Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've decided to say F*CK it and buy myself this 02' 748s in Matte Gray. Been wanting a Tamburini super-bike my entire life and found one that looks clean as. 7100 miles, been sitting since last June or so. Prior to that it had it's 6K service in 06' and pretty much stopped being ridden in 07'. Each year since then it's gotten yearly flush, fuel stabalizer, oil...but not ridden much. And it's lived it's entire life inside out in the desert southwest so no worries about rust...just "grit" ;-)

02's have the strange head/header so the aftermarket exhaust is a welcome addition. It's probably hard to find them for the 02 748 perhaps? Also thinking the Ohlins rear is not standard, can't find a 02 748s photo with one. But these "Final Year" bikes are sometimes wonky...who knows, I'm glad it has one. Otherwise, pretty stock, mirrors in a box, "evelozone" rear signal integrated with the brake lights. Someone kinda loved it enough to not screw it up to bad, but then gave up riding I guess.

I love this paint job, so much in fact I painted my first monster just like it...excited to own this.

It'll head in for a full service directly, belts, flush, hoses and I'll just pray the rockers are ok, but I'm mentally prepared. As of the 6K the rockers were supposedly fine, and not much has happened since then. Wish her luck in her diagnosis oh great Ducati Cabal.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congratulations! Great looking bike. Worst case scenario, you swap a few rockers. Not the end of the world, and EMS rockers will not fail so it's a one time thing for each rocker replacement.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Beautiful! Congratulations. You can look forward to months or years of finding ingenious design touches.
BTW - Standard bar end plugs are neat and cost pennies from Ducati.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an 02 and have never noticed a difference. Guess I need to do some research!
Yes, in order to fit the "998" bodywork it has the TestaBessa? engine :)

Here is a good thread about it, some late model 01's have it as well. It will use a different belt than the rest of the 748's

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/430217-differences-timing-belts-748s.html

And then as I further understand it, from a thread I can't find from a guy trying to install an Arrow 1/2 system to his 02' 748 and the mid pipe is different with a double step, the headers are different as well to some degree at least...potentially..........maybe......I think?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a few more pics.....clean face. The problem with these pretty, but annoyingly fragile, paint jobs is you can't buff out anything or else you get a shiny spot :)

On my old Monster I gave up and just said fuck it, and gave it a wax and it went from ultra matte, to semi gloss but was MUCH easier to maintain.

Cannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt.....................wait.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts