Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I never thought it would happen, but I'm finding myself strangely drawn to a red, very low mile, very good deal (I think, $8995 asking) 848 at my dealership. I already own a 2006 ST3s and an '06 Sport 1000, and love 'em both, but now I'm starting to be pulled to the "dark side" of Superbike ownership as well . . .

But here's the question. I don't do track days, plain and simple. Many reasons for that; location, strong spousal objections, fear of mangling my beautiful machines, etc. So, that's off the table. How many of you guys owning Superbikes actually use them primarily for road riding?

If the primary and best use for these models is on the track, then I'll cool the jets on possibly owning one. However, if they are actually and practically useable for spirited road riding for 100 - 200 mile days in the saddle, then I'd seriously think about the 848. Are they liveable in this context for a 165-lb.48 year old guy (in pretty good shape from bicycling)? Are there bar riser options available? Of course I already have the ST3s for longer days and rides, so that comes into the picture also.

I've briefly ridden an 848 and loved it, but didn't spend enough time to discover how good of an "all day" road bike it would be.

Your input welcome! thanks.

2006 Ducati ST3s
2006 Ducati Sport 1000 RED
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 stock/mint

·
Registered
589 Posts
personal decision

I think you should get whatever you want and not feel negative about the use. I'd bet that there are more superbike owners that don't track their bikes than do, but they have a BLAST!!!! on the roads on the weekends. I have several friends that own 996,999 and they only ride for pleasure. My future bike #2 will probably be a 996, and I don't plan on ever tracking.

Treat yourself :)

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
It all depends on how the bike works for you. Nothing will tell you that better than experience. I've owned two SS/SP's, two 998's (the latest being an '02 Bayliss) and (now) an '05 SS1000DS to go along with the Bayliss. Each one of these bikes has seen 500 mi. days in the northeast and cross country. They fit me perfectly. For others they would be a rack. List "wisdom" is not going to help you IMHO. If you can, go find a friend with a Superbike and ride it for a couple tanks of gas. That will give you a basic idea.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I track my SP, and ride my 749 on the road. Perfect for me.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I put 13,500 miles on my 848 just daily riding it and unless you have very smooth pavement streets, I wouldn't bother moving over to one. They're really harsh bikes to ride in some cases, where the monsters and supersports absorb, the 848/1098 punishes with a sore and hot bum. I almost feel like the bike has zero interest to have me on it, which is sad because besides the harshness and on very smooth pavement, the bike is very nice.

You can get rid of the harshness by purchasing springs that suit you as a rider better, but it will never ALL go away. The superbikes are always going to be stiffer then you're average ordinary street ducati.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I put 13,500 miles on my 848 just daily riding it and unless you have very smooth pavement streets, I wouldn't bother moving over to one. They're really harsh bikes to ride in some cases, where the monsters and supersports absorb, the 848/1098 punishes with a sore and hot bum. I almost feel like the bike has zero interest to have me on it, which is sad because besides the harshness and on very smooth pavement, the bike is very nice.

You can get rid of the harshness by purchasing springs that suit you as a rider better, but it will never ALL go away. The superbikes are always going to be stiffer then you're average ordinary street ducati.
All true, but you can't be a decent poseur on a Multistrada...:D

·
Registered
286 Posts
I put 2600 street miles on an 848. No problems whatsoever. The only problem is that the bike is not happy unless you are breaking the law.

You can get adjustable clip-ons to make the ride easier, but you'll get used to the superbike, a/k/a "torture rack" pretty quickly. You just have to take the weight off the wrists and use your core to sit up.

I gave up street riding completely because I was doing very stupid things on the street. Superbikes are too fast for street use in my opinion.

Now, I just do track days on an 1198. Much happier and safer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ducati's superbikes are absolutely brilliant (better than the R1 I have) when ridden in their element ie. twisties and fast. They are a relative pain in the ass on the straight parts between the twisties. The difficulty lies in the space between my ears, I tend to go faster and faster in the back country twisties and it can be difficult to muster the discipline to slow down at times because the bike is so good! Probably won't find a more specialized bike. I'm 6' , 175 # 53 years old and ride a 999r which is probably slightly more user friendly than the new bikes.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
If you live in an area where everything is a straight line (ie - Texas), I wouldn't bother. Get a Hayabusa or something.

But being in California, I'm surrounded by thousands of miles of mountain, canyon, back and twisty roads just in SoCal alone. THAT'S why I have always bought superbikes.

However, I'll probably pick up a Streetfighter someday to have a more 'comfy' Superbike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've logged over 10,000 miles on my '07 1098S Tricolore, 6000 on the '06 999R Xerox and 4000 since the end of May on the '09 1098R Bayliss LE.
The two R1s and the CBR1000RR each only have around 2000 on them in the past 2 years. I've only done two track days on the Tricolore and all the rest of the miles have been on the street including a lot of commuting miles.
Get the picture? :think:
You can ride a superbike on the street every day and really enjoy it.
I'm 5'9" 160 lbs and 53 years old and easily can spend a 5 or 6 hour, 2-300 mile day in the saddle.
Go for it! :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, I never thought it would happen, but I'm finding myself strangely drawn to a red, very low mile, very good deal (I think, $8995 asking) 848 at my dealership. I already own a 2006 ST3s and an '06 Sport 1000, and love 'em both, but now I'm starting to be pulled to the "dark side" of Superbike ownership as well . . .

But here's the question. I don't do track days, plain and simple. Many reasons for that; location, strong spousal objections, fear of mangling my beautiful machines, etc. So, that's off the table. How many of you guys owning Superbikes actually use them primarily for road riding?

If the primary and best use for these models is on the track, then I'll cool the jets on possibly owning one. However, if they are actually and practically useable for spirited road riding for 100 - 200 mile days in the saddle, then I'd seriously think about the 848. Are they liveable in this context for a 165-lb.48 year old guy (in pretty good shape from bicycling)? Are there bar riser options available? Of course I already have the ST3s for longer days and rides, so that comes into the picture also.

I've briefly ridden an 848 and loved it, but didn't spend enough time to discover how good of an "all day" road bike it would be.

Your input welcome! thanks.

2006 Ducati ST3s
2006 Ducati Sport 1000 RED
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 stock/mint

It's mind over matter! I never listen to critics or authors of bike/car reviews. You ride and drive what you like or at my age (46) what your body/wallet can tolerate.( I'm 6' 180lbs) I have an 88 BMW M5 that I drove it everyday since I bought it new in 1987...regardless of it's EPA rating of 11 MPG city and 19 MPG Hwy! Body of the car has over 300K miles. It was not as comfortable as my other cars but the way the car made me feel while driving it.....:D I have riden my 900SP almost every single day since I got it almost 6 months ago. I ride her to work, bike nights and long canyon carvings! Sure people will tell you not to ride an old classic Ducati everyday. They are uncomfortable and breakdown. Trust me, my body can tolerate a lot of punishments as long as I'm getting some positive "stimulation" from my V-twin. They don't pay my bills and they are certainly not repsonsible for the endless bliss I feel riding a racing bike w/ headlights everyday. Hope that helps! ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, it depends on who you are but I'm 63, 5'10" and 180 lbs. and I could ride my 998 Bayliss all day in perfect comfort. Then again I'm a guy who back in 1978 rode for 25 hrs. straight on a '77 GS750. :)
Man, you guys are my inspiration! 53 and 63 yrs. young and riding these things all over. And I was starting to feel like I'm "old" at 48 . . . but have stayed in shape, which makes the idea of riding a Superbike even plausible.

Keep it up -- as a favorite blues song lyric goes, "Once you grow UP, there's nothin' left to do but grow OLD . . ." So, dont.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have had an 05 Monster, 08 848 and now a 96 900ss CR which is a keeper. I traded in the 848 and bought the CR which I can ride all day on. For me, 5'7" and age 50+, I could not do more than 40 miles without shoulders, wrists and back hurting (and getting fried by the underseat exhaust). So I think the bottom line is it depends on body type, the old CR is the most comfortable Ducati I have had.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Ride It

Ride it anyway you want and when you want! Having the roads to enjoy the bike is a plus. Going to the is a BLAST!!!! Why own them if your going to ride them?

I've seen guys bring $60,000 Duc's to the Track jst to feel the power in the open, on the street you have to many things in your way so you don't get the true feeling of the power and freedom of the bike!!! I ride less on the street now then I did before my Track addiction!

And still enjoy fall rides with fellow riders but crave the Track on any turn!

Ride it like it's your last lap......................

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
My 999 was a street-only bike for a couple of years. I only ride it for fun (as opposed to commuting on it), so I always chose my routes to suit the bike. My SS was a bit more comfortable, but not vastly so. Now, however, I've become a bit of a track day junkie, and the superbikes are definitely in their element there!

I don't do track days, plain and simple. Many reasons for that; location, strong spousal objections, fear of mangling my beautiful machines, etc. So, that's off the table.
Wow, that sucks. The location thing is a non-issue for me, and I live 15 miles from you. There is a track in St. Louis, Topeka KS, Tulsa OK, and the new one in northern KY. All within 6 hours. Since the one in Tulsa OK does 2-day track days, it is a fantastic weekend trip. As far as the fear of crashing goes, I had the same intimidation at first. Once I went, I realized the track doesn't crash you. How hard you push is completely up to you. Riding the track is much safer, because there are no trees, ditches, dogs, deer, potholes, oncoming cars, etc. All traffic is one-way, and an ambulance is always less than a minute from you. Having said that, the track does entice you to push a bit! :cool: With track plastics and sliders, you can protect your bike. I have low-sided my last two track outings (my fault! Not the track's!), but once I take the track stuff off and put the street stuff back on, you can't even tell. The spousal objections are harder to overcome. My wife is staunchly anti-motorcycle. Somehow, I managed to convince her to come with me for a few track days. She still doesn't like it, but admits the track is safer than sport riding on public roads. The track is simply the best and proper venue if you enjoy "fracturing" a few speed limits on curvy roads. It may be futile, but I would love to work on changing your "don't do track days" mentality!

A group of us from Columbia and J.C. have "Bike Nights" at Woody's Pub and Grub in Ashland on Monday nights. Colder weather has pretty much ended our gatherings for this season, but you should definitely come out whenever the weather is decent. We have my 999, an 848, a 1098, and a couple of Monsters in the group, too. If I remember right, I talked to you earlier this spring, but we never saw you!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
"it's better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"

+ 1 on the 95 SS CR being the most comfortable bike ever...
That supersports are awesome is what we are here about on this forum...

I loved the quote I think it was Kenny Roberts .. ( are you too young to know of him..?? well lets say he was the pioneer of super bikes)

"it's better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow":think::think::think::think::think::think:

These superbikes are great and my friends have wrecked many of them riding on the street....just last weekend my friend stuffed his 1098 under a guard rail!!!

I guess if you have the balls to "chance-em" or for the track or if you like posing (not that there is anything wrong with that)........ get a superbike

for the street I'll just keep my 2v bikes and hot rod them some... and ride the shit out of them and not worry about lighting up the rear tire powering out of a corner.. or going WAY TOO FAST around a corner into the back of a cager....
not even the fact that you need to do maintenance. I do all my own wrenching and like to keep things simple...

but it would look nice sitting in my living room..... I do like the styling maybe a modern SB faring on an older bike would suffice?

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
869 Posts
i am 56. I have 2000 996 for the road and a modified 97 900 for the track. The 996 has cyclecat adjustable bars and Motowheels adjustable rearsets. I have ridden up to 500 miles at a time and for boring freeway riding I use a throttle meister cramp buster. Given a choice I will take a track day anytime over a road trip. You can't beat the track

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I think of the 848 as the ideal trackday Ducati tool, I don't think I can see the reason to choose one versus a 1098 or 1198 for the road. Here is my 848 review.

After many years of sportbike only ownership I have seen the Monster light and ride an S4Rs on the road and can't believe it took me so long to work out why this is the best of all worlds for the street. The Monster S4Rs review is here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts