Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where can I get Ohlins shocks for the GT? What is the best front end fix short of swapping out forks? I am just plain wore out looking through links for other bikes. Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
well it isnt Ohlins, but I went to Lindeman Engineering for my solution. they took my stock stuff and did some magic... $800 (+/-) later and i have a whole new bike. one caution though, get your stuff to them early or it will take a little while, they get really busy with their racing clients etc.

depsite the wait this was by far the best bang for your buck solution i found. they were even able to mod the unserviceable cartriges in our forks.
give them a call, talk with Jim.
http://www.le-suspension.com/

·
Registered
702 Posts
Jered from Moto Corsa can hook you up with Ohlins for the back. For front, plenty (but not cheap) used adjustable Showas, in my case tuned, anodized and TINed by Lindemann. Add a steering damper, and you have a new bike.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Where can I get Ohlins shocks for the GT? What is the best front end fix short of swapping out forks? I am just plain wore out looking through links for other bikes. Thanks!
Depends a bit on your cash cow… Hyperpro Springs and oil + YSS shocks should do it for a cheap solution…

If you want more then Showas + YSS…

Ohins would be the most expensive solution for the rear, if you buy the fully adjustable version

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Depends a bit on your cash cow… Hyperpro Springs and oil + YSS shocks should do it for a cheap solution…

If you want more then Showas + YSS…

Ohins would be the most expensive solution for the rear, if you buy the fully adjustable version
I've got Hagons on back and they seem OK but the front just doesn't feel good on dampning. I was told the previous owner put progressive springs in the front end so maybe between the two it's as good as it gets. Never having rode the bike with stock suspension, I guess I may just not how bad it used to be and should accept it. Also having a 675 I guess I get used to things working very well.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I've got Showas with ohlins cartridge kit forks and Ohlins rear shocks and I can tell you with this setup this bike handles very well indeed.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a cool set up. I was thinking about maybe putting a grand into it, but I think I'd be throwing money away. It runs and handles pretty good, way better than my Bonneville did. I got some info from the folks at Hagon concerning their shock set up and springs, so I'll probably give it a whirl for set up. I rode a couple of Sport Classics with stock suspension and they did feel about the same up front. If I can pull it down and rebuild the front end, at least I'll know what I have up there and make any adjustments I need.

·
Registered
188 Posts
+1 showa adjustable front.

here you can get them new for a very good price. even a nonadjustable showa would be an advance from stock http://www.imteq.com/giovanni/E_grp_15-5.html
at ebay second hand is also easy to find and even cheaper.

prefer an adjustable solution you can setup without opening it.

I'll go for yss for the back, but after some time, cause I'm fitting 5-spokes&pads and have to space the mods.

good luck

·
Registered
985 Posts
Brookise,

Have you replaced the original steel wheels? I think this needs to be step #1 in any suspension upgrade. I replaced mine, saving about 8 lbs in unsprung weight. Thought I'd then ride the bike for awhile to see if suspension compliance was any better. That was last year. I'm still riding the stock suspension as the ride is much improved. It went from harsh to firm, which I like. Compliance is also much improved.

These improvements came with the new wheels, at no additional charge! Don't know, though, how much of the improvement is due to the wheels, and how much just because the suspension has loosened up with the miles I've put on the bike.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Brookise,

Have you replaced the original steel wheels? I think this needs to be step #1 in any suspension upgrade.
Agreed. My ride is probably 80% improved before I put on the Ohlins shocks (next week). The lighter wheels contributed maybe a fourth of the improvement, the damper another fifth and the rest are the new forks. Once the rear is replaced, I'll tune the entire system and report back, but from others I had talked to, at that point it should be 150-200% better. It also depends on the type of riding you do, obviously. Most of my riding is spirited back-roads, twists and turns, not in the best shape (PA/NJ).

·
Registered
30 Posts
300bucks

I know this is not as sexy as new Ohlins, but I spent a few hours and 300 bucks with Eric at Clubhouse Motorsports in Moultonborough NH and I have a completely different bike. Eric installed a set of racetec springs with new oil. He also dialed in the rear suspension based on my weight and verbal feedback. The result is confidence inspiring.:)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know this is not as sexy as new Ohlins, but I spent a few hours and 300 bucks with Eric at Clubhouse Motorsports in Moultonborough NH and I have a completely different bike. Eric installed a set of racetec springs with new oil. He also dialed in the rear suspension based on my weight and verbal feedback. The result is confidence inspiring.:)
Yeah, that is exactly what I need around here. Anybody in the Chicago area who does this type of work? I had the suspension dialed in on my 675 and have never had to tweak it since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well it isnt Ohlins, but I went to Lindeman Engineering for my solution. they took my stock stuff and did some magic... $800 (+/-) later and i have a whole new bike. one caution though, get your stuff to them early or it will take a little while, they get really busy with their racing clients etc.

depsite the wait this was by far the best bang for your buck solution i found. they were even able to mod the unserviceable cartriges in our forks.
give them a call, talk with Jim.
http://www.le-suspension.com/
+1 for LE.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts