Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made in Italy, tested on Ducati, fully adjustable, Mupo transforms a Hyperstrada or Hypermotard from OK to probably better than the SP set-up. Why? Well, this is the opinion of the track suspension shop that performed my installation. While he thinks the world of the racing line of Ohlins, he says the OE line has not fared so well over the years, becoming just better than average.

Anyway, I didn't care for the performance on my regular height Hyperstrada. But then, I always replace the suspension on every vehicle I own.

Now I have a Strada with a balanced and compliant suspension. Whether riding the rocky dirt Forest Service roads or the somewhat paved twisty backroads or the well paved sweeper highways, the Mupo keep the tires connected and make both slow speed or high speed bumps from changing my desired line or sending shocks up to me.

http://mupo.it/products-bike/6/602/ducati/hypermotard-821939-1316

Mupo cartridges were installed in both forks, which required some modification of the left fork to accept a cartridge. Mupo offers a single replacement cartridge for the right side, which offers about 70% the performance of going with both.

In order for a balanced suspension it was important to also use the Mupo shock. I chose the AB-1 shock because it offers both high and low speed adjustment.

$2,655 for everything including installation on my bike, correct springs for my weight and riding, and any follow-up adjustments.

On Road Off Road Cycles Suspension Page

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you for the pictures, prices and information. I've got the base 2015 hyper but I'm a bit hesitant to pay that much on the suspension but I'm sure it is worth it. So far I feel pretty good with the stock suspension for street riding. I'm 190 lbs (without gear).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On regular roads the OE suspension is OK.

It's when you get on my favorite kind of backroads that a significant improvement is needed to keep the desired line and tires well connected to the road surface.

Roads like these with often poor surfaces.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Mupos transformed how the bike transits rocky Forest Service roads (this was the smooth part).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Note that the Mupo selection is the same for the 821 and 939 Hypers. The difference being whether yours is short or normal ride height.

In reality, it is easier to get a Hypermotard and upgrade the suspension than to get a SP, with the nose bleed seat height, and lower it.

Whether one gets the short seat height Hyperstrada is a matter of inseam.

With a 34" inseam, the normal height Hypermotard seat height is perfect. The Mupo doesn't settle as much as the OE suspension, offering a rolling ground clearance much better than before. Something that helps cornering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about it and I think this is the way I want to go. I've reached out to Albert about doing the same for me. My only wish is for bigger diameter forks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about it and I think this is the way I want to go. I've reached out to Albert about doing the same for me. My only wish is for bigger diameter forks.
The cartridges do the work, the forks prevent flex. Lightweight bike. Look at the fork diameter of the MX bikes that take a whole lot more abuse than the Hyper on bad roads. With the proper cartridges, the forks function perfect. No need to spend additional money for no additional performance.

The KTM 450 SX has 48mm forks, the Hyper has 43mm forks. I just don't see the 5mm as having enough of a difference to matter. Especially considering the performance being the goal.

If I resume multi-day loops with luggage, I will add this preload adjuster.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, for most the OE suspension is fine. Commuting, riding around town, etc... For others, where the rider is a bigger guy, like me, or there is an expectation of higher suspension performance, like me, based on decades of riding with high performance suspension, like me too, this upgrade is worthwhile.

Would I have been happier with the SP, adding a lot of the Strada stuff to permit the 300 to 400 mile days of exploration? I just don't like the idea of lifting a leg over that nose bleed seat height all day, nor not being flat foot.

The best compromise is what I did. A regular ride height Strada and this suspension upgrade.

Considering that the new 939 has the same chassis and suspension, this review provides 3rd party insight as to the difference between OE and SP suspension.

In addition, I ride a lot off-road on easy Jeep trails and just barely paved fire roads in National Forests. For these roads the OE suspension just plain doesn't work at the speeds I ride.

These backroad passes allow for spirited riding without traffic or upsetting law enforcement.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Isn't it sad we have to upgrade the suspension on an already pricey bike? Even the SP is not good. I like the extra ground clearance and can flat-foot my SP, so the 'strada or standard 'motard was out of the question. But now I am looking into a complete fork replacement as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm accustomed to replacing suspension on every vehicle, cars and motorcycles. So, expect the added price.

This is because my expectations are much more demanding than the average purchaser. My experience with owning KTMs led me to upgrade my BMWs.

Before replacing forks, I would discuss the matter with Roger at On Road Off Road. He is really good. You have some fine tuners in California too but I'm unable to identify which. Maybe Roger can help there.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm accustomed to replacing suspension on every vehicle, cars and motorcycles. So, expect the added price.

This is because my expectations are much more demanding than the average purchaser. My experience with owning KTMs led me to upgrade my BMWs.

Before replacing forks, I would discuss the matter with Roger at On Road Off Road. He is really good. You have some fine tuners in California too but I'm unable to identify which. Maybe Roger can help there.
Absolutely. This is a lesson I learned buying this bike (my first new street bike). Next time I will buy a base model (or used) and budget the hand-picked upgrades.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Absolutely. This is a lesson I learned buying this bike (my first new street bike). Next time I will buy a base model (or used) and budget the hand-picked upgrades.
I have concluded years ago that I'm not the size of rider motorcycles are built around. 6' 2" just doesn't fit a lot of bikes. Most bike specifications aren't for the type of barely paved backroads I so enjoy.

So yes, a regular version, with upgrades that match you and your preferred riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can't argue why the Motard is higher now that I have a Strada and I'm dragging my toes. Also with a 33-34" inseam, I'm on my toes with a Motard. That's a non-starter, so like RSL, I want to have most of my feet on the ground at stops, when the old lady is on the back and I've also been spoiled by good after market suspension on my other bikes. Combine that with the more touring slant of the Strada since I like to sport tour and I bought it knowing I would have to upgrade the suspension. Also, like RSL, I do not think Ohlins factory is as good as Ohlins aftermarket. So, I've made my peace with getting off a couple of grand to make it handle more like what I'm used to. I'm also going to upgrade the brake master cylinder for better feedback (Strada has standard MC and SP has radial, which is where I'm going).

So, like RSL, I'm getting off some money to upgrade the suspension, seriously considering doing exact what he did, to be more like my other bikes. This bike is unbelievably easy to ride and fun to ride. 200 mile test ride and I was hooked despite the suspension. Suspension upgrade is a big expense but I want what I want...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Isn't it sad we have to upgrade the suspension on an already pricey bike? Even the SP is not good. I like the extra ground clearance and can flat-foot my SP, so the 'strada or standard 'motard was out of the question. But now I am looking into a complete fork replacement as well.
Hi there! Haven't you found a fork set-up you can live with? In combination with the 100 N/mm shock-spring (reb. damp. 8-9; comp. damp. 7-9), I found (advised by the much race-experienced & Öhlins trained head mechanic at my dealer's) that reducing the pre-load on the fork springs by about 2 turns, increasing rebound damp. by 2 clicks & reducing compr. damp. by a similar amount - if you like - worked pretty well. Since I had raised the front a little before (i.e. pushed the fork legs through), ground clearance is not compromised.
It's true though, the SP's suspension works very well when you ride hard & fast on mountain roads, but the bike's a fish out of water if abused for touring or observing the haghway code ...

I've heard good things about MUPO suspension, but I thought they were more race oriented?

Cheers!

BTW: compliments on the thread starter`s workshop - my appartment's never looked as cn & tidy as this!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hi there! Haven't you found a fork set-up you can live with? In combination with the 100 N/mm shock-spring (reb. damp. 8-9; comp. damp. 7-9), I found (advised by the much race-experienced & Öhlins trained head mechanic at my dealer's) that reducing the pre-load on the fork springs by about 2 turns, increasing rebound damp. by 2 clicks & reducing compr. damp. by a similar amount - if you like - worked pretty well. Since I had raised the front a little before (i.e. pushed the fork legs through), ground clearance is not compromised.
It's true though, the SP's suspension works very well when you ride hard & fast on mountain roads, but the bike's a fish out of water if abused for touring or observing the haghway code ...

I've heard good things about MUPO suspension, but I thought they were more race oriented?

Cheers!

BTW: compliments on the thread starter`s workshop - my appartment's never looked as cn & tidy as this!
Hi newt!! Yes, I am finding it working mostly well right now. I also have the 100N/mm shock spring, which was a good upgrade. I am not sure what the shock settings are, but I think they are close to stock. On the fork I am 9 clicks out rebound and 8 clicks out compression. I believe stock is 14 clicks out (of 28). This is partly due to changing to Spectro 7.5W oil which is ever so slightly thinner than stock. Also I am at 2 turns of preload (stock is 5 turns). I have found that the least amount of added preload is best for small bump compliance when hard on the throttle. This seems to be the best combo for hooligan riding and it has never lost traction. It is harsh on very bumpy roads however. I would prefer an open-bath fork with an adjustable base-valve for high and low speed compression.

Do you experience much brake dive? I have needed to increase fork compression to help slow the rate of dive. I think the standard springs are correct.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi kuksul08!

Yes, I found that reducing compr. damp. - as advised - wasn't my thing: too much dive under braking. Mine's 12 clicks open (as is rebound). My pre-load is 2.5 turns more open than standard (I think that's about 2.5 turns shut, from fully open). This way it works more harmoniously with the softer rear shock spring - but no, it's not perfect.

Still, while many here complain about the SP's harsh stock set-up: with the 100 N/mm rear shock spring the suspension soaks up so much that my battered spine doesn't complain despite riding about 12'000 miles a year on the Duc alone (+ 4'000 miles commuting on a scooter, which is not so plush ...). I've had to sell other bikes because my back & knees couldn't take it (e.g. Husqvarna Nuda 900 R, GSX 1400). The seating position/ergonomics obviously suit my lanky frame too.

I wonder if the 939's Öhlins fork is any better ...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hi kuksul08!

Yes, I found that reducing compr. damp. - as advised - wasn't my thing: too much dive under braking. Mine's 12 clicks open (as is rebound). My pre-load is 2.5 turns more open than standard (I think that's about 2.5 turns shut, from fully open). This way it works more harmoniously with the softer rear shock spring - but no, it's not perfect.

Still, while many here complain about the SP's harsh stock set-up: with the 100 N/mm rear shock spring the suspension soaks up so much that my battered spine doesn't complain despite riding about 12'000 miles a year on the Duc alone (+ 4'000 miles commuting on a scooter, which is not so plush ...). I've had to sell other bikes because my back & knees couldn't take it (e.g. Husqvarna Nuda 900 R, GSX 1400). The seating position/ergonomics obviously suit my lanky frame too.

I wonder if the 939's Öhlins fork is any better ...
Only one way to find out :)

The interesting thing about this bike.... is that minor changes in the fork dive or suspension settings is VERY noticeable due to how high you sit on the bike. When you put on the brakes hard, if the front dives you have a tendency to feel like you're going to fly over the front. On many other bikes, you feel the dive, but get pushed more into the tank. A very different feeling.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm considering the single fork mupo drop in, and have the stock Sachs shock revalved and sprung. I'm at about 27,000 miles and I can feel things starting to move around on bumpy sweepers. This would be about $900 total if I do the work myself. Never have done a fork - it's all fun until someone loses an eye.

·
Registered
393 Posts
So the search for a single fork mupo drop in was fruitless. They list it for the hyperstrada but I think it's only for the base motard. I'll never really know as communication with Mupo and a racing shop turned into a Marx brother's skit without the funny parts. Everyone did their best - I'm sure.

Anyway, my suspension, after 5 years of hard riding, is either not doing well, or not doing very much at all sooo in trawling the web I found that with the strong dollar and the weak Euro, international websites are a good bargain right now. I just ordered a full front fork kit from Italy for $921 delivered. I also found that my ducati store will be happy to install them for about the price of tools I'd need to attempt this myself (I mean how often am I going to do this - and with a proper front suspension on another bike I'd need just a $13.000 spring tool....) We'll see how it pans out, but I'm thinking, unless it all goes south, that I just save about $600 on the cartridges and $2-300 on mailing my forks around the country. Since the bike is coming due for its 36,000 mile valve/belt inspection, just about the time Italy gets back from vacation, we'll schedule it all at the same time. Lets see where the chips fall.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts