Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well maybe the combined fact that i changed my riding habits with new plugs and belts, but when i changed the timing belts I noticed that they where alittle loose and not lineing up with the timing marks perfectly, so new belts and plugs and now my duc is alot smoother and surgeing has gone down alot, how do u know if you make the belts too tight?? I mean i can still pinch them and they flex but they are tighter than before where you could pinch almost a 1/2 inch in

·
Registered
75 Posts
One tried and true method (works well for me anyways) is to use a 5mm allen wrench as a feeler gauge between the belt and the bearing OPPISITE of the tensioner. Make sure to use FLAT sides and not the points. If a 6mm goes through without much force, it's too loose. If a 4mm doesn't go through ,too tight, etc. These belts really tighten up when the engine is warm, so you don't want them adjusted too tight. A broken belt is something you don't want!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jules3 said:
One tried and true method (works well for me anyways) is to use a 5mm allen wrench as a feeler gauge between the belt and the bearing OPPISITE of the tensioner. Make sure to use FLAT sides and not the points. If a 6mm goes through without much force, it's too loose. If a 4mm doesn't go through ,too tight, etc. These belts really tighten up when the engine is warm, so you don't want them adjusted too tight. A broken belt is something you don't want!
you would think a warm belt would streach and make more play, but maybe the motor streaches also?...but i think i did good with the tightness thanks, the bike starts better and runs alot better....they have kelvar in them now, its bulletproof...ha ha ha

·
Registered
235 Posts
kevlar experiences very little thermal expansion, espicially compared to aluminum. A note on the hex wrench trick, I've always used a 6mm for the vertical cylinder, as it gets hotter and expands more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts