Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone willing to give a primer on rear suspension set-up? :confused: I searched before posting this, but didn't see any discussion giving an overview of the various adjustments and the sequence for setting them.

When I bought my '05 ST3 (used), my local dealer told me he restored the factory presets. He said that this should be good for me, since he & I are about the same size (6', 200 lb).

It's always been OK, but as I've ridden the bike more, I've become more sensitive to handling subtleties, and I've starting to feel more moving around back/down there than I care for. So I would like to try some adjustments. But I don't know where to begin.

Can anyone give the basic approach for tuning an ST's rear suspension (SACHS unit, solo street riding, bags attached but usually empty)? Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
You will probably need to round up a few riding buddies to help with this but it will be well worth your time. I dug up an old thread that had lots of good information- so here you go.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=44377&highlight=sag

First step is to set the sag. You will be amazed how much better the bike will feel after you do this.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I bought the aftermarket ride height adjuster sold by SWATT (advertises on our forum).
Easy 30 minute installation. Hiked the back end up where I can just slide my fingers under the rear tire while the bike is on the center stand. Truly makes a world of difference. I rode for 20,000 miles with the OEM non-adjustable one. Now, turns are twice as easy and its not at all twitchy at high speeds. Get your ride height adjusted, and then go for the sag.

·
7,733 Posts
Is anyone willing to give a primer on rear suspension set-up? :confused: I searched before posting this, but didn't see any discussion giving an overview of the various adjustments and the sequence for setting them.

When I bought my '05 ST3 (used), my local dealer told me he restored the factory presets. He said that this should be good for me, since he & I are about the same size (6', 200 lb).

It's always been OK, but as I've ridden the bike more, I've become more sensitive to handling subtleties, and I've starting to feel more moving around back/down there than I care for. So I would like to try some adjustments. But I don't know where to begin.

Can anyone give the basic approach for tuning an ST's rear suspension (SACHS unit, solo street riding, bags attached but usually empty)? Many thanks!
If you have the stock Sachs, you're best bet is to get an upgrade, like a Penske or an Ohlins, and as mentioned add a ride height adjustable link arm if you go with the Ohlins. Not that the Sachs is all that bad, but setting the spring preload can be a real pita. You will also note that the instruction in the owners manual describing adjusters is backwards. Adjuster 1 "clicks", actually, a notchy feel, and adjuster 2 turns.

Once you have your "sag" set, you must use the spring pre-load to do this, ie pita, and there are numerous tutorials on the internet re setting sag frt and rr, then dial in your damping to preference. Good luck and have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
If you have the stock Sachs, you're best bet is to get an upgrade, like a Penske or an Ohlins, and as mentioned add a ride height adjustable link arm if you go with the Ohlins.
That is what I did, the Sachs dampening and compression adjustments really didn't do much. I found an adjustable ride height adjuster and got an Ohlins with the correct spring, plus the adjustable preload is nice. I am glad I made the switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts