Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been commuting on Suzuki GSX1000S for 4 years and put 60k miles on it. Before that had Honda CB and kawa. Never rode Ducati before.
Switched to 2019 Supersport S and had my first ride today. 40miles/50min trip.
First impression, compared to GSX:
1) Great control. Super light and nimble, true traffic ninja. Although it has the same weight as GSX it feels way lighter somehow.
2) Love the seat position. This is what I was looking for. A mix of my 3 bikes: GSX1000, GSXR750 and Yamaha R3. Simply perfect combination.
3) Definitely less powerful that gsx
4) Can't see shit in that mirrors. After 90mph cars and bikes in my mirrors become fuzzy little ovals. I guess I need to start turning my head instead as I suppose to be doing on any bike.
5) Downshift with DQS in something unnatural and should be banned lol. Took me a while to start doing it. Still didn't like the way it goes so prob will disable it and leave only Upshift.
6) The shifting was the biggest challenge today. You know like you shift based on the engine sound... yeah but is not inline 4 anymore. My brain fucked me over on that one and I ended up shifting up and down all the time. Definitely will need some time to adjust to this engine.
7) The seat became very hot after a while. Which is kinda nice now but I'm curios now how will it feel on long summer trips.

Overall this is amazing bike. I can't say this is the best bike I ever had just yet. Need to get use to it. Will need to do another review after 2-3K miles I guess.
Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you nailed just about all the nits and plusses with the newer SS models.

You might try the 939 SS forum if you haven't been on yet. Here's a fix the I've used on my bike regarding the mirrors using Sorbothane as a vibration dampener. It will improve but not totally fix the mirrors.

You'll also improve "the power deficiency" by going to a 14T front sprocket, the bike is a little overgeared. It will never be as fast as 1000 Gsxer. Anyway, the forum has good info but some of the members are a little sour.

With 10k miles, I find the bike revs a little quicker and gearbox has loosened up. It's still notchy getting into neutral and the clutch is grabby cold.

The catalytic converter does generate heat. It's only a bother to me in traffic. Also, the radiator fan doesn't come on until about 215 degrees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you nailed just about all the nits and plusses with the newer SS models.

You might try the 939 SS forum if you haven't been on yet. Here's a fix the I've used on my bike regarding the mirrors using Sorbothane as a vibration dampener. It will improve but not totally fix the mirrors.

You'll also improve "the power deficiency" by going to a 14T front sprocket, the bike is a little overgeared. It will never be as fast as 1000 Gsxer. Anyway, the forum has good info but some of the members are a little sour.

With 10k miles, I find the bike revs a little quicker and gearbox has loosened up. It's still notchy getting into neutral and the clutch is grabby cold.

The catalytic converter does generate heat. It's only a bother to me in traffic. Also, the radiator fan doesn't come on until about 215 degrees.
Cool! Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Any chance the bike will smooth out with some miles on it ? Some engines smooth out noticeably after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
694 Posts
some bike just have buzzy spots where they dont feel as smooth, my 91 900SS in 6th gear @ 4K is a little rough--enough so that I can feel it thru the seat--if I get past 4500rpm in top gear it is smooth. This is a top gear thing only. Now I never use 6th gear unless I am going over 80 mph lol--my gearing is 14 tooth ft 39 tooth rear

·
Registered
18 Posts
Smooth out? I've never gotten that vibe (pun intended). I don't know who asking. But this a loping 90 degree V twin than needs to be rev'd. It's not peaky but shouldn't be lugged.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
The new Supersports are true "riders bikes." Comfortable for a 300 mile day, nimble enough for the city, super stable in the twisties. That said, no bike is the perfect bike, if there were one, you would have bought it already. There are always trade offs. I love mine because I'm 6'5" and it fits me like most people fit on the Panigales - no-one really makes a "sport bike" for tall people, this is definitely the closest I've found.

There are two different mirror vibration modes. One is due to the physics of the lever arm of the mirror/subrframe/frame/motor, and the other is due to loose mounting of the reflective surface interior to the housing. There's not much to do about the former other than keeping the bike above 3K rpms. LowRyters sorbothane fix works well for the latter. There was a recall for mirror vibrations, your bike should already have the upgraded mirrors, but it's worth checking.

I've gotten lazy with the quickshifter, and now I use it exclusively in/out of all gears other than 1/N. Mine is smooth as butter, but it took until about 1500 miles to get there. Some of that is transmission break-in, and some of that is developing the muscle memory for using it well. Most people complain about not being able to find neutral, grabby clutches when cold and false neutrals between 5/6, keep an eye out for that, there's warranty returns approved for any of the above.

It's not the most powerful bike out there, I lament the fact that they still haven't done a 1200 Supersport yet, based on the Monster 1200S motor. Also consider that the 11 degree cams are engineered to build significant low end torque which is great for the city and twisty roads, but that overlap figure does really poorly at flowing high rpm air where the horsepower is built. It's a compromise, and unfortunately the platform/frame isn't compatable with DVT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for the false neutral 5/6 I'm getting it now. I guess this because I powershift on my gsx so it just row over the throlle for a moment and quick light tip/push the gear pedal (shit your language is hard lol).
With SS with it's DQS I just need to push harder I suppose.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
In many cases, the missed shifts are from not using the shift lever aggressively enough. You don't need to kill it, but "light" "feather" or "slip" should not be words to describe what you do with your left foot. Many people had problems missing up-shifts because the shift lever is adjusted too high from the factory, out of the ergonomic range of motion of most peoples feet. Try adjusting it lower by a turn or two at the rod, or by moving the shifter arm one notch at the motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts