Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking it would be interesting to see what suspension settings people are running, along with a little info about their typical riding.

The stock settings (according to the manual) are:
(Streetfighter S)
Front - compression: 8
Front - rebound: 10
Rear - compression: 10
Rear - rebound: 10

My settings for my S are:
Front - compression: 14
Front - rebound: 6
Rear - compression: 15
Rear - rebound: 10

Most of my riding is on back roads, pretty tight, twisty stuff, with medium bumpy pavement.

The settings are what my local shop set it up at when I went in to get the sag etc. set.

So far I don't think it's perfect for me yet, but for the kind of riding I'm doing it's better. For track riding I'd expect to stiffen it up a bunch.

(As an aside, isn't that rear rebound a bitch to get to? I mean really...)

·
Registered
6 Posts
my personal settings on the SF S

Hi,

this is my personal suspension setup on my Streetfighter S for road use.
Since I did not feel very comfortable with the standard settings, I spent some time to find a more satisfying set up.
My weight with gear is 172 lbs. (no leathersuit)

The sag (bike & rider with gear & full fuel tank) is at the
front: 36mm rear: 32mm
Or in other words, I have turned the front suspension preload adjuster counterclockwise 2 3/4 turns. So now the preload is 5.25 mm instead of 8 mm.
The rear preload was ok.

Compression and rebound:

Front: Compression 7 clicks from fully closed (original 8)
Rebound 7 clicks from fully closed (original 10)

Rear: Compression 11 clicks from fully closed (original 10)
Rebound 12 clicks from fully closed (original 10)

With this setup, I have the feeling that front and rear works really uniform, and on braking, the front is less diving.

If you want to try this setup on your own bike, don't forget to adjust the sag in accordance with your weight. And of course, write every modification down, so you can easily go back from where you started.

Let me know if you felt comfortable with this set-up?

Have a nice day
Patrick

·
Registered
238 Posts
You guys still having success with these suspension settings?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys still having success with these suspension settings?
I ended up raising the rear ride height, but the suspension settings are still fine for the street.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I ended up raising the rear ride height, but the suspension settings are still fine for the street.
Moore why did you raise the height? I was thinking about doing the same too. How has it been for you since then? How much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moore why did you raise the height? I was thinking about doing the same too. How has it been for you since then? How much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking?
I raised the rear ride height because I felt the bike was a bit slow to turn in, and the change has definitely quickened the steering. Overall I like it a lot. As for weight, I'm probably about 220 lbs in my gear.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I raised the rear ride height because I felt the bike was a bit slow to turn in, and the change has definitely quickened the steering. Overall I like it a lot. As for weight, I'm probably about 220 lbs in my gear.
You didn't touch any other suspension settings at all before or after raising the height? How much did you raise it by?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You didn't touch any other suspension settings at all before or after raising the height? How much did you raise it by?
Well, I'd adjusted my suspension by the amount in my first post before doing anything to the ride height. I lived with that for a few months and then decided to raise the rear. It wasn't raised much, maybe 3-4mm. I wasn't looking for a dramatic change, just a bit quicker turning in.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
A while ago in an Italian Streetfighter site a fellow member posted the settings of a standard model and also an S model made by Vittoriano Guareschi, after trying the settings himself, he was soo impressed with the changes made after testing on the italian twisties that he called the settings elbow licking good. I've set mine up like this, for a starter point but I havn't had the chance to take the bike out to test. That gave me the opportunity to find out that the left fork's setting was complitely different from the right one right out of the factory. What a surprise!
Any way, here it is.
Standard model
FORKS
Extension: 10 clicks
Compression: 1/2 turn
Preload: 20 mm

MONO
Extension: Standard setting
Compression: 1.8 turns
Preload: Standard 20 mm
Wheelbase strut +5 mm from fully closed

S Model
FORKS
Extension +2 clicks -------------from standard setting
Compression: +2 clicks
Preload: +2 mm

MONO
Extension: Standard setting
Compression: +2 clicks ----------from standard setting
Preload: Standard setting
Wheelbase strut +5 mm from fully closed

That's all I've got!

·
Bon Vivant
10,926 Posts
Well, I'd adjusted my suspension by the amount in my first post before doing anything to the ride height. I lived with that for a few months and then decided to raise the rear. It wasn't raised much, maybe 3-4mm. I wasn't looking for a dramatic change, just a bit quicker turning in.
Another way to noticeably increase the quickness of the turn-in is to switch from a 190 rear tire to a 180.
(try the new Michelin pure they are two pounds lighter than 2cts and 4 pounds lighter than BT016's!!)

The bike will still have all the grip you can ask for but steering will be quicker and the bike will feel lighter and more nimble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts