Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started reassembling my 2000 Monster and while sliding the shaft through the swing arm, through the engine case, it stops before going through the swing arm on the other side.

My first assumption is that the swing arm isn’t aligned properly so the shaft will slide through. That makes the most sense, but before I drive myself nuts, I’m wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Is there a right way and a wrong way to install the swing arm shaft? I assume that you can put it in on either side of the swing arm.

Please let me know if you think I’m doing this wrong.

Thanks

share picture

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
There are often thick spacers as well as .1 and .2mm shims.

The swingarm pin is not aligned most likely but if you need it shimmed it is best it happened so you now know to shim the swingarm.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
fit the rear wheel and torque the axle before shimming. it can make a difference. get a few spare thin shims (0.2mm is all you can get now i think) and make it nice and tight.

i made a nice tapered lining up tool a while ago to align the shims and allow the axle to push the tool out. makes the job sooooooooooooooo much easier. way less cussing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s good to hear that I’m not the only one having difficulty aligning up the swing arm.

thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that I know that I need washers and shims; either there weren’t any on the shaft when I took it apart (I’m really good as saving every nut and build in a labeled glad bag) or I lost them which is possible.

Does anyone have a spare set???

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Now that I know that I need washers and shims; either there weren’t any on the shaft when I took it apart (I’m really good as saving every nut and build in a labeled glad bag) or I lost them which is possible.

Does anyone have a spare set???
You're either "really good at saving every nut and build in a labeled glad bag" ..... or ..... you lost them. You cannot be really good at something you failed at.

(I'm just messing with you .... :) )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts