Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last part of the rebuild of my 2000 Monster 750, is the swing arm.

Can someone help me with the order of assembly?

Swing arm attached to the engine and frame then once attached add the shock?

Shock attached to the swing arm then attach the entire assembly?

I forget the order I removed it so I’m looking for help?

Does he shock go on last or first?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Doesn’t matter all that much does it? So long as the swing arm is properly shimmed, how you put the rest back on isn’t material.

You should probably install the hoop and rocker linkage first, followed by the shock to hold the whole assembly to the frame. Then mount the shock so you can lift the rear up with a swing arm stand.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I asked is because I put the shock in first and I’m trying to get the hoop attached to the linkage and it’s kicking my ass.

I think I remove the shock, attach the hoop and the swing arm then install the shock last it would be easier.

Are there any tricks or advice on the shims?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I just followed the procedure outlined in the shop manual. I fit my swing arm by itself.

The only things I did, that you might consider is I put the axle in and ran the nuts down finger tight.

Then I set a jack stand under the axle so that I wasn't fighting with it and the shims at the same time. Once the pivot pin is in on one side, it won't tilt off the jack stand.

I set the base shims and then checked for end float. I wound up adding 2 .010 shims to the right side to eliminate end float to below .010. I think (I don't remember exactly) I ended up with somewhere around .005 or .006

Once one side is in, it's much easier to fit the side opposite. The jack stand in the middle of the axle allows for the swing arm to tilt a bit.

I started on the sprocket side, so when the right side was a bit off, I was able to tilt the swing arm a tiny bit to get the alignment right.

Then it's just tap the pivot pin through with a dead blow mallet. Doing it that way allowed me to do this by myself as I was able to hold the swing arm and shims in place with one hand, and tap the pivot pin with the other.

Don't try to force the shims though. They'll slit your fingers open like a razor blade, or bend or both.

That's about it really.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just followed the procedure outlined in the shop manual. I fit my swing arm by itself.

The only things I did, that you might consider is I put the axle in and ran the nuts down finger tight.

Then I set a jack stand under the axle so that I wasn't fighting with it and the shims at the same time. Once the pivot pin is in on one side, it won't tilt off the jack stand.

I set the base shims and then checked for end float. I wound up adding 2 .010 shims to the right side to eliminate end float to below .010. I think (I don't remember exactly) I ended up with somewhere around .005 or .006

Once one side is in, it's much easier to fit the side opposite. The jack stand in the middle of the axle allows for the swing arm to tilt a bit.

I started on the sprocket side, so when the right side was a bit off, I was able to tilt the swing arm a tiny bit to get the alignment right.

Then it's just tap the pivot pin through with a dead blow mallet. Doing it that way allowed me to do this by myself as I was able to hold the swing arm and shims in place with one hand, and tap the pivot pin with the other.

Don't try to force the shims though. They'll slit your fingers open like a razor blade, or bend or both.

That's about it really.
I REALLY appreciate the instruction.

I’ll let you know how I do.

Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts