Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the SW Motech Evo Engage for a while now but it is not working as well as I had hoped for. The mechanism that locks it to the tank ring keeps hanging up. Its challenging to release it in the front and its almost impossible to get it seated right once I want to put it back. Has anybody else experienced the same thing and maybe found a solution? I'm seriously considering a different one but not sure which way to go if that's the route

·
North Carolina, USA
3,292 Posts
Wonder if you can swap out your evo ring mount for one of the older style rings? I have an older SW motech City bag on my '12 and it's a breeze to get the bag off and on. I'd think that any SW quick release ring gizmo should be able to be attached to any of their bags. (maybe)

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've been using the SW Motech Evo Engage for a while now but it is not working as well as I had hoped for. The mechanism that locks it to the tank ring keeps hanging up. Its challenging to release it in the front and its almost impossible to get it seated right once I want to put it back. Has anybody else experienced the same thing and maybe found a solution? I'm seriously considering a different one but not sure which way to go if that's the route
Do you have the right ring?! For the Multistrada you need some spacers under them.

1200S DVT 2016

·
Registered
665 Posts
Do you have the right ring?! For the Multistrada you need some spacers under them.

1200S DVT 2016
I had the same problems. My dealer told everything was fine until I found out the wrong ring was supplied. So look for the right ring And your problems will be solved

1200S DVT 2016

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've lubricated as much as I have access to but no change really.

I did not know about the spacers, my ring didn't come with any. Did you receive those from where you bought the ring & tankbag?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
The spacers make all of the difference in the world. I installed mine without the included spacers in an attempt to get the bag to sit closer to the tank, but it was difficult to disengage and re-attach. Once I put the spacers back in, removing the bag is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The spacers make all of the difference in the world. I installed mine without the included spacers in an attempt to get the bag to sit closer to the tank, but it was difficult to disengage and re-attach. Once I put the spacers back in, removing the bag is no longer an issue.

I do not believe my ring had spacers included but I’ll double check. If I can’t find anything I’ll contact who I bought it from and see if it’s something they can supply me with. I did already contact them and was explained that if the bolts are tightened too much it’ll hang up so I loosened them but no change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
665 Posts
I do not believe my ring had spacers included but I’ll double check. If I can’t find anything I’ll contact who I bought it from and see if it’s something they can supply me with. I did already contact them and was explained that if the bolts are tightened too much it’ll hang up so I loosened them but no change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ring should have spacers included. You have the wrong ring, my dealer made the same mistake. You've got to order the ring for ducati Multistrada. The regular won't fit

·
Registered
384 Posts
My SW Motech Daypack bag flew off of my Multi yesterday as I was exiting an onramp. It completely flew off, and I caught it mid-air by the handle like some kind of superdude. Boy that sucked. I need to get these spacers too, it's a bitch sometimes to get on and off.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice catch :)
I've been in communication with them and was told there are actually spacers so I'll be ordering them as soon as I get back from a longer trip. Hopefully that'll really solve the issue!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had one of these on a BMW R1200GS that I took to Alaska after first buying the bike in Florida. The trip from Florida to Washington State went off without a hitch and I really grew to admire that bag. Perfect size and so easy to remove.

But the trip to Alaska saw a bunch of rain and twice I could not get the locking mechanism to release. I had to disassemble the bag to get it off the tank to fuel the bike. I have pretty good finger/grip strength and I still just about took my finger tip off trying to get the bag off before disassembly. And rest assured, doing this in the rain in 40 degree weather was frustrating to say the least. Once disassembled I could find nothing wrong with the mechanism and there was no visible dirt to cause a hangup. Dry graphite spray did no good either.

The bag has been sold and I now use a different one.

Ditch the thing. The cool factor isn't worth the hassle. OTOH, if you can get it to release reliably, please let me know what you did as I like that bag when it works.

NC

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I have one on my 2011 MTS 1200 that has worked flawlessly for over 4 years. As mentioned in previous posts you have to use the spacers on the MTS in order for the release mechanism to work properly. If/when this bag wears out I’ll be purchasing another just like it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
After reading this thread I checked my Multi to see if i had installed the spacers because I too was having issues. The spacers are in place so that's not my issue. I decided today was a good day to sort this out once and for all. I removed the mounting plate from the bag and took it apart - there are 5 screws with hex heads. First thing you will notice is the wire you pull to release the bag makes 3 turns down a plastic 'tunnel' you are pulling against the plastic tunnel when you yank on the wire - not a great design- causes friction and loss of leverage. The wire is connected to a plastic turntable that moves two spring loaded plates that control the locking tabs. I lubed the plastic turntable 'axle' there isn't much else to lube - its all plastic on plastic. Then I decided to latch and unlatch the mounting plate sans bag to understand how it latches and unlatches. It is hard to tell when the mounting plate is latched properly and when it is not. There is no positive 'click'. The only way to know is to pull up on the plate. I could not see any opportunity to improve the process by lubrication, spacers, etc. With the bag on you get even less feedback and the release tab is in an awkward place to get leverage to pull on it. What I am saying - it's the design and I don't see any way to make it better. I love the bag but I struggle getting it off and it take 2 or 3 attempts to lock it in place. Envious of those that have a more operational unit! I'd like to see someone's 'working' version.

·
Registered
512 Posts
After reading this thread I checked my Multi to see if i had installed the spacers because I too was having issues. The spacers are in place so that's not my issue. I decided today was a good day to sort this out once and for all. I removed the mounting plate from the bag and took it apart - there are 5 screws with hex heads. First thing you will notice is the wire you pull to release the bag makes 3 turns down a plastic 'tunnel' you are pulling against the plastic tunnel when you yank on the wire - not a great design- causes friction and loss of leverage. The wire is connected to a plastic turntable that moves two spring loaded plates that control the locking tabs. I lubed the plastic turntable 'axle' there isn't much else to lube - its all plastic on plastic. Then I decided to latch and unlatch the mounting plate sans bag to understand how it latches and unlatches. It is hard to tell when the mounting plate is latched properly and when it is not. There is no positive 'click'. The only way to know is to pull up on the plate. I could not see any opportunity to improve the process by lubrication, spacers, etc. With the bag on you get even less feedback and the release tab is in an awkward place to get leverage to pull on it. What I am saying - it's the design and I don't see any way to make it better. I love the bag but I struggle getting it off and it take 2 or 3 attempts to lock it in place. Envious of those that have a more operational unit! I'd like to see someone's 'working' version.
Mine clicks right on. I'll try to get someone to video me putting it on and off. And of the mechanism.

You didn't get the mount screws in the way somehow did you? I forget how they go but remember I had to install them through the bag.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No nothing is in the way. As I said I removed the bag and am just playing around with the mounting plate itself. I will try to take some photos and video. Wondering if there are some bad units that have too much friction but I can't see anything outwardly wrong.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the spacers have been ordered but since its a special order part it'll take a few weeks to arrive. As soon as they do and I install them I'll report back about my findings. Based on the comments I guess I'm not the only one having problems, seems like a more widespread issue where the spacers might or might not work. Now I'm REALLY curious to find out how it'll work after

1 - 20 of 20 Posts