Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been abroad and haven't touched my tires for 5 months, should I swap them out? They are pretty used up, about 1000+ street miles and 2 A pace trackdays on them (rossos).

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
If they're "worn out" yes. Based upon your time line, no. Tires are good for at least 2 years once mounted IIRC.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didnt know about that 2 years fact, can anyone else chime in on that?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If your tread depth is fine, then you should be fine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you're not sure, just get new ones. I mean, is it worth it to spend money on bodywork and other parts just to save a few bucks on tires?

For what it's worth, I would consider my tires pretty shagged after two trackdays, no matter how much tread is left on them. I guess it depends on how you ride, but if that's you in your avatar and you are doing decent laptimes in the A group then I would consider new ones if I were you. Tires are not a place to look when trying to find places to save money.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Depends on what tires they are. My pilot power race's that I bought for my 848 lasted only 1000 miles after a track day. Its very hard to tell if a tire is good on the street because most of the time, other situations cause the bike to slip which would be an indicator of bad tires.

My rule of thumb is quite simple; once the tires have been squared off from all the highway riding, I buy a new set. I also take into account age and tread wear. There is a point where the tires are just not safe to ride on because of the flat spotting.

In your particular case, my generic answer would be; Keep riding it until you know the performance of the bike is being hindered from the tires or they're REALLY old (5000 miles/2 years)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
If you don't feel comfortable with them: replace them. Personally, I have no issues running older tires and running them bald or to the cords, but that's me and what I feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Let me amend my prior statement...they should be fine for street use. I would have to inspect them personally before deciding whether or not to run another track day on them.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I would have to inspect them personally before deciding whether or not to run another track day on them.
If they aren't good enough, we'd hope that Tech Inspection wouldn't allow them on the track.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Depends on the track. Some are really anal about tech inspection (nothing wrong with that), others will only verify you have tread remaining (if applicable).

·
Registered
729 Posts
Think about it - would'nt you want the best insurance against a crash, especially on a track day where a good vs marginal tires might save your ass from a stupid mistake. If YOU think your tires might be marginal, new tires are really cheap insurance compared to injury or the cost of repair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts