Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to install Denali D2 2.0 lights on my 2014 Multistrada 1200S Touring bike. I haven't opened up the fairings, yet, but I expect someone out there has discovered what I will be looking for..

I need a "switched 12V" power source to connect the control wire to, that drives the Denali light relay. This doesn't have to power the lights, but it has to be on, producing 12V, when the engine is on (when the low beam headlight also comes on by, by default). I want my lights to be on at the same time that the running headlight is on. I've heard that, since the running headlights are LEDs they might not be powered by 12V. Not sure if this is true with this bike.

Anyway, the Denali wiring harness comes with a "Posi-tap" connecter to splice in to a line. If I can find a better way to get into an axillary socket, that will be preferred.

Thanks!

·
Registered
259 Posts
You can tap into the GPS wire off the left side. It’s a switched 12V line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
Search same subject here. I tapped the accessory fuse under the seat for a similar purpose, but in my case full power (not for a relay).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help..

I found the connector and posted an additional photo here for clarity. This is a small white two wire connector. There are dead-ended wires connected to it. Those wires were doubled-back under the zip tie that is holding the connector. I pulled them straight out for this photo. Both of the out-board wires are black (not too helpful). The positive wire can be identified with a volt meter or by looking at the back of the on-board side of the connector, where the blue-red wire is positive.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to complete the thought... I was able to remove the outboard wires by carefully releasing the connector and then I cut the dead-end shrink tube off. This left just enough of the two wires to install a waterproof butt splice to connect to the positive wire (identified with a volt meter) to the Denali light relay control wire. I left the negative wire unstripped, and taped it to the outside of the butt splice. This all works to control the Denali light relay as expected. The lights come on as soon as the electronics are powered up.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Are these auxillary lights intended to be on all the time, like a Low Beam headlight ?
OR
Are these intended as additional High Beam lights, that extinguish when you switch from the OEM High beam, down to Low beam ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are these auxillary lights intended to be on all the time, like a Low Beam headlight ?
OR
Are these intended as additional High Beam lights, that extinguish when you switch from the OEM High beam, down to Low beam ?
I believe the Denali lights has a high and low feature. You can probably use it on all the time

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of the box, the Denali D2 2.0 lights have an ON-OFF handlebar switch, and the wiring harness is set up so the lights will be on at full brightness when the switched power is on, and the handlebar switch is on. They offer optional components to change this in three ways:

1) The lights have a feature called "DataDim" which is not enabled using the basic kit (as explained above). To use this, you get a replacement relay (that replaces the original relay in the socket in the wiring harness). There is a tap in the original wiring harness that you then need to wire into your high-beam circuit as a sensor. When the high beam is on, the Denali lights are on full power. When the high beam is off, the Denali lights are on at half power. Note that this requires that the high beam runs on 12V, and not a reduced voltage used by some LED lights. It appears to me that the high beams on the 2014 Multistrada are conventional bulbs, so probably 12V. If anyone knows the best way to tap the high beam circuit, please shout out.

2) They offer an optional three-position handlebar switch, so you can select OFF-DIM-HIGH, manually.

3) They offer a handlebar switch cut-out plug, so you can remove the handlebar switch all together.

They don't describe an option to automatically turn the Denali lights completely off when the bike is in low beam mode. That might be required in some states - but I guess that DataDim is the answer to that. If these are considered to be "driving lights" - supplements to the headlight - then the "off with high beam" rule might not apply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts