Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody,

I have a "Supermono" project
Not realy a Supermono but a low budget single cylinder based on 1198 engine (rear cylinder without heads and drilled piston)

For the moment I just have :
  • 1098 crankcase
  • 1x 1198 front head and cylinder/piston
  • 1x 848 cylinder/piston
  • 1000DS cranckshaft
-> 631cc for a Single, not so bad

Which gearbox are compatible ? 1000DS, 996 ?
And the oil pump ?

I have never worked on this motor base, I prefer the oldest Desmoquattro / Desmodue so I do not know the compatibility :crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If I understand this correctly, this engine will have a rear cylinder without a head, and the piston is drilled through. Won't dirt/crap/stuff make it's way into the crankcase through the headless cylinder with the holes in the piston? Not to mention crankcase gasses being driven out of the holes in the piston and making a total mess of things beneath the fuel tank?

I'm just attempting to wrap my peanut head around what it is you're doing here.

:confused:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
it will have a cover over the piston rex. just not a typical head.

it will need a gearbox with the big nut on the output shaft - testa, 1000/1100ds, st3. what internal diameter is the input shaft bearing? might need a big input shaft too.

if it's 1098 cases use all 1098 stuff would be easiest, although that will give you a wide ratio gearbox.

you'll need to make the 848 piston the same weight as the 1198 one - maybe a solid pin.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an aluminium plate instead of the rear heads

For the rear piston I think I'm going to make a piston pin without center drilling
I want to use a 848 piston because I think the smaller diameter will cause less friction, what do you think?

I dont have a 1X98 gearbox and and it's difficult to find one in good condition, that's why I'm looking for an alternative.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would look for a 2010-2014 (maybe more but i know these are essentially 1198 engines) multistrada engine where the flywheel sheared off the crank, like mine did. Too bad you're in France, shipping my otherwise complete bottom end over might be prohibitive. Monster 1200 and the Diavel 1200 are also very similar.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Just an aluminium plate instead of the rear heads

For the rear piston I think I'm going to make a piston pin without center drilling
I want to use a 848 piston because I think the smaller diameter will cause less friction, what do you think?

I dont have a 1X98 gearbox and and it's difficult to find one in good condition, that's why I'm looking for an alternative.
Why are you keeping the "dead" cylinder? balancing purposes?

If not, could you remove the cylinder & piston entirely? then machine down the connecting rod to be more of a bushing/spacer to keep the live cylinder aligned? I've never done anything like this...just wrapping my head around it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
If not, could you remove the cylinder & piston entirely? then machine down the connecting rod to be more of a bushing/spacer to keep the live cylinder aligned? I've never done anything like this...just wrapping my head around it.
You would need counter balancing of some sorts.

What I can't wrap my head around is why this project. Loose more than half the power with just a head missing so the engine will be as large as a stock one?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

In France there is a championship reserved for the single cylinder, many of the prototype manufactured by amateurs are present (to limit the costs the power is limited to 65hp) and the Ducati Club de France races more and more of "Supermono" are built. Many racers start with a 996, 999 or 1098 engine

Some removes the cylinder / piston vertical, lightens the crankshaft and manufactures a ring to wedge laterally the connecting rod
Other keeps the vertical cylinder / piston as I want to do
The advantage is that there is no vibration, but more friction...

That's why I want to assemble a single based on 1098 engine

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the kind of motorcycle that race in France

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A friend made me test his single, it's really fun, and lightweight, 134 kg / 291 lbs for his bike without exotical material (not mag wheels for exemple)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
- 1198 cylinder not plug and play in 1098 cranckcase whithout modification
- all gearbox with dry clutch are compatible

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
24cc :grin2::grin2::grin2:

Not really a big difference but less modification !

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CAD drawing finished

I send plans to the machiner
Reception end of November

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts