Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

3001 - 3020 of 3841 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
'96 SS SP for New Year's!

I am so stoked! i've been lurking the motorcycle world for some time going round and round. lately i started to fairly seriously think about a 999, but kept thinking... maybe just a touch too much money and maybe i should relax... a little. so i started to think, i'm going to try to find a 900SS, after all, that bike has a home in my heart from back in the day when they first were hitting the scene. I can remember seeing Doug Pollen here at Laguna Seca.

so this morning, of all things... POW! there it is! i could hardly believe it! a '96 SS SP, right here in Monterey, about 5 miles away. totally blows my mind. Being new year's day, the banks are closed, i tried to give the owner a check simply as a place holder, but he just laughed. "we shook on it. the bike is yours. give me a call in the morning and we'll settle things."

WOW! I'M SO STOKED!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Nice buy, very tidy looking bike. What's with the first pic.
first pic is obviously a nicer pic, the last two are from my iPhone today when i went over to check out the bike. I'm very anxious to get the bike. waiting for the bank to open...

·
Registered
348 Posts
first pic is obviously a nicer pic, the last two are from my iPhone today when i went over to check out the bike. I'm very anxious to get the bike. waiting for the bank to open...
Just wondering why first pic has different fairing decals, different cans and hangers

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Just wondering why first pic has different fairing decals, different cans and hangers
I think it's a different bike in the 1st picture, was it listed on Craigslist? It seems to be a standard to use pictures on there that are not strictly the item on sale.

For what it's worth I prefer the exhausts on the actual bike and if you saw it and are into it then great. Cool to have another Monterey Bay 900SS circulating around! Funny there seems to be lots of them in the Area.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I think it's a different bike in the 1st picture, was it listed on Craigslist? It seems to be a standard to use pictures on there that are not strictly the item on sale.

For what it's worth I prefer the exhausts on the actual bike and if you saw it and are into it then great. Cool to have another Monterey Bay 900SS circulating around! Funny there seems to be lots of them in the Area.
Wow, I am so stoked with the bike. It's amazing! I can hardly believe this is actually my bike. I know it sounds weird, but I've been lurking the motorbike world since I quit riding back in the mid 90s and this bike is exactly at the moment where I left off.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1388725978.848418.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1388726002.185575.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1388726030.663395.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Finished the rehab on a 97 SP that needed TLC.

New tires, belts, fluids, fuel lines, breather hoses, ditched crap LED turn signals for OEM mud flap and signals, put stock cans back on, rebuilt the carbs, rebuilt the suspension, new tires, new brakes, new coils/wires, spark plugs and carb sync, removed/inspected/greased the swingarm, checked valve clearances. Basically, all the maintenance that was neglected by the previous owner over the past few years.

Now if only I could find neutral... :think:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Nice, I love riding around the bay and up and down the coast there, so many great roads. Especially if you can get out during the week when the roads are empty.

Are you going to get your hands dirty and give her a once over? Good time to check out for any thing that might bite like old timing belts and brake fluid overdue for a change. Then the list goes on........

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Nice, I love riding around the bay and up and down the coast there, so many great roads. Especially if you can get out during the week when the roads are empty.

Are you going to get your hands dirty and give her a once over? Good time to check out for any thing that might bite like old timing belts and brake fluid overdue for a change. Then the list goes on........
I used to love wrenching on all things motor, yes, the bike will end up getting a lot if attention. Right now my work schedule has me pinned.

Luckily the guy I bought it from, has been on bikes his whole life, at 50 with two kids, one of them a 2yr old son, house and wife... He was torn to let the bike go.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
247 Posts
Loving the view from my cubical right now.

Gotta love being able to ride to work in January. Good ole California.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Kind of chilly today on Carmel Valley Road. Had my first case of head shake while hard on the gas coming out of a turn across some ripples. Amazing bike!

it has it's moments tho, keeps me on task and reminds me to not be too relaxed. It likes to be driven.

Attachments

3001 - 3020 of 3841 Posts