Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is likely old business for the regulars around here but I am still in the FNG status so I might as well post in case another newbie needs it.

1. Suspension. After getting the new to me used SS the first order of business was to set up the suspension. I was not able to find the lower screw on the front forks until Roger-rz33v4- broke the code for me.
I now have a front end that actually absorbs some shocks and does not send then racing into my body- a concept I appreciate.

The previous owner was not a wrench turnin' kind of guy so it must have been someone farther back in history.

2. Brake Flush. Like I said, he was not a mechanical kind of guy. The front circuit came clean pretty quick and so did the clutch. Someone else must have been doing that for him.

The rear brake was virtually inoperable. I thought it was just the way they are. Tried to flush the rear circuit and the damn pedal would not go down and the DOT4 would not come out. I finally leaned on the pedal getting up off the floor on my knees and the thing went PoP! and the pedal broke free. I was able to flush out the nastiest collection of brown syrup and then I saw that the bottom of the reservoir was encrusted with old fluid and hard as a rock white precipitate. I picked it out with a metal pick, and fished out the smaller bits with a Q-tip. Then proceeded to flush the circuit. Proud to say I have a rear brake again.

There must be a moral in there somewhere....

·
Registered
207 Posts
I bet the cam belts are in great shape!! :D

It's always cool getting that stuff done yourself... kinda scary thinking "man, wonder what ELSE they forgot???" though.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
This post is likely old business for the regulars around here but I am still in the FNG status so I might as well post in case another newbie needs it.

1. Suspension. After getting the new to me used SS the first order of business was to set up the suspension. I was not able to find the lower screw on the front forks until Roger-rz33v4- broke the code for me.
I now have a front end that actually absorbs some shocks and does not send then racing into my body- a concept I appreciate.

The previous owner was not a wrench turnin' kind of guy so it must have been someone farther back in history.

2. Brake Flush. Like I said, he was not a mechanical kind of guy. The front circuit came clean pretty quick and so did the clutch. Someone else must have been doing that for him.

The rear brake was virtually inoperable. I thought it was just the way they are. Tried to flush the rear circuit and the damn pedal would not go down and the DOT4 would not come out. I finally leaned on the pedal getting up off the floor on my knees and the thing went PoP! and the pedal broke free. I was able to flush out the nastiest collection of brown syrup and then I saw that the bottom of the reservoir was encrusted with old fluid and hard as a rock white precipitate. I picked it out with a metal pick, and fished out the smaller bits with a Q-tip. Then proceeded to flush the circuit. Proud to say I have a rear brake again.

There must be a moral in there somewhere....
Thought you might like to see my bike... Look closely as hardly anything is stock anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bet the phrase "Boldly going where no man has been before" is taking on a whole new meaning :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts