Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1996 900SS CR hybrid/mongrel - 2005 MTS1000S DS - 2012 Hyper 796
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I picked up a 1996 900 SS CR that is something of a mongrel, in a good way mostly. I'm hoping that you all can help me ID the suspension components.

First -- The rear appears to be a 3-way adjustable Showa (or what is it?). Is there a specific model number for this shock? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Eric -- Thanks -- you serviced my Multi and Hyper last January -- both running great.

OK, how about the front end on my 900, Showa or Marzocchi? Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, looks like Marzocchi, per this thread from 2018 --

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I thought the CRs had one adjustment on the rear damper (none of them were '3-way'; spring preload isn't a damper adjustment). It would seem it's either been swapped or it's a case of Ducati using whatever they had on hand to complete the bike (as was the case often back then).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ Thanks. Just trying to figure out what I've got. I'll probably bring or send the shock to someone, like Eric, to refresh. 20K miles indicated on the bike with some obvious changes from original.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
My ‘96 CR also had an adjustable Showa shock with Marzocchi non adjustable forks. From everything I’ve read they didn’t come that way.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That fork looks like a Monster fork judging from the fork bottoms. Could be later, post 99 SS I suppose but the fender mounts from a 1996 fork aren’t straight like that. More like a dog leg looking affair.

It is possible the shock is a similar vintage as I bought a used 1999 SSie Sachs shock for mine and it looks identical to the one pictured.

Measured eye hole to eye hole the Sachs is right around 12mm longer than the OEM Showa from 1993 that I removed. Just wish there were a better course of options for a rebuild/refresh. Considering a Bitubo once I’ve got mine going again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Iwannaduc - thanks. What you say about the fender mounts on the fork legs would explain why the trailing edge of the fender rubs the tire. I'll be making up some simple extension brackets for the fender mounting. And thanks for the shock info. (y)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
No probs. Here’s what an early SS fork bottom should look like:

This is what my originals looked like....and evident why I replaced with
1996 SS/SP forks.

I don’t know if it will make a difference to how the rear of the fender sits, assuming you have an early SS fender. I would think you’d need to move your upper hole forward to pull the rear of the fender up.....sean

·
Premium Member
4,016 Posts
Yes those are marzzocci forks and are proper both shock and fork for a us model CR. The marzzocci like the showas are over dampened and under sprung, unlike the showas they are not easily re-valved (not cost effective). If the chrome on the marzzocci has not worn out (common issue) then springing the front gets you a 75% improvement but all you have for damping is oil changes.

If I owned the bike and had a good set of forks (condition) I would likely spring them and be happy enough, if you know that will not cut it for you then I would look to replace them with ... something better and keep them on a shelf to allow the bike to return to stock some day.

The fender mount does not look uncommon to me I will take a peek at some i have to verify, yes a CR fender is different as Ducati made a different fender for the CR. luckily you can shim a CR fender to fit a 120/70 tire or simply buy the sp,ss fender that was taller . As far as I know all carbon fenders are sp height. I have not seen a set of fork lowers that had a different height in the same bolt spacing.

Nice to see the collection growing a supersport is about as good a classic carbureted motorcycle as it gets... well after a few warts are removed.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Very happy with my re-sprung marzzocci forks (#9 Racetech), and even though I just finished rebuilding the original SP forks that the bike came with I have not swapped out the temporary marzzocci yet.

Some modern taller tires (Dunlop Q3 & 4) will rub even on the SP aftermarket fender but it can be shimmed or trimmed to lift it a few mm in the back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks, Eric, Rock --

The bike has 120/70 front, and 160/70 rear, Pilot Power 2CT, very little wear, but 5 years old per the DOT code. I am not motivated to return the bike to stock, just get it in good working order.

Eric -- I'll be in touch about refreshing the shock and the forks, I can bring or send 'em.

I bought my first SS/CR (a '97) new in 1998, yellow, loved it, sold it in 2000, needed the money. Now that I have another, I really like the simplicity.

- Kurt

PS -- found this thread from 2018 on the Sachs shock -- scroll down for good summary by ducvet --

1 - 15 of 15 Posts