Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone managed to effect a repair after the original location pin breaks?

Not too keen to replace switchgear with it being the left hand unit with the ABS switch. I don't want to know the price:eek:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I normally remove the pins, what do you need them for?

Tom
Serious...don't think so Tom. :)

I'm thinking of wrapping the bar in some thin tape where the switchgear clamps up. Without the pin it is very loose which would be the reason why it broke in the first place. I believe the pin is there to locate the switch gear in the correct position and not bear the weight of the unit when in operation.

The right hand switch is very tight and cannot be moved so the pin will never be loaded.

Just enough tape to stop it moving around I reckon. ;) Just wondered if anyone else had a different solution??

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
Serious...don't think so Tom. :)

I'm thinking of wrapping the bar in some thin tape where the switchgear clamps up. Without the pin it is very loose which would be the reason why it broke in the first place. I believe the pin is there to locate the switch gear in the correct position and not bear the weight of the unit when in operation.

The right hand switch is very tight and cannot be moved so the pin will never be loaded.

Just enough tape to stop it moving around I reckon. ;) Just wondered if anyone else had a different solution??
Use the 3M weatherproof tape.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I killed both my pins around 5 years ago in order to rotate the levers down to a more comfortable position. They have not moved a jot since then

·
Registered
654 Posts
Cut a strip of 600 grade wet/dry paper the width off the switch/clamp
and clamp down and around that it will stop the switch from turning.

brian.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I killed both my pins around 5 years ago in order to rotate the levers down to a more comfortable position. They have not moved a jot since then
Yeah thats what I am going to do....once my other pin is forceably gone. A few degrees on the clutch lever made a big difference to the comfort.

Seriously, you don't need them.

None of my older bikes have them, they are just there for ease of manufacturing, same as the pins for clip-ons, brake levers, etc.
Yep thinking about it now you are serious Tom. agree with the ease of manufacturing reason.

Weatherproof tape or 600 grit......I'll have this sorted

Thanks guys

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
When mine broke I obtained an allen head bolt with a head of the correct diameter to fit the hole in the bar and then drilled and tapped an appropriate hole in the switch gear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lever Rotation

Johnny, how much rotation can you get with the pins out? I hate the current position of the levers,:(

·
7,733 Posts
Cut a strip of 600 grade wet/dry paper the width off the switch/clamp
and clamp down and around that it will stop the switch from turning.

brian.
Which way would the grit side go? On side will be slick, yes?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Johnny, how much rotation can you get with the pins out? I hate the current position of the levers,:(
Rod not all I wanted but enough to make a world of difference. About a 1" on the position of the levers. Take care that you don't foul the fairing with the brake resevior though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts