Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just fitted a set of the above.
SW recommend a torque of 46nm for the M10 bolts which seems a little low to me (they fix the subframe to the tubular frame and replace the original bolts).
What's the Ducati torque figures for those bolts?

·
Registered
805 Posts
from memory the bolts are a smaller diameter than the originals. Also they now pass through the crashbar base as well as the frame, (with spacers between the base and the frame).

Could these be the reason for the difference ?

Cheers,
Wit C.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's bolts 7 and 18 in the picture. The Ducati "special" bolts are replaced with Allen bolts.
I'm going to e-mail SW Motech now...

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think that's wise.

Wit.......the end result will be that the alloy frame panels to steel trellis frame 'interface' (couldn't think of a better description!) would not be as tight as specified by Ducati / as it was designed to be. The spec of the additional parts and replacement fixings should be spec'd to be tightened to the OE settings imho (but I'm no engineer!;-)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thanks Andy. I wonder if the drop in Nm is due to smaller diam boltss. Perhaps SWmotech need to make the baseplate bigger and supply larger diam bolts to match the original torque spec?

Ahh.. but then the spacers would not have enough meat on them to transfer the force back to the frame?.. wow... this is quite tricky...

Cheers anyway :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I had a very brief e-mail back from them last night typed by Claire. Claire obviously hadn't read my original mail.
This is what she wrote;
I will pass this onto the relevant team in Germany for them to look into.

They will look at sales history (which is high) and if there have been no problems with fitments in the past they will not change the design.
I've replied saying that there is nothing wrong with the product but suggested that SW may want to get someone to check their torque fgures.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a set of SW Motech crash bars. I've schedule an appointment to have them installed due to the Ducati "Special" screws. I selected the SW Motech over the Touratec crash bars because they came in black. The Touratec units do not use the same attachment points and avoid the "Special" screws. Does anyone have information on the Touratec units, would they have been a better choice?

·
Registered
667 Posts
So I had a very brief e-mail back from them last night typed by Claire. Claire obviously hadn't read my original mail.
This is what she wrote;

I've replied saying that there is nothing wrong with the product but suggested that SW may want to get someone to check their torque fgures.
.....did they respond?

k7ugt - maybe you can point out the apparent error in SW Motech's instructions to your Dealer and ask what their take on the torque settings for the replacement fixings is ;-)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a set of SW Motech crash bars. I've schedule an appointment to have them installed due to the Ducati "Special" screws. I selected the SW Motech over the Touratec crash bars because they came in black. The Touratec units do not use the same attachment points and avoid the "Special" screws. Does anyone have information on the Touratec units, would they have been a better choice?
What special screws? If you're referring to the two large looking ones then the Motech bars come with the large key to remove them. They're only large headed bolts anyway.
Fitting took all of 20 minutes, it's an easy DIY job.

Motech never responded :-(

·
Registered
199 Posts
What special screws? If you're referring to the two large looking ones then the Motech bars come with the large key to remove them. They're only large headed bolts anyway.
Fitting took all of 20 minutes, it's an easy DIY job.

Motech never responded :-(
Same here. Easy job even for me

·
Registered
60 Posts
You guys are right, pilot error on my part. Actually I was surprised that I couldn't find the appropriate tool with the parts. It was there, I just repeatedly overlooked it. Anyway the dealer put them on for 49 bucks. He also pointed out my rear brake problem and corrected? it while it was in the shop. So I guess in the long run it worked out best for me. Next time I'll take better advantage of the forum. BTW I didn't ask about the torque sorry and Thanks everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts