Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be nice to have a power outlet on the bike that was switched, meaning it turns off when the bike turns off. On my BMW, I have this so my GPS/Radios turns off when I shut off the bike and I don't have to worry about draining the battery.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Both accessory outlets are switched as is the dedicated gps power connector under the left fairing panel.

Search is a marvelous feature of this site.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On page 135 of the manual it says the outlets are fused, but doesn't indicate that they are switch. It also gives a warning not to leave accessories attached as they may drain the battery.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
They're both switched and on the same 10a accessory circuit. Again, use search. If all else fails actually try plugging something in the socket.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Use the switched GPS connector for your GPS.

It's on the left side behind the panel, on this forum you find more info and pictures about it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did use search, Marty. A link would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hi wlRider,
I take your post in a slightly different way. I think you are asking about the best way to power accessories - and in your defence, some of the useful information is not easy to find with the search function.

I hade the same idea early on and rather than wire up accessories as they came along, I would do it in a far more organised way. I use a TPS-15 system from Touratech.
TPS 15 for BMW CAN-BUS 15A relais switch | Touratech AG

This is CANBUS friendly. If you search you will find a few other options with various features.

These things work like this. They are a bank of fused micro-solenoids that are wired to the bikes power. They send this power to your accessory when it is switched on. The good thing about the TPS is that you can have up to 5 accessories accessories wired via a fuse to battery power BUT this power is only available when the bike is on. This means that you can choose to power radios and an accessory horn or spotlights only when the bike is on without upsetting the CANBUS and you will not flatten the battery.

I wired mine up the the battery earth and active terminals and use the MTS1200 GPS wire to trigger my horn and spotlights so they are only active when the bike is on. It easily fits next to the battery under the seat and gives easy ability to wire in accessories at a later date.

See posts 2 and 5 here:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/95610-split-stebel-nautilis-compact-horn-mts1200-part-1-a.html

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I've had this unit on my 1198 for add ons and also now on my Multi 1200.
I think this is exactly what you're looking for

3 Circuit

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks TimOz and LaR. They look like they give the flexability that I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hi wlRider,
I take your post in a slightly different way. I think you are asking about the best way to power accessories - and in your defence, some of the useful information is not easy to find with the search function.

I hade the same idea early on and rather than wire up accessories as they came along, I would do it in a far more organised way. I use a TPS-15 system from Touratech.
TPS 15 for BMW CAN-BUS 15A relais switch | Touratech AG

This is CANBUS friendly. If you search you will find a few other options with various features.

These things work like this. They are a bank of fused micro-solenoids that are wired to the bikes power. They send this power to your accessory when it is switched on. The good thing about the TPS is that you can have up to 5 accessories accessories wired via a fuse to battery power BUT this power is only available when the bike is on. This means that you can choose to power radios and an accessory horn or spotlights only when the bike is on without upsetting the CANBUS and you will not flatten the battery.

I wired mine up the the battery earth and active terminals and use the MTS1200 GPS wire to trigger my horn and spotlights so they are only active when the bike is on. It easily fits next to the battery under the seat and gives easy ability to wire in accessories at a later date.

See posts 2 and 5 here:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/95610-split-stebel-nautilis-compact-horn-mts1200-part-1-a.html
this is the same unit I use. my installation write up is on Andy's MTS1200 site.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Martys,
My apologies. I forgot your excellent "how to" with pics and that Andy had written it up. wlRider, that is the way to go whichever system you choose. I can't recommend AndyW's site enough. It is basically a collection of tech information for how to posts and other sources in one place. Helps not having to sift through many posts that are years old.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I've been checking out Andy's site and it definitely has a nice compilation of information that I'm sure I will find useful.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Andy's site is awesome. I wish one of the moderators would make a sticky link to it. It answers so many question new and experienced multi owners have.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is my setup. Right on top of the battery.

Fuzeblock
- Super easy to install
- No cutting into rear seat
-No complicated routing of wires

Fuzeblock from twisted throttle. Easily set each accessory from constant to switched power.

·
Registered
270 Posts
2015 MTS1200S Touring powerlet socket?

Does anyone know if the powerlet socket on the front fairing is switched on/off with the bike?
Thanks...
Was thinking about taping into it for my Garmin GPS power.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts