Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my struggling in trying to communicate my question:

I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it". With regards to my 06 749s I feel like my suspension is fine. I am however 6'4" and 240lbs solid and have been told that my setup from the factory is for someone approx 50lbs
lighter. It also doesn't help that I have nothing to compare my suspension to with respect to a properly setup ducati...... So, my suspension feels "fine", but I don't really know how it ought to feel.

On an off ramp to my house there are several hard bumps in the road that are about 3" raised across the whole width of the road. My sports coups gets jarred pretty hard on these when I drive over it. I have to raise out of the saddle of my bike when I ride over these. SHOULD the suspension just eat these up and cruise right over? (for instance) When I sit on my bike the bike sags about 3/4" which I believe is normal. I don't know how to dial suspension so I hve just left it alone.

Perhaps some would reccomend a spring kit?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I know I haven't really aske a specific question.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Your fork springs are 1.0kg/mm which is probably okay for for your weight on the street.

Your shock, however, is sprung for a sub-150lb rider. The Showa shock on the S model is a decent unit, and it'll run about $400 to have it re-sprung/valved to suit your weight.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
FYI......... for the XX9 -except -r models....
The OEM shock spring is a 70 Nm unit. The Section8 recommended unit for a 150- 165 lb rider is the 85 Nm unit. I am 220 lb for which a 100- 110 unit is recommended.

I installed a 90 Nm unit to start with. I get my 15mm/30mm sag numbers from that and find it plenty firm for street riding........... I think the 100Nm unit would cause kidney damage!!

The OEM front springs are 0.95 kg units and I can't get less than 25mm of free sag with full pre-load dialed in, and I want only 15mm. I do get free-sag +15 mm loaded, so the spring rate looks to be ok, but the pre-load spacers seem a tad short.

YMMV

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your fork springs are 1.0kg/mm which is probably okay for for your weight on the street.

Your shock, however, is sprung for a sub-150lb rider. The Showa shock on the S model is a decent unit, and it'll run about $400 to have it re-sprung/valved to suit your weight.
Would it make any sense to upgrade to an ohlins in the rear then?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI......... for the XX9 -except -r models....
The OEM shock spring is a 70 Nm unit. The Section8 recommended unit for a 150- 165 lb rider is the 85 Nm unit. I am 220 lb for which a 100- 110 unit is recommended.

I installed a 90 Nm unit to start with. I get my 15mm/30mm sag numbers from that and find it plenty firm for street riding...........

The OEM front springs are 0.95 kg units and I can't get less than 25mm of free sag with full pre-load dialed in, and I want only 15mm. I do get free-sag +15 mm loaded, so the spring rate looks to be ok, but the pre-load spacers seem a tad short.

YMMV

I don't understand any of that

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I don't understand any of that
Better start a lot of reading before you pick up a wrench, then..... That's all real basic suspension stuff.....

Y................ The Showa shock on the S model is a decent unit, and it'll run about $400 to have it re-sprung/valved to suit your weight.

Showa on the "S"??

My "S" is all Ohlins.......

No!! You start with getting the springing right, then mess with the damping (shock settings). When you get to the point that you think you can actually tell the difference in performance when you shift the settings 4-5 clicks, you might consider a shock upgrade.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Showa on the "S"??

My "S" is all Ohlins.......
749 "S" came with Showa suspension stuff, the 999 S came with Ohlins

Ive never heard of someone having there suspension done by a reputable suspension guy and not LOVING it. if your bike is stock,, your about 100lbs too heavy for that suspension! have it redone and let us know how day and night it is!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
It might be, that's up to you... If you bought a new one and had the retailer (i.e. Kyle Racing) build the shock to spec for you, then it's probably cost-effective. If you buy a used Ohlins, it's likey you'll still need to shell out the cash to have it resprung/valved unless it's already set for your weight. You're a little bigger than the average Duc rider, and most shocks out there are too soft for the average weight rider.

What Brian posted up was recommed spring rate numbers. IIRC, all the Showa forks on the xx9 series came with 1.0 kg/mm springs (very stiff for most riders) and the Ohlins forks are equipped w/ .95's. Research how to check your sag, you'll probably find that the forks springs will work for your weight. I cant you with certainty that your shock (if stock) is screaming for mercy, no offense intended ;)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Brian, I'm assuming the O.P. has a 749S, as indicated in his signature... Showas all around, if stock
I love this place! I learn something new almost every day!

I thought that the 749 "S" would be Ohlins equipped like my 999"S"..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts