Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '06 Ducati 749 with the stock Showa/Sachs suspension and Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas with 6 trackdays on them. I'm at an Intermediate pace and looking to make an upgrade on this machine.

I've priced out some items and this is what I'm trying to decide between:

Suspension
- 1198 Showa forks with the Racetech Gold Valve cartridge fork system and a 999 Showa shock that was sent to Racetech to be rebuilt.
- 1198 front axle and spacers
- M4 monoblock calipers

Tires
- Pirelli Superbike Slicks SC1/SC2
- STG Tire Warmers
- Honda EU2200i generator

Each upgrade comes out to roughly $1400. Which would you choose?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Suspension and a set of Supercorsa SP2.

Forget the slicks and warmers.

Use the generator for a big fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Post a picture of your tires.

Neither. You can run stock 1997 suspension and dual compound tires in advanced class and still run mid to front pack. Spend the money on more time at the track.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm leaning towards neither, getting Supercorsa SP V2s and reassessing. I think this may be one of those times I got a little idea in my head and next thing I know I'm 2 miles down the rabbit hole and convinced I need $5k in parts.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,363 Posts
I'm leaning towards neither, getting Supercorsa SP V2s and reassessing. I think this may be one of those times I got a little idea in my head and next thing I know I'm 2 miles down the rabbit hole and convinced I need $5k in parts.
But it sure is fun to get on that thinking train. :D

·
19,081 Posts
I would still get a better shock and rebuild the forks with Goldvalves or a cartridge kit. The stock stuff on the base 749 sucked as bad as what came on my Monster. There’s a lot of room for improvement there that does wonders for your self confidence.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Suspension and a set of Dunlop Q4's.

Reactions: DuckMan

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Many of us have been there. Don't think about what you need to go faster other than developing your skills. I can run advanced w/ a 250 or KTM390 stock no problem. Ride a bit longer, go advance, then wait for the day when a racer needs practice and shows up the same day as you... leaned over at 110mph and passes like you are sitting still... on a 600 with slicks.

·
19,081 Posts
Yea, and Rossi could whoop all our butts on a clapped out RD350. So what?

Even a novice can appreciate descent suspension. The old worn out stock stuff needs help to go fast.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Post a picture of your tires.
Here is the Rosso Corsa rear. In the last couple of track days it has gotten a little slidey in both the front and the rear towards the end of the day and when I push harder than normal.

·
19,081 Posts
Doesn’t look to bad to me. Just a touch of cold tear when accelerating off the turns. I’d drop the pressure a couple psi cold.

I’m no expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once. :)

·
19,081 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

Ask yourself (and I’d like to hear the answer), how does he do it on such a low rent bike.

If you are referring to suspension needs I have to ask a question. Are you aware of the different needs of a 300 lb, 35 hp bike compared to a 450 lb, 100 hp bike ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a touch of cold tear when accelerating off the turns.
That wear pattern is atypical for me and I might know what caused that. I was tailing a coach who was testing me for a bump up to the next group. He was on slicks and ran a full red group pace from turn 3 (blend in point). I was trying to keep up with the coach in my warm up lap.

Maybe not though, as I type this my mind is telling me a wear pattern emerging on lap 1 would be gone by the end of the session. Probably let my pressures wander.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts