Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned Ducati superbikes for nearly 24 years now. 851 bought in '96. 999 bought in '05 (sold in '10 and bought back the exact machine again in '16), and 1299S bought in '18.

So I am used to generally uncomfortable ergonomics (851), plenty of performance for the street (all), and nearly unbearable summer seat/engine heat (1299, 999).

47 today. Body at 23 (when I bought 851) is very different from middle-aged motorcyclist, I don't ride as often as I could. Superbikes normally are used on weekends and nice days. Did my first New Years ride this year in many years.

When the Multi came out in air-cooled and later 1200 form....I was unimpressed and never really considered it even a "real" Ducati. However, again and again as I consider adding another bike while a V4 Streetfighter or Panigale would be more of the same, something a bit different keeps popping in my mind. Namely a Hypermotard (would want an 1100S), Diavel, and the Multistrada 1200S of some form.

Hyper seems like fun and quite impractical, a lot like the superbikes I have now. Maybe not the best choice of the three.
Diavel is certainly different and looks like it would be very comfortable, but even its use would be somewhat limited.

But the Multi...maybe there is a bike that can do many things very well. Highway commuting & trips. Plenty fast (faster than anything I own but the 1299S animal in the garage), it certainly looks like it would be comfortable. I would want an S version of some form with ABS.

So which one? Please give feedback from your experience if this is inaccurate:
2010-11: original 1200. S has semi-active Ohlins. Some rumblings of heads needing to be replaced after 20k miles or so due to casting defect. non-S also available without ABS
2012: same as above without the head issues. Maybe the best value choice.
2013-2014? New Skyhook electronic suspension and dual-spark plug heads for smoother low-speed running and better fuel economy.
2015-18: DVT engine. TFT dash. I assume more electronics.

The bike that stands out as a pretty cool bike would be the 2017-18 Enduro Pro. Still quite expensive secondhand, but a very unique and cool version of the model. I am tall so the seat height would not be a big deal. 19" front wheel might mean different handling but I would likely also taking on easy off-road situations.

After my mom died last year I did the normal assessment of things I would like to do while I can with a new sense of urgency. One of the things I would like to try is a bit of "adventure" riding. Not difficult off-roading, sold my YZ450 a couple of years ago before I hurt myself. Gravel roads, maybe fire trails, easy off-road stuff. I am fortunate to live near Arkansas which promotes motorcycle tourism and actually have planned road & trail routes (maybe 150 miles each) that seem pretty neat. It would be cool to try to do all the routes in a year on the 15-odd weekends it would take to do all of them. The Enduro might be the perfect Ducati that could do all of them.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, just looking for opinions on these bikes. New to the family.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Subscribed. I’m also 47 and am thinking of one do it all bike. Currently have too many in the stable for different purposes. My good friend had to redo the engine on a 2012 1200s with 15k mikes - they are not immune. Cost him $6k. He loves it. Sold his gsx-s1000 afterwards as was redundant. The 2010-14 models seems slightly smaller physically. I rode my friends bike - it’s a blast. As always, terms/Ecu makes a difference

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dude... great topic and question. Some thoughts, in bullets for brevity:

• I am 48, and have been riding street bikes since I was 18. (motocross prior to 18).
  • Nearly all of my riding prior to 42, had been on Super sport bikes(R1’s, GSX-R’s, CBR1k’s, etc) Road Raced for 4 years too.
  • At 42 I figured I would dip my toe in the water with a) both Ducati, and b) a Multistrada. A 2012 Multistrada Pikes Peak. As a note, I also bought a Panigale at the same time...as I wasn’t quite ready yet to give up Hyperbikes.
  • Long story short, the Panigale didn’t get ridden much. The Multistrada was/is an incredible performer, and for me does everything well. I also fell in love with the Ducati brand...as it sounds like you already have.
  • I am now (embarrassingly) on my 4th MTS Pikes Peak. 2012, 2013, 2014 and now 2019.
  • I still love all super sports/bikes and all fast bikes, and kick around getting a new V4 Panigale or the new Street Fighter v4 as a 2nd bike. However, that’s not because I am “missing” anything really on the Pikes Peak. It’s just out of simple lust for new hardware. The MTS’s are simply awesome performers Though. The electronics packages now are also incredible.
-Plus the wife actually enjoys riding with.

I am confident you will enjoy the MTS...and if you decide to go more off-road/adventure, and sure the Enduro will also kill it for you. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Find one for a price and mileage you like. If you're not afraid of used then it's more about what hit's your likes... they're all great bikes. I think they've gotten less rowdy over the years, more refined... more safety features... and the newer bikes don't seem to have some of the more nagging issues of the older ones like gas tank swell, fuel sender unit failures, and so on. BUT... I've ridden 13, 15, and 18 Multi's as well as the Enduro... the non-enduro multi's are all really close in basic feel. The Enduro is surprisingly also fairly close give it's bigger size (you do feel that size a bit though in the twisties)... and for a tall rider might actually be the perfect choice even if they're not planning to do real offroad.

FWIW... I'm 52 and am thinking about a Streetfighter to live next to the Multi... so going the other way a bit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Like you, I'm in my mid 40's (44 here) and I started out on a 2007 Yamaha R1 that I rode for 8 years before trading in on a 2017 S1000R. The S1KR was a very capable machine, but still wasn't as comfortable as I'd have liked so this summer I traded it in on a leftover 2016 Multi S Touring (7 grand off MSRP, had ~7 miles on the clock) and I don't regret it one bit.

I personally have no interest in going off-road and I'd guess the enduro would likely be giving up too much "on road" performance for my riding preferences so I can't give any input there. The Multi is just too heavy and expensive for me to even consider taking it off-road. As it is I am having a hard time getting to grips (haha) with the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's that came on my 2016 S Touring, I will definitely be going to a more street oriented tire when the time comes.

The Multi definitely isn't as fast through the bends as either of my previous bikes but it's an amazing jack of all trades. The 1200 DVT engine is a lot of fun, sounds great and pulls your arms off compared to an I4.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I echo a lot of what the guys here have written. I've been riding since I was 10. However my first Ducati was a 959 Panigale purchased when I retired in my fifties. I put 20k kms on it during the three years of ownership. I also owned a Monster during this time. Btw, we only ride 6 months per year here in Ontario. However, I needed a sportbike that could ride two-up. The Multistrada Pikes Peak was it. Traded the 959 but still looking at getting a V4. Riding keeps us young.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you're committed to the off road stuff, look for something smaller, with less expensive hard parts. I've ridden my 2018 off road several times, it's a 500lb bike and feels every bit of it on dirt and gravel. Trying to haul one down so you can make a hairpin turn on loose gravel isn't my idea of a good time.

I ride in Arkansas 2-3 times a year on average, any MTS is going to be a good bike for those roads, though IMO the Enduro is overkill. Services can get pretty sparse in central AR, but not so bad that you need a 300+ mile range. Even 200 is more than enough unless you ride past some stations.

Ride as many as you can, then decide. Personally I would stay away from a pre 2012 bike just due to age, unless you're willing to spend some money and time on a full overhaul.

If you aren't set on off road riding, consider the SuperSport, too. That bike would really shine on some of the technical stuff that can make an MTS feel like a truck. More friendly ergos than a Panigale, and it's available with hard bags.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The weight is something that definitely give me pause, and the apparent height of the CoG means it could be a handful if you get into trouble. That was something I HATED about my YZ, the weight but more the feeling of weight in really tight stuff. The Ducati would be way worse but I would never take it where I took the YZ.

OTOH I like the idea of sitting up high in traffic and on the road, and the Multi Enduro would be great for that.

Age of the bike doesn't really bother me. The older the bikes I have, the easier they work on. An old E900 with its desmodue engine would likely be far easier to live with than any new bike if it weren't for chassis and trim parts availability.

Not sure about the Supersport, it hasn't grown on me at all. Would look for a 907 i.e.or ST4s (or Futura) among others if I wanted to go that route. But that is veering off topic a bit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The older the bikes I have, the easier they work on. An old E900 with its desmodue engine would likely be far easier to live with than any new bike if it weren't for chassis and trim parts availability.
That will hold true with the MTS as well. Anything pre-2015/DVT motor is going to be easier to work on; the valve service on a DVT engine is apparently complicated enough that most Ducati techs recommend not trying it without training. I've not tried it myself, so can't speak to how much of that is legitimate warning vs. wanting the billable work.

·
Bon Vivant
10,584 Posts
You don't need the enduro version to do fire roads and some light off road and you will give up some street performance at the ludicrous end of the spectrum that the S model and the earlier bikes (10-12) excel at. I'm pushing 50,000 miles on my 2011 and have had very few problems. Back in Colorado I rode it off road on many occasions, it's not a dirt bike but it performs on gravel roads and smooth trails just fine, I've even done some easy single track with it. I ride mostly curvy paved roads and mostly 2-up on my multi and it is the best sporting bike I've ever been on for long trips fully loaded, but it is not great on the highway. I try to avoid boring highways as much as I can and find back roads around those long stretches.

I really dont know much about the later models but I know the 1260 has more relaxed geometry which means slower steering and more stability ( take your pick, nimble or stable) I've looked at trading my bike a newer model a half dozen times over the years and for what I'd get in an upgrade it just doesnt make sense. I'll probably ride this until it dies or ducati gives me a really good reason to trade (V4 multi)

This is what it looks like today with all those miles, and a whole bunch of goodies bolted and slathered on it, still the same great bike 8 years and 50K miles later.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
You DEFINITELY don't need the Enduro for dirt roads. I've got maybe 10,000 miles on dirt roads with my 15S... it does fine.

If you're a complete idiot... you even can do it 2500 miles from home with a full load of travel gear and street tires.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'm also 52 and came from a superbike oriented past. I bought my MTS about 2 years ago.

I have an 1100S, I put a set of knobbies on another set of rims and have done quite a bit of offroad with it... some FSR's but way more trails and deactivated logging roads. Down steep inclines through streams and up steep banks on the other side, up fairly steep loose gravel/cobble, etc. The multi performs... you'll never get out of second gear but fun can be had. Where the multi will always suck is a) sand (front wheel too small) and downhill decel, particularly into turns. It's heavy and there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Mine is an '09 and I think it's about 420 lbs. - the newer ones are considerably heavier.

I love the fact that I have a bike I can ride overland to the track and still be competitive when I get there after a quick tire change. I can carry items larger than a sandwich in the generous luggage. My wrists, back, neck and butt no longer get sore on longer rides. The riding position takes awhile to get used to, can't tell you how many times I rode off and my feet were swinging around looking for the pegs about 8" back of where they actually are.

Find out what's for sale in your area and go ride them, then it's just a matter of picking the best one. Or two. Or...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hey there Steve, Ive had my 2010 1200Touring Multi for 8 years now, longest time for a bike I've ever owned. 82,000kms now and been bullet proof. Don't ride it much nowadays, as i use mostly the 1290GT for fast touring and the 790 for hooning and trackdays. I never found the Multi that great on gravel (190 rear tire) but it will commute on gravel roads ok. Mine is mainly for touring now days with the wife. But i do love getting on the big Multi and cane it on our back roads, and its bloody fast and nimble for a big bike. If a lot of gravel is in your future any of the KTM adventurers would be better, especially the new 790 adventure, but they aren't Ducati's so may be sacralege this route. I love the big Multi, its my only Italian bike at the mo, and the early ones still have that rawness. Good luck choosing..............(ps, haven't been on here much lately, the new format is weird)

·
Registered
74 Posts
well at 61 a little older but here is my take
and my thought only
the 2012 models had a motor that was more like the duc superbikes raw
the 13-14 smoothed it out but still that duc feeling
15 on was more smooth
i got a 14 and love it,but would love the seat height of the 15 lol

Attachments

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
turned 70 this year, 16 Multi 1200S a sport bike you can ride for hours, I laugh at the sport bike guys flapping their hands to get the circulation back on the ride home

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
You'd expect the bikes to become more refined over the years and that's the case but Ducati has added another item as they have developed and refined the Multistrada and it is hard to ignore how this "feature" has altered the fundamental nature of the machine. What happened to the slim, trim, characterful and very much more sport oriented touring bike they introduced in 2010? It got fat.

Indeed, when introduced in 2010, the biggest selling point for me was that the Multi was much lighter than the bulk of the competition. This is something you feel as soon as you throw a leg over it. Behold:

2019 1260S dry weight: 496 pounds (wet=560 pounds)
2012 dry weight: 421 pounds. (wet weight=485 pounds)
Now, both numbers are possibly/probably lies (and may vary a bit according to source) but the relative differences remain. The new ones are chubbier than the old ones. Thus the incremental power increases have been largely offset by weight increases. A ride ready Ducati now weighs in within 20 pounds of a 1250 GS (factory specs), effectively nulling the desirable weight advantage the Multi once had. Bear in mind, that difference used to be near 100 pounds.

While many things have been much improved, Ducati has failed to control weight/mission creep as the bike has aged. It should pain Ducati to realize most of us (their customers) have done a better job of controlling our personal avoir du pois over the last 10 years than Ducati has with the Multi and unlike a bike, humans have to eat every day!

So while the machines have improved in almost every way as touring bikes, they have lost the elemental focus of the original Multi as an "almost sports bike" alternative that could be easily and comfortably toured.

Want a bike that feels sportier? That's the earlier machine. Want one that is going to be a more complete tourer? That's the newer ones.

Not withstanding the many improvements in features and build, Ducati have not really retained that critical weight distinction which was the ultimate differentiation between the Multi and its competition.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Agree it seems like every year saw additional features and additional weight... looking at all dry weights without accessories - 417lbs in 2010, by 2014 Ducati was saying 430'ish lbs dry for the PP. 2015 and DVT saw that jump to 460'ish lbs (numbers vary site to site). Since the bike is getting fatter it seems like Ducati is getting cagier about the numbers - the 1260 I'm seeing high 460's vs. low 460's for 1200 DVT's but since the number is sort of BS'y anyway that tells me they're suggesting the DVT weights are all about the same. It's not exactly 100lbs but it is close to 50lbs from 2010 to 2020.

There's also the subjective 'feel' of the bikes. I rode my (new at the time) 15s over to check out a 13s my Cousin was looking at (he did end up buying it). Rode them back to back to back... the most significant differences weren't in any of the dynamic behaviors of the bike (accel, braking, flickability, etc...) which are very close between the two. The most 'striking' differences were three things: the 13 seat was a lot harder, the default suspension settings on the 13 were firmer (we played with them and softened it up), and the 13 LOOKED thinner (the seat gave you the subjective feel of being thinner, not sure it actually was but the front of the bike DEFINITELY appeared lighter/narrower and it gave the impression of a more 'svelte' lined bike. The only real dynamic difference I noted was that the 13 was a little less refined down low in the rpm range (which is or is not a bad thing depending on your perspective), but the 13 felt a bit more 'sumo' and the 15 felt a bit more 'adv'. (again good or bad depending on what you're looking for)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts