Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time to change my oil on '04 ST4S. I drain the oil, change the filter, then take off the cap (14mm allen size) and NO SCREEN MESH!! Dealer changed the oil at 600 mi, did he leave it out by mistake or is this bike supposed to have one? About an inch inside the "hole" where the mesh is supposed to be there is a black, flat plate that reduces the diameter of the opening to about 1/2", but no removable mesh. WhadoIdo? Thanks!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
macc4s said:
First time to change my oil on '04 ST4S. I drain the oil, change the filter, then take off the cap (14mm allen size) and NO SCREEN MESH!! Dealer changed the oil at 600 mi, did he leave it out by mistake or is this bike supposed to have one? About an inch inside the "hole" where the mesh is supposed to be there is a black, flat plate that reduces the diameter of the opening to about 1/2", but no removable mesh. WhadoIdo? Thanks!!
Once you remove the plug and seal for the mesh screen chamber, you have to use the 14mm wrench again to unscrew the mesh screen. Check in there again and make sure it 'really' missing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right Marc........

That's exactly the thing I wasn't aware of. I've got the shop manual from a 2000 ST4, and I guess the authors figure the techs know more than us rookies! Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
Is this a year-thing, or a 2V versus 4V thing? My 1998 ST2 has a screen that just slides in, whereas my 2002 748 threads on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I changed the oil in my 05 ST3 just last week for the first time for myself. When I unsrewed the 14mm plug, I thought the very same thing. "Where in the hell is the mesh screen" Then I looked carefully and noticed another 14mm plug. I slipped in the 14mm hex socket, gave it a tug, unscrewed the 2nd plug, and there it was.

"Whew, relieved"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts