Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was taking the twisty backroad to work this am and as I'm going around a particularly tight downhill curve..... *tink tink tink tink* I hear somthing metal hit the ground. I pull over, look behind me and see the gold backing plate for the left arm of my swing arm laying in the middle of the road.... What the ****? After retrieving the now scraped/gouged aluminium plate I look at my bike. The left hand (Chain side) swingarm arm is destroyed. the left wall of the left swingarm is sheared apart. The wheel axel is still solid and the chain is intact and the rear wheel seems straight. I have no clue how this happened. Ill post pics tonight if I can. I replaced the chain and sprockets back in april and haven't ridden much until the past 2 weeks. Could I have over torqued the axel.....

Now I need a new swingarm, Ive found several on Ebay, will any year ST fit? st2, st3, st4? I have and 02 ST4s. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Most likely, you didn't re-torque the chain tensioner bolts AFTER you tightened the axle.
If you don't torque up those 2 bolts, they may vibrate loose, the plate starts to rotate, and it starts catching on whatever is close.

Seen it happen on a ST2 years back, but the ST2, ST4 ST3 SArms are steel, so they'll take more abuse. ST4s is aluminum. They'll all interchange, but you're best to stay with the aluminum. Plus the steel versions take unique tensioner plates/hardware... So if you do go steel, try to make sure it comes with all that stuff.

·
Still needs a life.
12,616 Posts
I also vote for loose plates working their way out and tearing things up.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
got a pic of the damage?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies, loose plates make complete sense now. Im positive thats what happened. Luckily I upgraded my sproket to a steel one otherwise I fear I may have had much more damage. So now to track down a good aluminium SA. FlEaBay Here I come. Here are some pics of the damage.

·
7,733 Posts
The adjuster bolt backed out, the adjuster spun into the sprocket and got ripped out of the SA. After I tension the chain, and snug down the adjuster bolts, I mark the bolts and axle nuts with a dab of paint to check them pre-ride for loseness. It's a bummer but could have been worse. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I promise ill never make that mistake again. But it certainly could have been much worse.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I have heard of this happening before, so I bought the Desmotimes plates & have not had any issues. I always wanted to safety wire them to be sure, but I have never gotten around to it.
Because you have 4S, your swing arm is aluminium, the other ST models are steel, they are interchangeable, but I think the aluminium arm is lighter, also some Monsters use the same swing arm.

If it was mine, I would get it repaired, or you can sell it to me :D

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I agree, worth a try to fix it (as a spare at least). The hang up would be anodizing (cost and if the welded area matches closely).

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
sadness

Attachments

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
happiness. look closely and you can see the repaired area.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
What a beautiful job! :)

I agree. But, to clarify, that is not my swingarm nor did I make the repair (though I believe I could).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it was mine, I would get it repaired, or you can sell it to me :D

Craig

I would be happy to sell you the fubared swingarm once I get it off and the new one on.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I enjoy safety wiring bits, but the easier, though slightly more unsightly, method is to thread a ziptie through the swingarm and over the adjuster plate.

For adjustment, I took the axle carriers out of the swing arm and turned the bolts fully in, cut small marks in the same flat on each side. This way, I can accurately track how far each side is moved. Of course, I always back it up with a quick measurement. Here's the easy part with the marked bolts, I simple give them one half turn to torque them. This way, I can monitor their position and easily align the axle.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Why not say F to the bolts and loctite in studs an use Nylock nuts like most other bikes?
My bike came with LT's side plates and thicker end caps i used a dap of silicone on the heads before my 2000 mile trip.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts