Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm seeking some feedback on a swap opportunity that has arisen. As I wrote before on the forum, I picked up a black 2005 ST3 (27,000km) which needed a Desmo service as a winter project. My plan was to simply sell the ST3 in the spring, but I'm having trouble unloading it.

I was contacted by someone who has a red 1999 ST4 (22,000 km) which needs a Desmo service, and they are willing to swap bikes (with cash to me to balance value).

I really enjoyed a trip on the ST3, and am wondering how people would compare it to the 916 powered ST4.

Both bikes are in good condition, but my ST3 carries a rebuilt title from a PO dropping it - repaired now.

Assuming I can get beyongd the aesthetic differences, how would people compare these two rides?

As always, thanks.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive parking light

·
Registered
914 Posts
I can't speak to the engine differences, but with the '99 you'll step down to a pretty horrible headlamp and no ABS. The lines are all rubber, so you may want to replace with SS, which I believe your '05 has. It was a significant upgrade on my '99 ST2. Dry versus wet clutch?

From what I've read, the ST3 runs smoother and has more useable power, but I'm interested to hear from those here with actual experience.

Both are very nice looking bikes in the photos.

·
Flying Brit
1,829 Posts
I have a 98 ST2, 02 ST4S and a later ST3 - with a rebuilt title like yours, and by far the ST3 is way better bike overall. My plan is to just keep the ST3 and sell the others.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Are you planning to sell the ST4 once the swap is completed on the understanding it would easier to sell? If not, I would stick with the ST3 as other replies have outlined.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you planning to sell the ST4 once the swap is completed on the understanding it would easier to sell? If not, I would stick with the ST3 as other replies have outlined.
I was thinking of keeping it for a bit, but selling was my original goal. With that said if I enjoy the ST4 as much as the ST3, and can recover about 1/4 of my investment to date it may be a long term keeper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts