Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd trackday of the year, 3rd trackday ever and had a blast!

I'm not the fastest around, still need to increase the size of my balls :eek:

But I made improvements over last times. In left turns, got the right arm against the tank in the 3rd session and the front just felt way more steady. Right turns still don't feel as good as left ones.

Have to move my rear end more over the seat and get my head more towards the front. And still no KD... :eek:

Still no rain rider thought. Rainy afternoon and the bike just didn't feel good.
Felt like I was slipping and sliding.

Comments and pointers are more than welcome!! :)

But here are some pic's from the morning sessions.

Got even more, but they all look kind of the same.

·
Registered
351 Posts
2nd trackday of the year, 3rd trackday ever and had a blast!

I'm not the fastest around, still need to increase the size of my balls :eek:

But I made improvements over last times. In left turns, got the right arm against the tank in the 3rd session and the front just felt way more steady. Right turns still don't feel as good as left ones.

Have to move my rear end more over the seat and get my head more towards the front. And still no KD... :eek:

Still no rain rider thought. Rainy afternoon and the bike just didn't feel good.
Felt like I was slipping and sliding.

Comments and pointers are more than welcome!! :)

But here are some pic's from the morning sessions.

Got even more, but they all look kind of the same.
Glad to hear you're having fun at the track. I agree there's nothing else like it.

Getting faster is not so much about growing bigger balls, it's about learning all the different skills involved by doing some good track based training such as CSS and your speed naturally increases as your skills develop.

Push yourself beyond your limits/skills thinking you will develop will end up with your nice bike getting trashed, and possibly yourself.

Also, consider paying for the pics the photographer took if you intend to post them on the net. It's how they make a living and they look better without the watermark. Apologies if they're yours. :)

Nice bike, hope you continue having fun at the track.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, pic's look better without the watermark. But at 5 euro's per photo (or 50 euro for the series) I'm going to wait until my skills make the photo more spectacular ;)

I am a bit scared to thrash the bike, so I'm happy with my progress thus far. Step by step, without looking for the limits of the bike and my skills. But I do feel this "fear" make me take much smaller steps at a time. Hard braking or getting harder on the throttle out of the corner are things I feel I can improve on, but I 'm lacking the courage to do so. I guess bigger balls will come with increasing skill :)

This is me on my first track day btw, I don't see the improvements but I do feel more comfortable on the bike! :)

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi,

Which track did you go to?

Take your time and work up to speed, if you know a few faster guys talk to them and see if one will give you a tow around the track. Following faster guys will show you the correct (or better) lines to follow. Though, don't get in over your head and make sure you ride at a pace your comfortable with.

My bike should be finished next spring, so maybee we can hook up and turn a few laps. :D

Gray

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks like the new track in mettet(Belgium) to me.
not the most easy track to start i've heard.

henk!!!
It's Mettet indeed. The corkscrew-track :)

I think it realy suits the 900SS because the fast sections aren't that long :)
I'm still running the stock 15/37 gearing on my bike, but that is way to long for this track. I can just get it to 5th gear on the straight right before hitting the brakes.

I would like to go to Croix or Folembray in France to get more comfortable with leaning the bike over. Those tracks should be even tighter en twistier than Mettet.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
do some race track based training. when you learn how to go faster the leaning will take care of itself. trying to lean the bike over or get your knee down is not the way to learn. they're the end result of learning how to go faster.

i did levels 1 - 3 of css years ago. can't ride for shit now due to no practice for 9 years, but back then it made a huge difference to my riding and my confidence level.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sure is fun!, Im a work in progress too. Going through the levels at CSS. Definatly a challenge and a wonderful sport.:D

·
Registered
856 Posts
The best way to improve your track skills is to take instruction from the pros. Sign up for a school session and you will be amazed at how much you learn and how fast you can go.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was an instructor riding ahead of the group showing the riding lines, giving pointers on leaning, where to look and body positioning.

I'll try to join another track day with instructors of an other organisation on the same track. They do a one gear no brake exercise :) Seems like this might be very usefull to gain cornering speed.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the one gear no brakes is a css thing, first lesson of level 1. although on a two stroke 250 you struggle with 3 gears to make it work (or slow down). the first session is about using the throttle to make the bike turn. amazed me that i could actually do it, and how well it worked. i had a real meaning of life moment going into the pit exit hairpin at broadford in that first lesson. did what i was taught, not what my brain was trying to make me do, bike went around corner unbelievably. i found the whole class time then track time thing very beneficial, altho some probably don't like that.

but it's all about taking the info they give and using it as it fits you. steve martin showed me around phillip island using completely different lines to what css taught us. but the css stuff makes the ride a series of events sort of thing, and gives you points to seperate what you're doing. really transformed my road riding, and gave me the ability to recognise what i was doing wrong while i was doing it. i still flap my elbows too. well, i did back when i rode for pleasure.

other schools have different drills and styles. just varying theories on how to do it, and they're all valid.

i would stop worrying about leaning altogether. as you go faster, you'll have to lean more, but it's part of the process and you'll gain comfort with the whole thing. css also teach you to turn the bike, not just lean it.

i worked with a young guy who rode a fzr400. at work track days i could ride around him on my kr1s 250, but he always complained about tyres and sliding simply because he was turning the bike by leaning it over. his tyres showed he was leaning right off the edge of them. he did the css level 1, then had no more tyre issues as he wasn't leaning it that far anymore, he was turning it instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts