Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to begin the process of swapping my stock cast wheels to forged Marchesinis and wanted to ask a few questions before I start.

1. Do the rotor carriers come from the factory with red locktite or something similiar? What is the suggested method of removing? Will it require heat? I am assuming a quality allen socket and a decent breaker bar should do the trick.

2. The rims I bought have a bit of red locktite residue left on the threads from previous owner. What is the recommended way of removing the red "crust"? I have seen acetone mentioned.

3. When installing the rotors to the new wheels, should I use red or blue locktite? I will be marking each side and direction to make sure to assemble them in the same orientation as they came off.

I have done some research but keep finding conflicting answers.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I've done this twice and this is what I did:

1) Heat the bolts w/ a heat gun
2) Give the bolts a few hits with an impact driver (Tip: don't use a rubber mallet, use a hammer...WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!)
3) Remove bolts w/ impact wrench (electric rattle gun)
4) Get new bolts
5) Install rotors w/ the new bolts w/ a torque wrench utilizing a star tightening pattern.

I used blue locktite (243) and green locktite (290). Do not use red. Red is not meant to be removed. Green is stronger than blue, but can be removed w/ heat.

HTH

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done this twice and this is what I did:

1) Heat the bolts w/ a heat gun
2) Give the bolts a few hits with an impact driver (Tip: don't use a rubber mallet, use a hammer...WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!)
3) Remove bolts w/ impact wrench (electric rattle gun)
4) Get new bolts
5) Install rotors w/ the new bolts w/ a torque wrench utilizing a star tightening pattern.

I used blue locktite (243) and green locktite (290). Do not use red. Red is not meant to be removed. Green is stronger than blue, but can be removed w/ heat.

HTH
Awesome man, thank you! I didnt think about not being able to reuse the factory bolts, I will go ahead and get some new ones ordered.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe I was lucky but I didn't use any heat and simply unscrewed them, cleaned out the threads by screwing the bolts in and out a couple of times with the rotor removed and cleaned the bolt threads using a wire brush.

I used the same bolts with a dab of red Loctite to reinstall in a star pattern and torqued up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts