Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a test, I plan to replace the rear spring with a lighter one in an attempt to soften and quicken up the shocks characteristics. We have frost heave up here and rough roads are a fact of life. In previous tests I have removed up to 100% of the existing spring preload as well as taking out pretty much all the rebound, and both compression damping screws. The back end is still stiff enough (or slow enough) that I'm forced to ride with my weight off the seat to avoid getting bucked off. Apparently the spring is relatively suitable for my weight -it's just the bike is designed for pool table smooth tarmac.
My questions are, if I change the spring from an 8.0 to 7.5 do I automatically have to consider new valving as well? How far can I go before a revalve? Could a revalve be considered more important than a different spring?
Thanks for any suggestions offered.

·
Super Moderator
26,544 Posts
Replacing the spring with a softer one won't make the ride any better. What you are feeling is high speed compression damping not letting the shock compress fast enough, mostly because the bike was designed for billiard table smooth racetracks.

·
Banned
389 Posts
call Dan Kyle (www.kyleusa.com).

Replacing spring(s) will MOST DEFINITELY make the ride better as function of your weight. e.g. the 1098 is sprung for 2 gorilla-up riding WITH luggage. Don't listen to mere opinions on these boards call a pro.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Replacing the spring with a softer one won't make the ride any better. What you are feeling is high speed compression damping not letting the shock compress fast enough, mostly because the bike was designed for billiard table smooth racetracks.
+1. Compression damping is usually what people perceive as the bike being too stiff.

If you go too soft on the spring, you may create other problems. Don't change the spring without first consulting a suspension expert as you may be wasting your money and/or creating other problems.

PS-You didn't say which bike was having the trouble. If it's the D16, it may just be the way it was designed to operate. Softening the bike may kill it's handling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts