Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2000 Ducati 996 about 6 months ago. It's got the gold nitride Showa's in front, and the Ohlin shock out back and an Ohlins steering damper. Standard size tires. I weigh 170 lbs. Most of my riding is curvy back roads around the Placerville area.

I've been enjoying it as weather permits, but it's always seemed a bit skittish. It doesn't turn in very easy and seems a bit jumpy while cornering.

I've done all the forum searches, set up the suspension to recommended baseline specs and the bike still doesn't seem all it could be.

I picked up a 2003 Yamaha R1 that had the suspension tuned for a 190lb rider and it handles like a DREAM. Very confident handling and it just begs to be leaned over and over and over. It handles bumps much better and just feels much more stable and planted.

Now that I know what a real sportbike is supposed to handle like, I know the Duc isn't set up right.

Who would you guys recommend as the local Guru to Sacramento, that can help me get this Duc set up right, and make it all it can be?

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
First and foremost, when was the last time the seals and fluid were replaced in the forks?

Not in Sac, but these this company comes in highly recommended from some friends, including Ed Sorbo, Chris Ulrich's ex-Crew Chief (RoadRacingWorld.com).

http://www.le-suspension.com/

And Dan Kyle, always a great source for Ducs, even if he is a little farther away.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Before you spend money on suspension, one thought...

Is it currently on the tire brand/model/size you intend to stick with?

Tires make a huge difference and can change the handling of the bike quite a bit. I'd say start by getting the tires you want on the bike first, then re-evaluate what it's doing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
would require a trip to the south bay but i would recommend catalyst reaction
+1 Dave is the man. If the suspension hasn't been serviced in a couple years, then have the fluid replaced. Plus, get it re-sprung for your weight.

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
+1 Dave at Catalyst Reaction is the best. From what I remember, Dave doesn't handle the work at the South Bay location. Jim and Nikki man the doors at the shop. It may be different during the winter time though. During track season, Dave is always bouncing around from different track days from Thill down to B-willow. Jim and Nikki do great work though. I had them do some work on my forks on my old 748 a few years back.

Dan Kyle is also another great person to deal with.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think Dave is the best choice. However...when he and I discussed doing my 1098 he suggested I see Mike Canfield since he was in Sac.
An endorsement from Dave was good enough for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts