Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have 2013 Multi 1200S with skyhook suspensions. All of a sudden after a wash, bike give me gear sensor, DSS and BBS errors together. After one day, i disconnected battery terminals. Errors seems gone but bike keeps "DSS preload calibration, wait" message everytime i turn ignition on. Cylindiric preload adjuster seems working as something turns inside but after a few minutes, bike stops the process by illuminating engine diognosis light on the dash. It seems skyhook doesnt work. Does it mean that i have a faulty preload adjuster ?

Lenovo P2 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, maybe it helps somebody else. I have solved the problem today with the help of a close friend who is running a motorcycle repair shop. First, i brought the bike to an official Ducati service. They told me that preload actuator doesn't work and needs to be replaced. I then asked for the part and learned that it is sold as a complete set with the shock. Price is around 2000 Euros !! I searched ebay for the part and found a shock together with the preload tube in working condition (which you can see under the seat, cylindric aluminum thing that holds actuator motor inside) for about $150 which is very reasonable compared to a brand new one.

Anyway, guaranteeing a solution, i decided to open the unit and find out the problem. It took us 1 hour to open the unit without any damage. A close inspection revealed that actuator motor's shaft is not aligned with the long screw which drives a piston that behaves like a master cylinder in a brake system. I have no idea what the hell happened to cause this. So we aligned everything, cleaned , filled the unit with some ATF which was advised in some forums and closed the unit. With fingers crossed, test it in the bike and woowwww, it works like a charm.

I took only one photo which shows the motor inside. But i can help people with a similar problem because i was there :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It happened again. Same conditions. After a wash, i got gear indication getting crazy first, then gear sensor error together with diagnostics light followed by BBS and DSS errors. I pulled gear sensor out. Considering it always happens after a wash, i carefully heated the sensor with a heatgun. I then sealed the back of the sensor with some self fusing silicon tape and reinstalled. All errrors disappeared. I think sensor gets some water causing a short inside. I look forward to next wash :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
It happened again. Same conditions. After a wash, i got gear indication getting crazy first, then gear sensor error together with diagnostics light followed by BBS and DSS errors. I pulled gear sensor out. Considering it always happens after a wash, i carefully heated the sensor with a heatgun. I then sealed the back of the sensor with some self fusing silicon tape and reinstalled. All errrors disappeared. I think sensor gets some water causing a short inside. I look forward to next wash :)

Weird problem huh! That's a new one... I bought one of these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2800W-L...hash=item41add130b4:m:miro3TdHNqxSRhUpL8XdbsQ

Use it to dry EVERYTHING after I wash the bike. It works very well for something that was quite cheap. Might help you in the future... Only downside is it is VERY loud. I literally wear ear plugs, and ear muffs using it. I didn't the first time and my hearing was dulled for the rest of the day :eek:

Thanks for updating the thread with your findings!

·
Premium Member
12,388 Posts
What da hey gets so dirty that you have to wash it?

My head feels better when I stop hitting it against the wall.
Like sticking your finger in a lamp socket to see if there is power....

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Weird problem huh! That's a new one... I bought one of these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2800W-L...hash=item41add130b4:m:miro3TdHNqxSRhUpL8XdbsQ

Use it to dry EVERYTHING after I wash the bike. It works very well for something that was quite cheap. Might help you in the future... Only downside is it is VERY loud. I literally wear ear plugs, and ear muffs using it. I didn't the first time and my hearing was dulled for the rest of the day :eek:

Thanks for updating the thread with your findings!
do you carry it around when you ride in the rain. don't tell me, you don't ride when its raining. do ducatis melt if they get wet/:)

·
comrade moderator
27,184 Posts
I so want one of these bikes but only after someone finds a way to strip them of all the electronic foo foo.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
If you really wanted one Chucky I don’t think it would be to difficult to run a 10/1198 harnes, dash and ecu.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts