Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed one of these luggage racks on my 2014 Monster 1200 yesterday.
Seems like a solid piece of kit and install was not too bad, although as usual the instructions were not very clear.

It has 2 support arms that bolt to the bike. Ducati kindly provided 4 threaded mounting points under the seat. You have to remove rear turn signals but leave the wires plugged in, remove grab handles, and the plastic undertray. Then you screw in 4 bolts stubs with pointy ends, and reinstall the undertray, push on it to mark where you will drill holes in the tray. Then you remove it and drill. I suggest you only screw those in as far as the need to go to stay put. I had a hard time getting good marks on the tray, ended up with the holes a little off the mark, and took a dremel to it after re installing it to enlarge the holes a bit.

Each support arm bolts to 2 of the holes and there is a spacer to hold it below the bike a little. Almost everything is black, the spacers are silver. Why? It was not clear to me the rear of the 2 bolts holding the grab handles was to be replaced by one of theirs, silver again! I redid that bit of work, re use the original nut.

The only other issue I had was I bolted the support arms up tight then tried to install the rack. The rack was a good inch too wide to bolt up. Huh?
Loosen the 6 bolts on the arms, attach the rack, then go around and tighten this corner, opposite corner, etc. It all bolted up nice finally and looks good. It must be under a fair amount of tension but I guess is OK. Attached a small Givi top case, and now I have a trunk for my junk. :grin2:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-alu-rack-top-case-rack

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
I will concur on everything mentioned above... The rack install is not traditional, but worked really well, and feels really solid. I’m running a larger top box, but that’s based on my experience of riding across country in 2012 on my 1100evo. People would ask “why a monster, why not a multistrada”... honestly, the monster makes me grin constantly, cant say the same when I rode the Multi. The multi just felt too refined for me. In the end, I call it my Monster-Strada :)

Current: ‘15 Monster 1200, ‘16 Scrambler Icon
Sold: ‘14 Diavel Strada, ‘12 Monster 1100evo, ‘09 Monster 1100, ‘08 NM Hypermotard #7

·
Registered
110 Posts
Out in the middle of the Mojave on Route 66. I was cruising along, saw it in the corner of my eye as I passed, and knew I had to flip a U-turn and grab a pic. I had just seen Moto GP at Laguna a week before, was on my way to Indy to catch the next race, and figured this must be a good omen for my trip across country!

Current: ‘15 Monster 1200, ‘16 Scrambler Icon
Sold: ‘14 Diavel Strada, ‘12 Monster 1100evo, ‘09 Monster 1100, ‘08 NM Hypermotard #7

1 - 4 of 4 Posts