Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently traded my 2010 Sport for a 2012 Pikes Peak. Noticed the front forks on the PP felt very choppy(harsh). It is broken in so I reset to factory defaults. No change.
I always ran stock default settings on the Sport and never had this problem.
Can anyone tell me why the PP default settings would feel so different.
I don't believe they changed anything from 2010 to 2012.
Any thoughts or advice(what to try or change):confused: :confused:would be appreciated.
:confused:

·
Registered
347 Posts
My bike is a 2010 MTS1200S.
Maybe this will apply, maybe not, but it's easy to change. I recently had Dave Moss a local suspension guru look at my set up and tires. He thought I had to much rebound going on, front and rear. So I dialed the rebound down a few from default in the front and back. It seemed better, but just to play around I dialed the rebound in the front a few more clicks, it started doing what you described so I came back 2 clicks up from there and now it feels fine. I'm out of town, but when I get back I'll post my settings, just can't remember off hand. So to restate, too little rebound made the front harsh and choppy.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My bike is a 2010 MTS1200S.
Maybe this will apply, maybe not, but it's easy to change. I recently had Dave Moss a local suspension guru look at my set up and tires. He thought I had to much rebound going on, front and rear. So I dialed the rebound down a few from default in the front and back. It seemed better, but just to play around I dialed the rebound in the front a few more clicks, it started doing what you described so I came back 2 clicks up from there and now it feels fine. I'm out of town, but when I get back I'll post my settings, just can't remember off hand. So to restate, too little rebound made the front harsh and choppy.
Makes sense.

Remember: in setup, lower number means MORE damping :think:

I like to think of the damping settings as "velocities", i.e. higher number (less damping) higher suspension velocity; lower number (more damping) lower suspension velocity. May not be quite "appropriate" but it helps me remember.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Silver, make sure that the preload (adjustment) in both fork tubes is set the same or close to. It's worth checking out.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
My PP 2012's suspension was soo bad out the box I had to tweak most of it, the back was too soft and the front was too stiff.
All I remember going up about 15 numbers on the front (rebound) and lowering the setting on the back from 6 to a 3 (compression I think), I also sunk the forks 10mm into the triple that added more front feel in my case and that was perfect for me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Silverthump,

Any new developments?

I am actually wondering if default suspension settings of the PP model are any different from the regular MTS1200S.

My understanding is that they should be all the same. And the differences between PP and 1200S were sort of on a cosmetic side:

- paint job
- windscreen
- different seat
- no centerstand and heat grips on the PP model
- no side luggage

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oalvarez and LaRossa,
Thank you for the recommendation regarding checking the preload.
Got around to doing that this weekend.
The left and right fork were so far off I am surprised I could even ride it.
Both now set to six with stock defaults and it felt like my 2010S.
Now I can start to fine tune.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Maybe a silly question but how does one check the settings per fork?
Pre-load is manual; pull the adjusters, set it like you would any other bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts