Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm frustrated with the information I have read in the Haynes manual and other places about how much oil my bike takes. It says "about 3.5 litres" as I recall, but that is way too much! I only got 2.5 litres or thereabouts to come out when I drain it with a standard sized filter, and it was right in the range on the sight gauge with the bike on level ground. Has anyone accurately measured the oil capacity of these engines?

·
Premium Member
12,238 Posts
DON'T Try turning the motor over for a couple of minutes to force all the remaining oil out....

2.5 liters does not seem like enough oil..is there a full liter trapped in the motor/cooler & lines and top end ? doesn't seem likely..

Does the fresh oil look too dirty to be new after the first warm up and check procedure?

I drain the oil put about 1/4 cup in it to see it run out clean just to get the oil in the bottom out...Yeah a waste..
Hyper takes about 330 ml. less than a full 4 liter jug...
I would have concerns too .Sorry no help...

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DON'T Try turning the motor over for a couple of minutes to force all the remaining oil out....

2.5 liters does not seem like enough oil..is there a full liter trapped in the motor/cooler & lines and top end ? doesn't seem likely..

Does the fresh oil look too dirty to be new after the first warm up and check procedure?

I drain the oil put about 1/4 cup in it to see it run out clean just to get the oil in the bottom out...Yeah a waste..
Hyper takes about 330 ml. less than a full 4 liter jug...
I would have concerns too .Sorry no help...
I don't really know if any oil is trapped. Based on the way the oil cooler is arranged, there could be some trapped in there. I've often wondered about that.

I don't know the exact amount that comes out, but it is definitely less than 3 litres because I use the old bottles to store the waste oil and it doesn't fill up 3 of them. It's a little over 2.5 bottles that comes out, including the filter oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
oil capacity. . .

Just did an oil and filter change on my '96 900 SS/SP. Took 2.7 liters total, including pre-fill of the filter. Got a graduated measuring cup? Then you can know what your bike takes.

Fred

·
Registered
396 Posts
You guys sure?

My book says 1.03 gallons... 3.9 liters or 4.12 quarts... Works out good cause I just buy one of the gallon jugs, then add a splash from a quart.

For 900 00-01 Supersport atleast.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, go figure. I have no idea exactly how much oil these engines take. I looked again at what came out and it is less than 3 litres. It nearly fills up 3 US quart bottles, and I included the oil from the filter. When I went to fill it up recently, I looked at the Ducati owner's manual and it said 3.9 litres. I put in a little over 3 litres and the sight glass was completely covered by the oil (way too much). I ran the engine and checked it long after it stopped and cooled down. Still too high, covering the sight glass. I used a mighty vac and removed some oil. Yes, I checked it with the bike level and on both wheels. It's always been this way. I don't get it myself.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, go figure. I have no idea exactly how much oil these engines take. I looked again at what came out and it is less than 3 litres. It nearly fills up 3 US quart bottles, and I included the oil from the filter. When I went to fill it up recently, I looked at the Ducati owner's manual and it said 3.9 litres. I put in a little over 3 litres and the sight glass was completely covered by the oil (way too much). I ran the engine and checked it long after it stopped and cooled down. Still too high, covering the sight glass. I used a mighty vac and removed some oil. Yes, I checked it with the bike level and on both wheels. It's always been this way. I don't get it myself.
Now that you mention it... My last change I noticed on the sight glass it showed it was completly covered. I didn't look at it again until the next day but if I remember correctly, it was between the lines?

Maybe I should know for a fact by looking before I start it and take off, instead of just assuming factory specs are correct?

I'd go check now, but it's up on stands...

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 750ss took a little over 4 quarts the last change. I changed it again today and it took only 3 quarts this time including filter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just changed the oil and filter on my SS1000 for the first time and had a similar experience. Bike was good and warm. Drained the oil and filter and even removed the oil screen, getting a good dose more of oil to come out. Let her sit with all three oil ports open for an hour or more before I bolted it all back on and added oil. Expecting to add about 4 qts per specs, I went to about 3.75 and noticed the window completely covered. Let her run for a bit and the window was still covered. Ended up siphoning at least .25 qts out before I got the level just under the top line. I'm wondering as well whether the oil cooler is retaining some of the oil.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder also about the oil cooler. The lines attach at the top on both sides, so I don't think it will drain when the drain plug is removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
capacity . . .

With my '96 SS/SP, the oil cooler is mounted below the horizontal cylinder head, with the lines coming out of the bottom. Drains when the oil plug is removed.

Fred

1 - 12 of 12 Posts