Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i need some help.

for a new started project i'm looking for the difference between a monster single side swingarm and a swingarm from a 748/998.
are there differences in size or hole?
is there a difference in axle?
length of the axle, diameter of the axle?
can someone send me some specs about this?

i ride a 998 myself, so if someone can send me the measurements of the axle, swingarm (left and right side together) and maybe a picture or a discription of the axle, then you would make me a happy guy.

thanx,

mark

·
Registered
998 Posts
S2R swingarm

The difference [s2r/748] is that the S2r sssa fits all the earlier, standard Ducs. The 748 type has the pivot brgs. in the cases, rather than than the swingarm itself[at least that is my understanding of the 748 type].:think:
I know from personal experience the S2R sssa just bolts right on to an ST2.:p Either pivot pin can be used, the Monster pivot extended for rearset isolation mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Correction. Just double checked a parts site I found last night, the bearings are not in the cases on 748 style. What I have read/heard in my early investigation, is that machining of the cases is required, for fittment of 748/multi strada type swingarm.
I am not sure how much machining or for what.

·
Registered
998 Posts
To clear it all up, or add more confusion; Standard Duc has brgs. in the cases.
748 style has brgs. in the swingarm itself, not sure about the spacing between the arms.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
oke, a lot of thing's to think of.
nice pictures, project???

i also checked my side.
i have a multistrada swingarm.
but the axle is just the same as a 748 axle.
here are the specs of my system:
the axle is 32,5cm long. this includes the bolts. the bolts are 2,5cm and have a diameter of 2,5cm. the axle that goes through the swingarm and the engine has a diameter of 2cm.
the engine section is 14cm, with a 2cm diameter.
the swingarm right side has a diameter of 2.2cm and contains a bearing. it is 4,5 cm thick. the swingarm left side also has a 2,2cm diameter, contains a bearing but is 5,5cm thick.

the reason why i ask for info, is to seek out if i can fit the monster s4r/s2r pieces (the ones that connects the swingarm to the engine, where the steps are on) on my engine with the multistrada swingarm.
but i don't know the diameter and the thickness of those parts.
i also want to know the thickness of the left and right side of the swingarm to compare it with the multistrada arm. i can use an existing pivot/axle, but i can also fabric one, but i first have to know if the monster footrest hanger fits over a multistrada swingarm.

can you help me?

mark

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
to add more to the question, I'll describe another difference between the multi and a 748. looking from the rear of the bike, on a multi you have the exhaust pipe, the shock, then the adjusting rod. on a 748 you have the rod, the shock and the exhaust pipe. I don't know if it will matter, but the shock and ride height rods are in mirror reverse placement as to thier mounting positions. JB

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to add more to the question, I'll describe another difference between the multi and a 748. looking from the rear of the bike, on a multi you have the exhaust pipe, the shock, then the adjusting rod. on a 748 you have the rod, the shock and the exhaust pipe. I don't know if it will matter, but the shock and ride height rods are in mirror reverse placement as to thier mounting positions. JB
yeah your right.
that does not matter much. i noticed that difference as well and that´s why i know that i have a multistrada shock.
i ride a 998 myself so i was comparing and noticed the difference.
i am building an engine with the swingarm in a ss-frame so i have some welding to do anyway. the shock and adjustingrod has to be fitted to, haha.
but thanks for the sharpness.

mark

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
There are probably several threads about this topic - check with a search and you should come up with something. We have all thought of this at one time or another!

The Superbikes, HMs, and Multistradas have difference (narrower) engine cases that do not have integrated bearings - rather, the bearings are in the swingarm itself. Their frames provide the outer support for the swingarms. The Superbike single sided swingarms (SSSAs) will not work on a Monster.

The Sport Touring, Monster, Sport Classic, and Supersport engine cases are wider where the swing arm bolts up, and they have the integrated bearings. You can see that their frames do not provide any support for the swingarms - rather, the swingarms bolt onto an axle that rides on the integrated bearings in the engine cases.

If you want a SSSA on your monster, there are three routes to take:

1. Use the SSSA from the later Monsters (MS2R, MS4R, MS4Rs)

2. Spend some big buck and buy a Febur SSSA made just for the Monsters. Beautiful, but crazy expensive.

3. Start some major machining - either of the Superbike SSSA or the engine cases (I would choose to machine the SSSA myself).

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are probably several threads about this topic - check with a search and you should come up with something. We have all thought of this at one time or another!

The Superbikes, HMs, and Multistradas have difference (narrower) engine cases that do not have integrated bearings - rather, the bearings are in the swingarm itself. Their frames provide the outer support for the swingarms. The Superbike single sided swingarms (SSSAs) will not work on a Monster.

The Sport Touring, Monster, Sport Classic, and Supersport engine cases are wider where the swing arm bolts up, and they have the integrated bearings. You can see that their frames do not provide any support for the swingarms - rather, the swingarms bolt onto an axle that rides on the integrated bearings in the engine cases.

If you want a SSSA on your monster, there are three routes to take:

1. Use the SSSA from the later Monsters (MS2R, MS4R, MS4Rs)

2. Spend some big buck and buy a Febur SSSA made just for the Monsters. Beautiful, but crazy expensive.

3. Start some major machining - either of the Superbike SSSA or the engine cases (I would choose to machine the SSSA myself).

I hope this helps.

this helps me in something i didn't know. i learn more every day. haha.
thanks for that.

but i don't want a sssa in a monsterframe.
i want to build my engine (1000ds & multistrada sssa)
in a supersport frame (1995).
so i already have the engine and swingarm. the only thing is that i need a way to stabilize the engine (the way the original frames do, and the monster s4r/ s2r have the footrest hanger to do that).
the other thing i need to do is to make a way to fit the shock in the frame.

where do i find the threats you mentioned? i'm curious.

thanks, mark

·
Registered
998 Posts
Marky Mark, Now I think I understand what you are after, unfortunately it isn't there. The monster footrests[same questions I had when starting my project] do not locate the pivot pin. I used them because I like the flow of the styling and the better[?] location for my project. The end of the swing arm pivot pin is a hanger for the rearset isolation dampners, not something to add rigidity to the swingarm pivot.
2" rubber dampners between the pin and the rearset. That was what I meant in my original post when I said you could use either pivot pin, depending on the rearsets used.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marky Mark, Now I think I understand what you are after, unfortunately it isn't there. The monster footrests[same questions I had when starting my project] do not locate the pivot pin. I used them because I like the flow of the styling and the better[?] location for my project. The end of the swing arm pivot pin is a hanger for the rearset isolation dampners, not something to add rigidity to the swingarm pivot.
2" rubber dampners between the pin and the rearset. That was what I meant in my original post when I said you could use either pivot pin, depending on the rearsets used.
if i am correct, (it studied your fourth picture) i have the same back side of the engine. does your engine have the bearings inside? mine doesn't.
then on your picture comes the sssa. mine does contain bearings. yours??
and then on your pictures you have mounted the footrest-pieces.
what i know is that there are two bolds in the engine (somewhere under) and one hole where the swingarm pivot is going through, am i right?

what i want is to mount a sssa from a multistrada (contains bearings) instead of "your" s4r sssa. what do i need?

thanx

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yes, Bearings are in the crankcases on mine and on monsters and SS[most 2v engines] Multi and Hyper use the same set up as 748. NO Bearings in the swingarm, it gets locked to the pivot pin on Monsters[locking bolt on left side under chain guard]
Pivot pin is 19.95mm[maybe some wear] 176 mm between arms[for crankcases] 258mm between circlips retaining pivot pin. Monster pivot pin has about another 30mm extension for rearset mounts.
Lower rearset mounts left side uses one hole[rear] of sidestand mount and forward hole of ST centerstand mount. Right side uses 1 hole from ST brake linkage mount and forward hole of center stand mount. If I remember all that correctly, pretty sure. Still one more hole behind the mount[both sides] and one ahead on the left side[for sidestand front bolt].

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mark, your earlier post said the bolts had a 2.5 cm length and a 2.5cm diameter, but the axle is only 2cm diameter. How does that bolt fit in that axle. Total length of the monster axle would be about 32.5 cm, 267mm+30[approx.] each side. But I am not positive what the diameter was on the 30mm extensions, may have been 2 cm but can't guarentee.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well here are some pictures of the project.
a picture of the pivot with bold.
and from the sssa with bearings and engine.
i need a way to stabilize the sssa to the frame or the engine.
monster s4r has the same set up, and uses the footrest parts. i need to know if that would fit on my project to, since i'm using a different sssa.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
DanrDuc,

I think I'm a happy camper check if I understand you. S2r SSSA on a 900ss engine if I don't use the S2r rear sets then I can use my swing arm pivot axle from the Supersport for mounting sssa to the engine?:confused:

I'm sure I can answer my self thru trial and error fitting when the parts I have get hear but trying to map it all out ahead of time :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts