Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My swingarm cracked again, this time beyond repair. I have a replacement from a 1000DS SS.

I have looked in the Haynes and factory workshop manual and neither answer my question. Searching here and elsewhere there is conflicting information.

Q: How to configure shims?

Have read both of the following:1.8 either side and extra shims placed with an equal number each side,
and 1.8 either side with any extra shims to go on the right side only (to keep chain etc centred).

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
i put one thick shim on the left and a thick and other required thin/s on the right, so that the chain alignment is not affected. i don't have a strong opinion on which method is more valid.

i've done a few bikes with a few thins shims on the right. as eric has mentioned previously, having the axle torqued can affect the required shimming at the pivot.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tnx for the replies fellas, so it seems either way is still the consensus.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
from Ducati WSM:

Checking swingarm end float
When refitting the swingarm, you will need to select suitable shims (12).

Check axial play as follows: place a 1.8 mm shim (12) on both sides of the engine; hold the left side of the swingarm (4) up against the engine and measure play on the other side of the engine using a feeler gauge or calibrated shims.
Maximum side play allowed is up to 0.10 mm.

When a 0.10 mm feeler gauge or shim is hard to fit, there is no need to shim the shaft. Otherwise, shims are available in two sizes (0.20 mm and 0.10 mm) to adjust play.

Caution
Always put the largest amount of shimming on the right side of the swingarm.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tnx for that grimah1W, just what I was looking for. The factory workshop manual I have is light on detailed instructions. What version do you have?

I use the attached.

Cheers.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts