on my multi an it took about 2 hours to do. Mounted the ballasts on the side fairings, they tuck away nicely in there so they can't be seen. Makes a big difference riding at night, I can see more clearly with these bulbs than the stock ones. Don't get any over 6k if you want a nice bright white light, that higher the Calvin rating the more blue or purple the light will be but also the less bright it will appear. 5.4k or 6k is perfect for getting the most usable light out of the bulbs. It's all plug and play so you don't have to worry about fancy wiring or being electrically inclined. If you wire it up and the light won't turn on simply reverse the leads and they'll work. Space can get tight for mounting the ballasts so try to have an idea of where you want to mount them before diving into the project to save some time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! I found some instructions online so now I'm trying to see what are the smallest ballasts available.

Thanks all for input!

s

·
Registered
63 Posts
while putting in HID bulbs is easy you are better off if you get proper projector lenses .... standard housings are not made for HIDs and the beam, while bright, is a mess. Go the full mile, spend $200 more, and add the projector lense.

·
Registered
665 Posts
while putting in HID bulbs is easy you are better off if you get proper projector lenses .... standard housings are not made for HIDs and the beam, while bright, is a mess. Go the full mile, spend $200 more, and add the projector lense.
Couldn't agree more. If you really want more light on the road ahead of you go for the projectors. But it's a lot more work to do, as you have to dismount the whole headlight unit and remove the glass en glue it back on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yes projectors would definitely concentrate the light more on the road however HIDs with these projectors work fine as well. My visibility has gone up 300%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts