Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock stuff is aged on my bike and at the very least needs to be rebuilt.
Figured at that time it would be worth it to think about upgrades.

Is the Ohlins rear shock worth it? If so, what one. Seems there are a few options.
Is there an Ohlins valve kit for the front?

What have some of you done?

I have never had a sports bike set up with proper suspension, so this will all be a first.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
I have an S4RS, so the factory Ohlins front and rear. People a lot more qualified than me say they’re very good. Though I’ve had my bike for a couple of years, it’s still not dialed in to my satisfaction. As much as I’ve played around with settings, it still seems not very compliant, unnecessarily stiff. Even if they aren’t top of the line Ohlins, they’re still Ohlins. There are other rear shocks with good reputations too, so you have options back there. Front, it just depends how much you want to spend. What forks are on the bike ? If they’re adjustable, you can upgrade the internals. If money is no object, I’d go Ohlins. You could send your stock forks to a pro and probably be really happy with the results. Even if you just put straight rate springs of the correct weight for you, and new fluid and seals will make a difference.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is 100% stock right now.
Not really looking to swap the whole forks. Just rebuild them with better internals.

Still not sure what rear shock to run yet.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
I just remembered: last time I was checking eBay there were quite a few Ducati rear shocks at reasonable prices. If someone can tell you which ones will fit your model you might find a cheap upgrade.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just remembered: last time I was checking eBay there were quite a few Ducati rear shocks at reasonable prices. If someone can tell you which ones will fit your model you might find a cheap upgrade.
I believe the 919 and 749 shocks should be a direct swap. I put a Multistrada shock on my S2R which is also a direct bolt in but it's shorter than the stock shock so I had to raise the rear to compensate (and make room for the external canister although I think the S4 shock has one). Whether any of those are better than the stock S4 shock, I don't know.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do like the idea of using OEM take off parts.
Will have to look into what shocks could work, and what it would cost to rebuild the stock on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts